Unpopular Opinions

sadya

I associate people using tea memes like that with the mostly mean comments about other people based on unproven accusations, which later often are proven to have been false all along. Perhaps people could start using tea to stop the mean baseless commentary and start calling out abuse and other terrible things. Then I'd start associating tea memes with something positive.

By the way, I like drag queens. I've seen videos of drag queens doing difficult dance steps on high heels. I couldn't do that, I'm happy to be able to just walk on heels. It's about more than their beautiful looks, many of them have all kinds of talents.

VGThuy

Too many people overusing something that was once used among a specific more insular community and then not using it appropriately always ruins that something that was once good, had power, and had a very specific or precise meaning that was meant to be used in a narrower way. Alas, it is the way of the Internet and social media.

canbelto

I guess I'll jump in. I really liked Trusova's skating. I found it gutsy and it had character. I also liked how she was unique among Eteri girls for being ... well, a strong, sturdy girl.

On My Own

One more I just thought of… Sotnikova was the much better skater between her and Lipnitskaya in 2014. However, I still think she didn’t deserve the gold or to be so high up after the SP.

We will Sochi again 😍

Sotnikova was a much stronger jumper with slightly better skating skills. I thought Lipnitskaya was the more interesting performer, though, and also the better spinner. Her LP was also the strongest program between the two.

VGThuy

We will Sochi again 😍

Sotnikova was a much stronger jumper with slightly better skating skills. I thought Lipnitskaya was the more interesting performer, though, and also the better spinner. Her LP was also the strongest program between the two.
I think Adelina just had the power, jump quality (both had flutzes), and glide across the ice whereas I found Lipnitskaya severely lacking in those areas. Lipnitskaya did have the carriage and polish and way of moving that I took for granted back in 2014 and wish we see more of now.

I’m one of the few who didn’t think Lipnitskaya’s LP that year was much to write home about in terms of substance, but it was a great vehicle for her for sure and that with her SP captured the World’s attention.

On My Own

I think Adelina just had the power, jump quality
Sotnikova actually had the strongest 2A of the entire event in the SP, IMO.

She also had a strong 3Lo. Big 3F, too, but done with a poor take off. Average quality salchow, and flutz, cheated take-off on 3T that gave her axis issues sometimes. Funnily, Lipnitskaya's only good jump was the +3T, because she did it properly and got loads of height on it lol.

VGThuy

Sotnikova actually had the strongest 2A of the entire event in the SP, IMO.

She also had a strong 3Lo. Big 3F, too, but done with a poor take off. Average quality salchow, and flutz, cheated take-off on 3T that gave her axis issues sometimes. Funnily, Lipnitskaya's only good jump was the +3T, because she did it properly and got loads of height on it lol.
Those GOEs and PCS Sotnikova received at that competition and only that competition would be hilarious if it didn’t affect other people.

On My Own

I’m one of the few who didn’t think Lipnitskaya’s LP that year was much to write home about in terms of substance, but it was a great vehicle for her for sure and that with her SP captured the World’s attention.
I agree in terms of substance. It was actually rather juniorish for its time :lol: (now it's better than most senior programs...) But it suited her well, and Averbukh did it in a manner that worked with her skating skill (slower, which gave it a sense of vulnerability). Still found it better than Sotnikova's though...

bardtoob

Sotnikova, at her best, looked like she was fighting the ice in a stylized manner. The revolutions in her jumps and spins were more of a relief to the eyes from watching her stroking than actually appealing.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

My ULTIMATE unpopular opinion is that Yuna looked like she'd rather be scrubbing bathrooms during that free skate, and I've never been able to get worked up over the fact that she didn't win. 🔥🔥🔥
Double axels and salchows. She wasn’t serious! After halfway point it was sub junior jumping.

VGThuy

My ULTIMATE unpopular opinion is that Yuna looked like she'd rather be scrubbing bathrooms during that free skate, and I've never been able to get worked up over the fact that she didn't win. 🔥🔥🔥
My unpopular opinion is that I thought Kim’s Sochi LP was one of her best performances and I was bored with her actual skates when she won commandingly at both the 2010 Olympics and 2013 Worlds. I hope skaters don’t read threads like these because they are sure to come away confused with all of our different takes. :lol:

bardtoob

I don't disagree with you. However, Yuna actually scrubbing the ice with a nylon brush would have been less of a fight with the ice than Sotnikova at her finest in skates, which was, of course, there.

canbelto

Another unpopular opinion is that P&C's Moonlight Sonata was the worst FD they ever had. Like it's the only FD of theirs that I actively disliked. I know people didn't like V&M's Moulin Rouge but at least that was exciting and engaging.

VGThuy

Another unpopular opinion is that P&C's Moonlight Sonata was the worst FD they ever had. Like it's the only FD of theirs that I actively disliked. I know people didn't like V&M's Moulin Rouge but at least that was exciting and engaging.
I totally agree. I also thought their Mozart was incredibly overrated but I was grateful they won Worlds with it over the competition. Those two are at the bottom of my list of their FDs. I loved their every other FD they’ve done.

caseyedwards

Ilia Kulik wasn't the greatest skater. He never won Worlds and turned professional right after becoming Olympic Champion. I feel he's more known for being the husband (now ex-husband) of Ekaterina Gordeeva than an Olympic Gold medalist in his own right. After he and Ms. Gordeeva divorced, he was harassing Gracie Gold according to her new memoir. I always heard he was no good for Katia, but I thought he was a decent man, and the marriage just didn't work out. I've lost all respect for Kulik after reading he was banned from showing up at Gracie's rink during practice after sending her inappropriate texts and making comments about her body. Apparently, he was trying to show off that he could still jump, yet Gracie wasn't very impressed. They used to say he had a big ego, liked attention, and didn't treat Katia very good. Well, just that short excerpt about him in Gracie's book just confirmed to me that those rumors were true all along. This guy is past his prime and shouldn't be harassing other female skaters.
And his acting career never took off! See Center Stage!

canbelto

I totally agree. I also thought their Mozart was incredibly overrated but I was grateful they won Worlds with it over the competition. Those two are at the bottom of my list of their FDs. I loved their every other FD they’ve done.

Their Moonlight Sonata was trying way too hard to be an "Olympic" program. I really loved their programs in the years before and after Moonlight Sonata. Happiness Does Not Wait and Duet were amazing.

Former Lurve Goddess

Their Moonlight Sonata was trying way too hard to be an "Olympic" program. I really loved their programs in the years before and after Moonlight Sonata. Happiness Does Not Wait and Duet were amazing.
I loved almost all of PC's programs but I completely agree about Moonlight Sonata. I also thought their Olympic performance was a bit subdued. They skated it a thousand times better a month later at World's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information