2022–23 Canadian Ice Dance: News and Updates

puglover

Carol Lane has been criticized for awhile for her skaters peaking too early in the season. We saw it with Piper and Paul, and her junior team. There are of course extraneous circumstances but there does appear to be a pattern.
You may be right but this does not seem a great year to tell. As I recall, at the JGPF the Czecs fell twice - at least in the rhythm dance and maybe even something in the free dance and still were on the podium. I love B&B but I always felt they were in tough with the Czecs and the Koreans for the world title. It also seems like this operation for Piper was not a simple appendectomy and maybe their good preparation made their participation at worlds possible.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I think it was @victorskid who mentioned (perhaps in another thread) some bits about Piper during the CBC Sports broadcast. Anyway I listened to it last night. So:
1. the appendectomy was the least of it.
2. personal problems between Skate Canada and Finland GP's
3. a strong plea to female skaters to take care of their bodies and if something is wrong to get help.
I think that's about it. It was enough to convey there was a lot more going on that just the appendectomy. Also she said basically that Pier and Paul were just happy they actually made it to worlds.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I think it was @victorskid who mentioned (perhaps in another thread) some bits about Piper during the CBC Sports broadcast. Anyway I listened to it last night. So:
1. the appendectomy was the least of it.
2. personal problems between Skate Canada and Finland GP's
3. a strong plea to female skaters to take care of their bodies and if something is wrong to get help.
I think that's about it. It was enough to convey there was a lot more going on that just the appendectomy. Also she said basically that Pier and Paul were just happy they actually made it to worlds.
Who said it was personal problems? Their physical ailments is what derailed them? Ignoring physical ailments can impact anyone but athletes are more likely to ignore issues as there is always something niggling at them.

Anyway their health lives should be private.

honey

Who said it was personal problems? Their physical ailments is what derailed them? Ignoring physical ailments can impact anyone but athletes are more likely to ignore issues as there is always something niggling at them.

Piper herself specifically personal things between Skate Canada and the GP Finland.

This is the interview that was aired during the broadcast (quote at around 49 seconds).

https://youtu.be/AG1TYyjCDwE

It was Carol during the broadcast who gave the remaining comments about female athletes looking after themselves that @Alilou and I summarized in our posts. Definitely there was more that happened than an appendectomy, but nothing too specific was said relating to what.

Last edited:

4rkidz

Piper herself specifically personal problems between Skate Canada and the GP Finland.
I listened to that interview? I must have missed it. I know they had to take extra time off in the summer and early fall due needing a mental rest but not later in the season (except for the health issues).

4rkidz

Piper herself specifically personal things between Skate Canada and the GP Finland.

This is the interview that was aired during the broadcast (quote at around 49 seconds).

https://youtu.be/AG1TYyjCDwE

It was Carol during the broadcast who gave the remaining comments about female athletes looking after themselves that @Alilou and I summarized in our posts. Definitely there was more that happened than an appendectomy, but nothing too specific was said relating to what.
Oh the reference to personal things happening to them .. ok I read that being quite different to having personal problems.

Colonel Green

Carol Lane has been criticized for awhile for her skaters peaking too early in the season.
I saw this idea floated in the dance thread earlier, and apart from my not recalling seeing that criticism before, I don't see how that fits the facts at all.

If anything, Piper & Paul have been more likely to be better in the second half of the season than the first. The first half of the season has more minor events where it's easier to medal, but in terms of scores, etc. the highlights of their season more often occur later.

sap5

My fingers and toes are crossed for Laurence and Nik. I've been onboard since the day they started skating for Denmark and it would be the cherry on top of their career as one of the original IAM teams to podium next year in Montreal. Regardless of whether Gilles/Poirier stay or not. I will NEVER understand why it's okay to have two US teams or two Russian teams either both on the podium or one close by in 4th place in case the one ahead falters but not two CAN teams, because FB/S were so worthy of that being a much tighter race after the RD and in podium position.
Was is it was easier for USFS to have 2 American teams because they shared the same coach?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I don’t think anyone implied the personal issues were between them. If I inadvertently did so, it wasn’t my intent. Her words to me were clear that something personal happened to her.
I didn't hear it this way at all. I heard her saying there was personal stuff between the two comps so they didn't overly focus on the skating until they got on the ice and just skated and that being a good thing. Its a few words here and I don't hear anything suggesting this was something more significant than the appendectomy in their season.

Alilou

Ubercavorter

These are all things Carol Lane said during the CBC broadcast. Her first comment (I think it was the first) at some point was that the appendectomy was the least of it. Then a bit later she said Piper had personal problems between SC and Espoo, and then a bit later said the bit about female skaters (and male too, but obviously her emphasis was on the female skaters) having to take care of themselves. It all came from Carol Lane.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Carol Lane has been criticized for awhile for her skaters peaking too early in the season. We saw it with Piper and Paul, and her junior team. There are of course extraneous circumstances but there does appear to be a pattern.
And missing levels. It's probably not a good thing that if I saw a Level 2 from a team that was touted to be a favorite for winning a World Championship, outside of a major stumble, it didn't seem odd.

barbarafan

I would take anything Carole Lane says with a grain of salt. It is all about the win. Also women are disposable to her.

skategal

Bunny mama
Well Piper and Paul sure are acting thrilled to have gotten a medal and Piper has posted on instagram about how hard it was this season after her surgery and how happy she is with the outcome and thanking “her village” (her words) for the support.

Piper also said she was allowed back on the ice two weeks after surgery for 5 minute sessions and that they didn’t regain their prior form until about a week before Worlds.

Piper’s husband posted a story in instagram saying how proud he is of Piper considering she couldn’t even walk after her surgery.

I’m willing to take their words that this was an extremely difficult few months and they are thrilled to finish among the best this season.

barbarafan

That’s a pretty bold statement, or rather accusation.
Care to elaborate with, I don’t know proof or corroborating evidence?
nope... various stories. there were very few places to read about figure skating...Too many yrs have passed for me to say what came from where so I only remember the main parts of what she said and did.

barbarafan

Other than the Paul/Vanessa situation, Carol has generally seemed much closer to her female dancers.
That was the first really derogatory situation I read about about Carol & was very bad even though years ago. The rest is stippets here and there...I usually skip her students. B&B i confess I am very attached to their skating in the last year.

Mugs

Well Piper and Paul sure are acting thrilled to have gotten a medal and Piper has posted on instagram about how hard it was this season after her surgery and how happy she is with the outcome and thanking “her village” (her words) for the support.

Piper also said she was allowed back on the ice two weeks after surgery for 5 minute sessions and that they didn’t regain their prior form until about a week before Worlds.

Piper’s husband posted a story in instagram saying how proud he is of Piper considering she couldn’t even walk after her surgery.

I’m willing to take their words that this was an extremely difficult few months and they are thrilled to finish among the best this season.
Does anyone know what type of appendectomy surgery was performed on Piper? If she had a laparoscopic appendectomy she should have recovered relatively quickly, considering her age and physical fitness level. Having an open appendectomy is much more traumatic and painful. The way some of the posts I've read characterize her post-surgical course, it sounds like she had an open appendectomy. Or she had a much more significant surgical procedure and appendectomy is being used as a "cover". I'm not suggesting that Piper should have back on the ice in a week doing strenuous lifts but something just seems off. G&P are not my favorite ice dance team but it was nice to see them back to competition at Worlds. The Evita program was lovely and I'm glad they made the podium.

skategal

Bunny mama
Does anyone know what type of appendectomy surgery was performed on Piper? If she had a laparoscopic appendectomy she should have recovered relatively quickly, considering her age and physical fitness level. Having an open appendectomy is much more traumatic and painful. The way some of the posts I've read characterize her post-surgical course, it sounds like she had an open appendectomy. Or she had a much more significant surgical procedure and appendectomy is being used as a "cover". I'm not suggesting that Piper should have back on the ice in a week doing strenuous lifts but something just seems off. G&P are not my favorite ice dance team but it was nice to see them back to competition at Worlds. The Evita program was lovely and I'm glad they made the podium.
My SIL is a competitive triathlete (long course) and had laparoscopic surgery on her abdomen on Feb 3 and she’s not allowed to bike or run yet. She is allowed to swim.

It can take quite awhile to get back into form.

Pink Cats

My SIL is a competitive triathlete (long course) and had laparoscopic surgery on her abdomen on Feb 3 and she’s not allowed to bike or run yet. She is allowed to swim.

It can take quite awhile to get back into form.

There is a mandatory 6-week period after any abdominal surgery where you are not allowed to lift over 5-10 lbs. The concern is you don't want to get a hernia.

4rkidz

These are all things Carol Lane said during the CBC broadcast. Her first comment (I think it was the first) at some point was that the appendectomy was the least of it. Then a bit later she said Piper had personal problems between SC and Espoo, and then a bit later said the bit about female skaters (and male too, but obviously her emphasis was on the female skaters) having to take care of themselves. It all came from Carol Lane.
She didn't say that had personal problems but they had to deal with a lot of personal issues. I think that is quite different?

4rkidz

I would take anything Carole Lane says with a grain of salt. It is all about the win. Also women are disposable to her.
Certainly not what I personally hear coming from that rink. These days she has a great reputation with the skaters and other coaches? I assume you are referring to the historical issues with a certain female skating partner?

Alilou

Ubercavorter
She didn't say that had personal problems but they had to deal with a lot of personal issues. I think that is quite different?
Ah, ok. I agree it's different. And I should have listened more closely. Still, I do think whatever she had to deal with was part of the whole package of difficulties. Especially with Carol saying that the appendectomy was the least of it.

Dobre

F-B&S kept their Viking program for a second season so I don't think it's accurate to say that they changed it because of initial comments about cultural appropriation. They obviously liked the program well enough to keep it for a second season, but then the scores didn't improve & they were losing ground to Smart & Diaz & sometimes when that happens teams overreact or listen to poor advice (which I tend to think was likely people saying that they didn't "get" the program, which I also think F-B&S should have ignored because when you do something original not everyone is gonna get into it). Then they skated it for the first time with the Gladiator music at Nationals, which is not the best place to receive anything but loving homefield fan feedback & judges trying to set their teams up for the Olympic Games. Then came the Olympics & Worlds and the unreal amount of pressure & mistakes that can come with the Olympics or trying to earn Worlds berths. And some lessons get learned the hard way.

Last edited:

barbarafan

Certainly not what I personally hear coming from that rink. These days she has a great reputation with the skaters and other coaches? I assume you are referring to the historical issues with a certain female skating partner?
These days???? Well she may have found out that certain behavior is not considered acceptable in Canada and watched her P's and Q's a bit. The other items certainly were more subtle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information