2023-24 Pairs General Discussion - Join the SBS Double Salchow Club!

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Gabbie Izzo and Thierry Ferland confirmed! Looks like they will be training at WASA?

Another transnational partnership! No idea on which country they will be representing. Matte/Ferland's last international was US Classic last September, so he will be able to compete for the US in mid-September, whereas, Gabbie's last international was MKJW, so she wouldn't be able to compete for Canada until late November.

happycamper2554

Another transnational partnership! No idea on which country they will be representing. Matte/Ferland's last international was US Classic last September, so he will be able to compete for the US in mid-September, whereas, Gabbie's last international was MKJW, so she wouldn't be able to compete for Canada until late November.

I asked on the WASA post so we'll see if they answer.

kirkbiggestfan

It’s unlikely for Ferland or Efimova to get us citizenship for the next Olympics?
I am glad that Mitrofanov waited for the right partner. He skipped potential American partners with better jumps.

Karen-W

It’s unlikely for Ferland or Efimova to get us citizenship for the next Olympics?
I am glad that Mitrofanov waited for the right partner. He skipped potential American partners with better jumps.
Definitely not happening for Efimova before 2026. Ferland - probably not unless he has one US parent, which I don't think we know. Either way, both teams are young enough that 2030 is a viable goal.

Karen-W

Dmitri Savin seems to be holding a huge pairs camp in Samsun, Turkey right now - I've seen Gamez/Korovin, Danilova/Tsiba, Minerva Hase, Harley Windsor, Karina Safina, and Ioulia Chtchetinina popping up together in various IG stories over the last couple days.

Anyone able to ID some of the pairs in these pics?

Sylvia

TBD
Karina Safina ("Especially for my lovely subscribers 😘") has posted an on ice pic with Harley Windsor from the camp in Turkey: https://www.instagram.com/p/Ct4eY0Eo-KW/

ETA that McIntosh/Mimar and Pavlova (with Sviatchenko in her Insta story clip) also attended the Savin/Klimov camp (tagged in Karina's pics): https://www.instagram.com/p/Ct4f6CdI0k2/
Dmitri Savin seems to be holding a huge pairs camp in Samsun, Turkey right now - I've seen Gamez/Korovin, Danilova/Tsiba, Minerva Hase, Harley Windsor, Karina Safina, and Ioulia Chtchetinina popping up together in various IG stories over the last couple days.
I assume Nikita Volodin was also there?

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Yeah, Karina & Harley have been responding to fans' queries about them in their Instagram stories lately.

Stellato & Deschamps spent Deanna's birthday week in her hometown of Chicago - Deanna's pics at the Oakton Edge Skating Academy's rink with the Knierims & LeDuc: https://www.instagram.com/p/Ct4HkpFLDnN/

Timothy shared a clip skating with Deanna & Max (after their photo): https://www.instagram.com/p/Ct4I2y7LEJ1/

Karen-W

Nikita Rahkmanin (ISU bio from his partnership with Nadezhda Labazina - http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00105626.htm) was at the Savin/Klimov camp also and, interestingly, Karina Safina was standing in front of him in the big group photo, and they were in several other photos together in Sofia Evdokimova's IG stories today, specifically this one -

Also - Karina's jacket is clearly a Russian one, not Georgian... 🤔

Andrea82

Meanwhile, Daniil Parkman was at an USFSA pair camp a couple of weeks (see second pic), standing behind Katie McBeath.

LoisAGOEs

Nikita Rahkmanin (ISU bio from his partnership with Nadezhda Labazina - http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00105626.htm) was at the Savin/Klimov camp also and, interestingly, Karina Safina was standing in front of him in the big group photo, and they were in several other photos together in Sofia Evdokimova's IG stories today, specifically this one -

That’s his partner Karina Akopova with him in Evdokimova’s story, not Karina Safina.

Karen-W

That’s his partner Karina Akopova with him in Evdokimova’s story, not Karina Safina.
Jeez... My bad. I didn't look at her profile and I had just woke up when I was looking at my IG.

tennellicious

Banned Member
I mean at this point it doesn't really matter, the Georgian skating fed has demonstrated they are more than content to be a satellite federation for Russia's D list skaters

Karen-W

Grand Prix assignments are out today! Wheeee!!! There are plenty of alternates available this season

Pairs Entry List

Skate America - Pereira/Michaud, Hocke/Kunkel, Caldara/Maglio, Miura/Kihara, Osipova/Epstein, Plazas/Fernandez, USA TBD, USA TBD
Skate Canada - Golubeva/Giotopoulos Moore, Laurin/Ethier, McIntosh/Mimar, Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps, Roscher/Schuster, Pavlova/Sviatchenko, Beccari/Guarise, Danilova/Tsiba
Grand Prix de France - Pereira/Michaud, Kovalev/Kovalev, Vouillamoz/Giniaux, FRA TBD, Conti/Macii, Valesi/Piazza, Kam/O'Shea, Plazas/Fernandez
Cup of China - Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps, CHN TBD, CHN TBD, CHN TBD, Hocke/Kunkel, Ghilardi/Ambrosini, Chan/Howe, Smirnova/Siianytsia
GP Espoo - McIntosh/Mimar, Peng/Wang, Vaananen/Clerici, Kovalev/Kovalev, Hase/Volodin, Pavlova/Sviatchenko, Conti/Macii, Kam/O'Shea
NHK Trophy - Golubeva/Giotopoulos Moore, Laurin/Ethier, Ghilardi/Ambrosini, Miura/Kihara, JPN TBD, Danilova/Tsiba, Chan/Howe, Smirnova/Siianytsia

Interesting that Japan is holding back a TBD spot for, possibly, one of their new pairs.

Peng/Wang will certainly pick up a 2nd (likely CoC if nothing else opens up). Zhang/Yang probably will get one of the other CHN TBD spots, who knows about the 3rd (I think the Sui/Han comeback reports are highly exaggerated).

Piegad/Strekalin are probably the leading contender for the FRA TBD spot, though it's possible that Faula/Belle have improved since they last competed at Bavarian Open 5 months ago.

USA TBD spots - The Mokhovs and Liu/Nagy are on the ISP already, but Hanns/Neudecker, Digerness/Sadusky, and a bunch of other teams could be in the mix.

GP Alternates List
Pairs 1-10
Peng/Wang (Espoo)
Hase/Volodin (Espoo)
Roscher/Schuster (SCI)
Osipova/Epstein (SkAm)
Beccari/Guarise (SCI)
Caldara/Maglio (SkAm)
Mokhova/Mokhov
Zhang/Yang
Vouillamoz/Giniaux (France)
Valesi/Piazza (France)

Pairs 11-14
Vaipan-Law/Digby
Gamez/Korovin
Piegad/Strekalin
Simioli/Zarbo

Last edited:

Karen-W

Now it's official. Pair skaters were allowed to stay in juniors for another year.

I can’t link on my phone but this is in combination with a proposal that will be at the 2024 congress that will raise the upper age limit on the pairs skaters.
Excellent news for Baram/Tioumentsev and Ackerman/Harms! It is a shame the Japanese team split up, but I'm happy for the other two teams.

It's going to be exciting to see the competition between Baram/Tioumentsev and Metelkina/Berulava, as well as Sierova/Khobta, Williams/Lewer and Flores/Wang!

Sylvia

TBD
Excellent news for Baram/Tioumentsev and Ackerman/Harms! It is a shame the Japanese team split up, but I'm happy for the other two teams.
AnythingGOE has brought my attention to this June 9th post that showed Ruben Blommaert and Tobija Harms in Canada (looks like it might have been a tryout with South Korea's Hyejin Cho at the Canadian Ice Academy?): https://www.instagram.com/p/CtRzb_tLlw5/

I really hope Baram/Tioumentsev will decide to stay together and compete this season (not yet confirmed as of now).

Karen-W

AnythingGOE has brought my attention to this June 9th post that showed Ruben Blommaert and Tobija Harms in Canada (looks like it might have been a tryout with South Korea's Hyejin Cho at the Canadian Ice Academy?): https://www.instagram.com/p/CtRzb_tLlw5/

I really hope Baram/Tioumentsev will decide to stay together and compete this season (not yet confirmed as of now).
Well, it would be a shame if Ackerman/Harms split, though I can understand the motivation to do so, especially on his part. It would be a darn shame for Germany if they lost another promising skater, though, but it could put him on a pretty direct path to the Olympics, maybe even a team medal.

I agree about Baram/Tioumentsev. I hope they stay together, especially since the ISU made this rule mostly to benefit them (well, all three teams, but they were the most prominent).

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
I'm really glad that it's confirmed that the ISU is taking steps to keep/bring more teams into the sport, and I hope they're also thinking about other ways to support the development of young teams, including from countries without much of a pairs tradition. But I'm not thrilled by the proposal to increase the upper age limit for junior pairs men without also increasing the minimum for junior pairs girls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information