2023 Skate Ontario July Sectional Series/NextGen Competitions July 20 - 23 Ottawa, ON

Amy L

I can tell already, this season is going to be even more of an '80s experience than my childhood was. (In my childhood I mostly just ignored the music.) :lol:
My parents didn't really have their own taste in music so they usually just had the Top 40 radio on in the car. I can recognize just about any of the popular 80s songs even if I might not be able to ID the band or title.

Korneva had the almost acceptable bodysuit. Although instead of pink and purple swirls on top of a black bodysuit, I think the 80s version would have swirls of colors on top of other swirls of colors on top of even more swirls of colors.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Korneva had the almost acceptable bodysuit. Although instead of pink and purple swirls on top of a black bodysuit, I think the 80s version would have swirls of colors on top of other swirls of colors on top of even more swirls of colors.
The colors matched what my Barbie dolls used to wear in the '80s, though, so points for that. And :rofl: at her singing along to "Everybody Have Fun Tonight."

Oops, Nolen Hickey just sat down on his twizzles!

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I've been able to keep a partial eye on this event since I figured out how to stream the dailymotion site from my phone to the TV. I even got to unmute during a couple of the skates since I was doing some lengthy after call work - yay!

I agree with @Amy L about Korneva's bodysuit in all regards.

Wyliefan

Okay, Gover/Wilson French, I do not remember any stripes trend in the '80s. These look more like deconstructed Guys and Dolls costumes.

Oof, messy twizzles. And she has no extension at all.

Karen-W

Okay, Gover/Wilson French, I do not remember any stripes trend in the '80s. These look more like deconstructed Guys and Dolls costumes.

Oof, messy twizzles. And she has no extension at all.
The only stripe trends were in home decor, lol.

Wyliefan

Decent speed and energy from Tibau/Dawson. Twizzles were a little slow and awkward, but far from the worst we've seen today.

Amy L

You'd think lacy mini-skirts would be the easiest, go-to fashion design of the season, but noooooooo...
The last girl had big pink earrings and teased her ponytail, so that was an effort at least. Accessories are probably the easiest/cheapest way to 80s yourself up. Gloves and jelly bracelets and hair crimpers, oh my!

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
The last girl had big pink earringa and teased her ponytail, so that was an effort at least. Accessories are probably the easiest/cheapest way to 80s yourself up. Gloves and jelly bracelets and hair crimpers, oh my!
Heck, just google Roz Sumners, Jill Trenary or Debi Thomas and at least get the hair right.

Karen-W

The last girl had big pink earrings and teased her ponytail, so that was an effort at least. Accessories are probably the easiest/cheapest way to 80s yourself up. Gloves and jelly bracelets and hair crimpers, oh my!
All I'm sayin' is if Madison Chock can CRIMP her hair for a non-80s-themed FD this past season, the least these kids can do is put maximal effort into their hair looking like Roz, Debi, Tiffany, Katarina, Caryn, Liz and every other fabulous '80s ladies skater!

Amy L

All I'm sayin' is if Madison Chock can CRIMP her hair for a non-80s-themed FD this past season, the least these kids can do is put maximal effort into their hair looking like Roz, Debi, Tiffany, Katarina, Caryn, Liz and every other fabulous '80s ladies skater!

I just did a quick Google search and Oriental Trading Company sells a bulk pack 144 jelly bracelets for $6.79. Just sayin

Wyliefan

Chopping their hair off would probably be a bridge too far for most of these girls. :D At least a few of them are going for the high ponytail.

Karen-W

I just did a quick Google search and Oriental Trading Company sells a bulk pack 144 jelly bracelets for $6.79. Just sayin
I think we should each volunteer to buy a bulk pack (maybe 2 for IAM) and have them shipped to all the major ice dance training centers WORLDWIDE. We can ship to Carol Lane, MIDA, Igor, Marina, YGA, Babs, Maurizio, Karine Arribert, the new Hurtado/Khaliavin school, WISA, WASA, Cathy Reed, Obertsdorf. Who is with me on this plan?

Karen-W

Ice resurfacing ahead of the Senior RD. Here to judge when I can, the '80s looks these teams give us this afternoon.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
They are a few minutes behind. Live scoring shows Molly Lanaghan / Dmitre Razgulajevs as withdrawn.

Wyliefan

Haha, a few of the ice dancers jumped the gun, and the announcer had to order them off the ice.

Amy L

Most of the group is in all black, blah. Although it does look like some of them are wearing nice warmups so I guess not everyone has their costumes ready.

I haven't been paying a ton of attention, but every time I glance over at my laptop screen, these junior women have really pretty tiffed dresses. :glamor: South Korea's influence?

Karen-W

Please tell me that Hensen/Lickers are just wearing basic black because their costumes aren't ready...

Amy L

Please tell me that Hensen/Lickers are just wearing basic black because their costumes aren't ready...
This is my hope. Lily looks really into this program, I bet she could pull of poofy lacey multicolored layered skirts.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
How many songs are they using? Opened with a few seconds from "whip it" then a section of "safety dance" now "total eclipse of the heart." Now a song I recognize but don't know the name of lol. ETA now another song "Take me on".

Wyliefan

Robinson/Portz with the first Flashdance of the season (in all black). 60.08.

Karen-W

Whee! Break time just in time to see the last 2 teams! I don't understand anything about this music from Bronsard/Richmond, nor do I understand her dress. And he looks like he recycled last year's RD costume.

Wyliefan

Richmond was trying to keep the all-black trend going, but Bronsard defied him by going multicolored. They were doing well until she fell on her knee near the end. Scores are taking forever. ETA: No score due to technical difficulties!

Karen-W

Malcolm/Chant - Under Pressure and their costumes look very "Queen"-esque, so I approve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information