Royalty Thread #16: the best of times, the worst of times

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
eta... might just be one of those things you need to see in person to appreciate 🤷‍♀️

I like his other stuff from this link. I really think it’s the color red. It just seems evil to me. It probably isn’t so bad in person. But comments are equating it with blood. Just a color I would have avoided for a myriad of reasons.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
There's also Anne (long the most active royal) and Camilla seems to be doing a lot too. As for William being stretched, well he needs to get used to that :)
I can't believe I forgot Anne & Camilla. Since Camilla needed a solo vacation after supporting her husband when we first knew about his cancer she may burn out quickly. I'm reaching that burnout point myself so I understand. And Kate's situation is probably stressing her too.

I saw the red painting today. The article said the king looks like he's in hell. I think it's dreadful.

canbelto

I THINK Charles wanted to do something different. Royal portraits usually look very staid and stately. In fact, I believe Elizabeth was the first one to commission royal portraits with a toothy smile. That used to be considered improper.

Oh well. If Charles has had a rough go of it lately so if it makes him happy ...

Parsley Sage

I don't know how much say Charles would have had in the portrait. It was first commissioned in 2020 and then was updated somewhat in 2022 when he became King. The portrait isn't for him, it's for the Company of Drapers and was commissioned to mark 50 years of Charles being a Freeman of the Company.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I don't know how much say Charles would have had in the portrait. It was first commissioned in 2020 and then was updated somewhat in 2022 when he became King. The portrait isn't for him, it's for the Company of Drapers and was commissioned to mark 50 years of Charles being a Freeman of the Company.
Yeah, I read that in the article and I was wondering why they called it an official portrait. It's not going to hang in Buckingham Palace or wherever their official portraits are hung.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Yeah, I read that in the article and I was wondering why they called it an official portrait. It's not going to hang in Buckingham Palace or wherever their official portraits are hung.
In 2022 he was either heir apparent or if it was painted after September he was actually king. You would think in either case he would some say about an unflattering portrait. Guess not.

Winnipeg

I think it is horrible beyond belief. It is different for sure but being different does not always end up in good taste.

puglover

I don't care for the pink/red at all but I do think it is a great painting of his face. I kind of like the idea of a fade out background of all the royal trapings and the focus being on the face of the man who is our king. Apparently, Queen Camilla has said it is a wonderful likeness of Charles.

On My Own

ballettmaus

A few pictures from Queen Mary's and King Frederik's state visit in Norway. I like Mary's dress better than the one she wore in Sweden (although, the fabric looks like it wrinkles easily). Not a fan of Mette-Marit's dress. The skirt's cut is strange, even though it might be because she's walking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information