2023 Skate Ontario July Sectional Series/NextGen Competitions July 20 - 23 Ottawa, ON

Sylvia

TBD
When I was watching Hannah Lim's vlog a few weeks ago, I heard a snippet of Muse's [now skating warhorse] Exogenesis: Symphony, Part 3 (Redemption) playing on Lim/Quan's session... turns out it's Bronsard/Richmond's FD music.

Sylvia

TBD
Senior FD results:

1 Lily Hensen / Nathan Lickers Ilderton SC & Ilderton SC ON 60.82 42.18 -1 102
2 Emmy Bronsard / Jacob Richmond Club de patinage artistique Gadbois & Club de patinage artistique de St-Lambert QC 58.29 42.5 100.79
3 Alyssa Robinson / Jacob Portz Calalta FSC & Calalta FSC AB/NT/NU 55.56 39 -1 93.56
4 Romy Malcolm / Kobi Chant Champs International Skating Centre of British Columbia & Calalta FSC AB/NT/NU 45.78 33.84 79.62
WD Molly Lanaghan / Dmitre Razgulajevs Scarboro FSC & Scarboro FSC ON

FD protocols (ETA link): https://skatecanada.ca/results/735f7b49-34e3-4a57-a5d3-8da43b8af2c6.pdf

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
NextGen Starting Orders/Results page: https://lamp.skatecanada.ca/alex/cssWebWidget.html?event=94352bbb-d660-4548-989f-0baa95e7223e

SUNDAY JULY 23, 2023 event order in the Manley rink (Skate Canada Dailymotion channel's livestream): https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8mhb44

JUNIOR WOMEN FREE PROGRAM (Sunday 9:30 – 11:27 Eastern time)
1 Breken Brezden [J7] Skate Dauphin MB
2 Kara Yun [J4] Champs International Skating Centre of British Columbia BC/YK
3 Aleksa Volkova [J3] Club de patinage artistique de Boucherville inc. QC
4 Abbie Baltzer [J9] Hamilton SC ON
5 Angelina Grant [Challenge J26] Royal Glenora Club AB/NT/NU

6 Lucille Yang [N1] Gloucester Skating Club ON
7 Angelina Guan [J13] Connaught SC BC/YK
8 Reese Rose [J6] Gloucester Skating Club ON
9 Megan Woodley [J5] Canadian Ice Academy ON
10 Fée-Ann Landry [J14] Patinage Gatineau QC

11 Mély-Ann Gagner [N3] Club de patinage artistique de Sherbrooke QC
12 Uliana Shiryaeva [moved from RUS last year] Champs International Skating Centre of British Columbia BC/YK
13 Lulu Lin [J8] Canadian Ice Academy ON
14 Hetty Shi [J1] Canadian Ice Academy ON
15 Rose Théroux [J2] Académie Performance Isatis QC

JUNIOR PAIR FREE PROGRAM (12:00 – 12:55 ET)
1 Annika Behnke / Kole Sauve [N3] Sherwood Park FSC & Sherwood Park FSC AB/NT/NU
2 Lily Wilberforce / Joshua Dore [new] Kitchener - Waterloo SC & Gloucester Skating Club ON
3 Ashlyn Schmitz / Tristan Taylor [J4; 21 in March - new ISU age rule exception applies] Shellbrook SC & Skate Regina SK

4 Jazmine Desrochers [J5] / Kieran Thrasher [new; he was J1] Skate Oakville & Skate Oakville ON
5 Ava Kemp / Yohnatan Elizarov [J2] Skate Winnipeg & Skate Winnipeg MB
6 Martina Ariano Kent [J3] / Charly Laliberté-Laurent [new; he was PN1] C.P.A. de Ville Mont-Royal & C.P.A. de Boucherville inc. QC

JUNIOR ICE DANCE FREE DANCE (13:20 – 14:34 ET)
1 Charlotte Chung / Axel MacKenzie [N1] Scarboro FSC & North Toronto SC ON
2 Auréa Cincon-Debout / Earl Jesse Celestino [N3] C.P.A. de Ville Mont-Royal & C.P.A. de Saint-Laurent QC
3 Victoria Carandiuc / Andrei Carandiuc [N2] Patinage Roussillon & Patinage Roussillon QC
4 Jamie Fournier / Everest Zhu [new] C.P.A. de Boucherville inc. & Club de patinag des Deux-Rives QC

5 Layla Veillon / Alexander Frank Brandys [J5] Ilderton SC & Ilderton SC ON
6 Emma Goodstadt / Christian Bennett [new] Scarboro FSC & Scarboro FSC ON
7 Savanna Martel / William Oddson [new] Calalta FSC & Huntington Hills SC AB/NT/NU
8 Dana Sabatini-Speciale / Nicholas Buelow [J6] Toronto CS & CC & Barrie SC ON
9 Chloe Nguyen / Brendan Giang [new; he was J3] Ice Palace FSC & Champs International SC of British Columbia BC/YK

JUNIOR MEN FREE PROGRAM (15:05 – 16:35)
1 Vladimir Furman [N2] Club de patinage artistique de Saint-Hubert Inc. QC
2 David Bondar [J13] Granite Club ON
3 Shohei Law [J8] Champs International Skating Centre of British Columbia BC/YK
4 David Shteyngart [J6] Gloucester Skating Club ON
5 William Chan [N4] Connaught SC BC/YK
6 Terry Jin [J7] Toronto CS & CC ON

7 David Li [J5] Connaught SC BC/YK
8 Anthony Paradis [J3] Patinage des Mille-Îles QC
9 Alec Guinzbourg [S13] Granite Club ON
10 David Howes [N1] Skate Winnipeg MB
11 Grayson Long [J2] Toronto CS & CC ON
12 Rio Morita [J4] Toronto CS & CC ON

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
After watching NextGen Women and Pairs at home, I was in the arena for NextGen dance and men and then for the Skate Ontario Jr and Sr Free dance.
Ted Barton was the camera person for the NextGen events using a completely separate camera set-up from that for the Skate Ontario events and a slightly different location.
After the Jr Free Dance I noticed two couples wearing outfits for "other nations" when they came into the audience to watch the rest of the evening's skates - I believe that Tibau & Dawson were wearing Team Brazil while Roberts & Alis were wearing Team Spain.

The woman who did the announcing for all the dance events was terrible for those of us in the arena - it was almost impossible to hear anything she was saying, especially the scores (correct or not) :(

I'll be going back tomorrow but am not sure yet if I'll go for all 4 of the events - those benches are really uncomfortable. At least today I managed to have a bench against the wall (sort of) and used my cushion alternatively under me or behind my back :D

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
After the Jr Free Dance I noticed two couples wearing outfits for "other nations" when they came into the audience to watch the rest of the evening's skates - I believe that Tibau & Dawson were wearing Team Brazil while Roberts & Alis were wearing Team Spain.
That would make sense since those are the countries they represented last season - no reason for them to switch.

Sylvia

TBD
After watching NextGen Women and Pairs at home, I was in the arena for NextGen dance and men and then for the Skate Ontario Jr and Sr Free dance.
Ted Barton was the camera person for the NextGen events using a completely separate camera set-up from that for the Skate Ontario events and a slightly different location.
Glad to hear you got to watch in person yesterday! Thanks for the tidbit on Ted being the camera person for the NextGen comp.

Breken Brezden starts with Pride and Prejudice 2005 film soundtrack music! :)
ETA: 82.93 in FS, 122.92. I like her periwinkle dress. Bryce Davison is with her in the kiss & cry.

Last edited:

shutterbug

Certainly a better performance from Kara today. :) However, I still feel she's lacking in speed and flow compared to some of the skaters in the final group.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Kara Yun there were some parts where I could see she is JGP material but still not quite ready at this point in the season? Near the end she started emoting and it made such a difference but she seemed to skate tentatively.

4rkidz

Music snark: Do we really need a female cover of Styles' "Sign of the Times"? :D
Certainly didn’t help Alexa :(

I think she has so much potential, needs a shot of confidence. Another young woman likely getting used to a more mature body. Some lovely parts to her skating.

shutterbug

Certainly didn’t help Alexa :(

I think she has so much potential, needs a shot of confidence. Another young woman likely getting used to a more mature body. Some lovely parts to her skating.
So tough to watch the kids in the Kiss & Cry when they're holding back tears. :(

shutterbug

Abbie is such a pretty, tidy skater, just on the cusp of getting full rotation on her jumps. Hopefully persevering through to the other side of the maturation process will help.

Sylvia

TBD
Our first classical piece of the day :) - Khachaturian's Spartacus ("Adagio of Spartacus and Phrygia") skated by Abbie Baltzer.
I'm looking forward to seeing this program develop through the season.

ETA: Abbie is coached by Jen Jackson & Bryce Davison (as is Breken).

4rkidz

I like Abbie’s new program it really suits her, few too many technical issues with shoulders and hips not square on a few jumps similar to Alexa, I would love to see this program clean. So far everyone is a “work in progress” not ready for any JGP’s. But they are still young and developing.

4rkidz

A lot of these juniors are struggling. Will be interesting to compare the numbers with the regular juniors who are not on the next gen team.

Sylvia

TBD
Angelina Grant - West Side Story (orchestral selections)
Lucille Yang - Piazzolla Tango medley
Angelina Guan - "Un bel di vedremo" (orchestral) from Puccini's Madame Butterfly (ETA) - she goes into 1st with 86.75 in FS, 134.13 total.

shutterbug

Yikes, the wheels have fallen off of this competition. :yikes: Awfully early in the season to expect the skaters to be at their best, especially for the potential new additions to the NextGen team.

4rkidz

Reese Rose also having technical issues and same program as last year. Still waiting for a clean skate. But at least good technical content.

4rkidz

Maybe time to start talking about dresses then lol. So far my two favourite dresses are Abbie’s and Megan’s.
Again some good technical content with Megan but none of these young women so far ready for a JGP.

shutterbug

Much to like about Megan's skating, particularly the nice attack and height on her jumps. Needs to work on the small details - posture, stretch, toe point, yadda, yadda.

shutterbug

Maybe time to start talking about dresses then lol. So far my two favourite dresses are Abbie’s and Megan’s.
Again some good technical content with Megan but none of these young women so far ready for a JGP.
Minor snark about Reese's costume - tights no where near matching her skin tone. It was almost distracting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information