Unpopular Opinions

On My Own

In order to record my opinion here for the fanbase that might want to bring it up 20 years in the future: I do not believe Shimada Mao is a favorite to win the 2026 OGM as of now for people to be disappointed she won't get to participate. She might become that by the time 2025-26 season rolls by, and then maybe I will be disappointed along with them. But as of now, two barely rotated big jump elements are really not enough to be considered that, in my opinion.

SkateFanBerlin

Well, that word should only mean what it is, and I prefer "sweet" iced tea since I'm from the south. Honey Hush! Let's just say the word "gossip" because that's exactly what it is, and we shouldn't believe everything we hear or read unless we know 100% that it's fact especially on the world wide web. I do declare. Sometimes tea is simply tea. By the way it's pretty warm here today where I live. It's 76F and I'm drinking "sweet" iced tea at this very moment. :summer:
Honey Hush is a keeper.

SkateFanBerlin

My ULTIMATE unpopular opinion is that Yuna looked like she'd rather be scrubbing bathrooms during that free skate, and I've never been able to get worked up over the fact that she didn't win. 🔥🔥🔥
Technically she was way off her 2013 Worlds. Someone said up chat she had been injured in Nov.

SkateFanBerlin

I just don`t get Kagiyama. A reliable jumper. Everything correct. Good skating skills (though, I`m not really versed). What is a real downer for me is his artistic side. Little expression. All his programs kind of look the same and generic. People saying he`s the best that ever lived? Better than Hanyu (I`m no fanyu)? I just don`t see it.

PLz, no haters. I`m allowed to say this here.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I just don`t get Kagiyama. A reliable jumper. Everything correct. Good skating skills (though, I`m not really versed). What is a real downer for me is his artistic side. Little expression. All his programs kind of look the same and generic. People saying he`s the best that ever lived? Better than Hanyu (I`m no fanyu)? I just don`t see it.

I don't understand the better than Hanyu movement either. One is a two time olympic gold medalist and world champion. The other is not. Not sure why they are even being compared in the first place. Kagiyama has very good everything right now but he has room to grow for sure.

vodkashot

I was absolutely thrilled when Stellato/Deschamps won Worlds this year, but it's entirely because of Deanna's (amazing!) narrative rather than Stellato/Deschamp's actual skating, which I find notably lacking in flow, effortlessness and artistry. Everything looks like hard work with them.

chantilly

I love the board grabs that the ice dancers are doing right in the judges faces.
As well as Hendrixx.
The skaters are playing to them and I’m here for it.
To me Piper and Paul were the most successful because they made it a part of the story.
But I don’t understand the resistance to it if I’m being honest.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I don't want to see backflip in competitive programs. How does that push the sport ? And it adds nothing artistically. There should be a greater point penalty for a move that is deemed illegal in the ISU rule book.

I said that as well in the play-by-play thread. It’s almost like he wasn’t taking it serious at that point.

I was also saying what if he loses a bronze by one point because of that.

When Surya did it she had all the reason to do it at the Olympics because she knew the judges weren’t gonna award her no matter how well she skated, and she also did the backflip split legged and landing on 1 foot. Viva la divaaaaaaaa.

Icetalavista

I don't want to see backflip in competitive programs. How does that push the sport ? And it adds nothing artistically. There should be a greater point penalty for a move that is deemed illegal in the ISU rule book.
In addition, it is dangerous to practice on a rink shard with other skaters. It’s a blind move and other skaters have to do the distracting work of watching when and where the backflipper throws their blades in the air.

Former Lurve Goddess

In addition, it is dangerous to practice on a rink shard with other skaters. It’s a blind move and other skaters have to do the distracting work of watching when and where the backflipper throws their blades in the air.
It also does not use any edges/skating skills. Backflips are super fun to watch but they really need to stay as an exhibition only things, even if I super enjoyed seeing Adam's backflip live.

quartz

scratching at the light
It also does not use any edges/skating skills. Backflips are super fun to watch but they really need to stay as an exhibition only things, even if I super enjoyed seeing Adam's backflip live.
But you have to have enough skating skills to generate speed to complete the flipping up into the air, and then the stability and strength to not land on your face. I mean, I’d rather see a backflip than Chock’s constant constipated O face which doesn’t require any skating skills that I’m aware of. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Former Lurve Goddess

But you have to have enough skating skills to generate speed to complete the flipping up into the air, and then the stability and strength to not land on your face. I mean, I’d rather see a backflip than Chock’s constant constipated O face which doesn’t require any skating skills that I’m aware of. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Also true:) but I think the danger factor for the other skaters on the same practice session should be the main deciding factor.

DreamSkates

I don't understand the better than Hanyu movement either. One is a two time olympic gold medalist and world champion. The other is not. Not sure why they are even being compared in the first place. Kagiyama has very good everything right now but he has room to grow for sure.
Maybe they’re just trying to fill the Hanyu-gone-void. Like after you breakup with someone you attach to someone else to fill the void. Then you realize they don’t meet the dream and you’re able to break up and move on.

peibeck

Simply looking

He seems pretty shy, so I agree he could express outwards toward the crowd more. Although I didn't care for the music, his Michael Buble program showed a more performative side.
His actual talent with his blade work is amazing though (to me). Best since Patrick Chan, imo. I'll be interested in seeing Kagiyama live in Boston next year. Some of these kids you have a better appreciation for seeing them in person.

Hanyu was such a contradiction to me. At times, great edges. But at other times such lazy stretch, especially with his free leg or foot hanging like a dead tree branch. :slinkaway

orbitz

I was absolutely thrilled when Stellato/Deschamps won Worlds this year, but it's entirely because of Deanna's (amazing!) narrative rather than Stellato/Deschamp's actual skating, which I find notably lacking in flow, effortlessness and artistry. Everything looks like hard work with them.

Agree. I do like the vampire music, and they have some neat choreographic moments throughout the program: the entrance into the pair spin, Deanna's flying arms movement on one of the lifts and her facial expression during the lifts, but I do agree on the criticism for their lack of speed, flow and effortlessness. I'm not sure they'll achieve this world level of success again, but they are forever World champion in the record book, and they should be proud of that.

nylynnr

Agree. I do like the vampire music, and they have some neat choreographic moments throughout the program: the entrance into the pair spin, Deanna's flying arms movement on one of the lifts and her facial expression during the lifts, but I do agree on the criticism for their lack of speed, flow and effortlessness. I'm not sure they'll achieve this world level of success again, but they are forever World champion in the record book, and they should be proud of that.
Like Wagner, Candeloro and many others before them, they are very much program-driven skaters.

On My Own

He's nowhere close to Hanyu. The reason Hanyu is a legend and considered an artist by many is the emotional pull he had for masses of people. Kagiyama has yet to achieve it, and I doubt he will. His facial expressions during the step sequences are comical.

He was also VASTLY overscored on PCS for that junior short program he did at the Olympics. I don't care if figure skating "cogno"scenti is considering him the best thing since sliced bread currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information