2023 Grand Prix Final - Junior Women Short Program

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Mao - is she a gypsy or a pirate? Who can tell, lol. Oooo... tripped and turned out on the landing of her 3z. Well, well, welll... we have ourselves a legitimate competition. I mean, until tomorrow when she TES' it up with the 3a and 4t attempts.

skatingguy

decently
Mao Shimada (15) 🇯🇵
Coach: Mie Hamada, Satsuki Muramoto, Hiroaki Sato
Music: Americano

2A
3F+3T
Layback Spin 4

3Lz - lost her balance - step out
Fly Sit Spin 4
Step Sequence 4

Ch Combo Spin 4

Both of the favourites in the Junior Women's event with similar errors. Should set up for a great free skate competition.

68.27 = 2nd Place

Colonel Green

I can tell why Kaitlyn thought this song would be a nice challenge for Mao 2.0, but she doesn't really project this brand of diva on ice.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Pfffft. Ted hasn't done his research or he would know Mao was way back in like 5th (and a lot more than 1 point off the lead) at Japanese Jr Nats a few weeks ago and came back to win.

skatingguy

decently
FPl.NameNationPointsSPFS
1Jia SHIN
KOR.GIF
KOR
2Mao SHIMADA
JPN.GIF
JPN
3Rena UEZONO
JPN.GIF
JPN
4Ami NAKAI
JPN.GIF
JPN
5Yuseong KIM
KOR.GIF
KOR
6Minsol KWON
KOR.GIF
KOR

Tak

What happened in Japan Junior Nationals SP on November 18th was totally unexpected as follows.
Japan Junior Nationals are being held this weekend.
BS Fuji channel is going to show Women's Free Skate live, in about an hours time.
To recap what happened in the Women SP, the unexpected ranking and the scores of the top six and Ami Nakai are as follows;
1. Ikura Kushida 65.30 (3Lz!q)
2. Ayumi Shibayama 63.68 (3Lz!)
3. Yo Takagi 63.62 (3T+3T -0.08)
4. Mao Shimada 63.34 (3F Step out+Combo) What an unfortunate surprise! (edit: Fuji showed a clip of her SP combination and she did not fall but stepped out of 3F and did 1T after 3 turn)
5. Haruna Murakami 62.30 (3S+3T, no major errors)
6. Rena Uezono 60.95 (3Lz Fall)

14. Ami Nakai 55.06 (3F!<< Fall +Combo) Another unfortunate surprise.
It was not only Mao, but both Ami and Rena had uncharacteristic bad skates in the SP. Both Mao (Gold) and Rena (Bronze) did quite well in the Free Program and were able to bounce back. However, Ami, perhaps due to reported hip injury, did not skate well and failed to qualify for Senior Nationals.
It is rather worrying that Mao had two subpar SPs in a row.

skatingguy

decently
What happened in Japan Junior Nationals SP on November 18th was totally unexpected as follows.

It was not only Mao, but both Ami and Rena had uncharacteristic bad skates in the SP. Both Mao (Gold) and Rena (Bronze) did quite well in the Free Program and were able to bounce back. However, Ami, perhaps due to reported hip injury, did not skate well and failed to qualify for Senior Nationals.
It is rather worrying that Mao had two subpar SPs in a row.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Because of the new age rules Shimada isn't age eligible for senior until the next quadrennial so she's got time to have some bad skates, and bounce back. It's all part of the process.

Reactions: Tak

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Was impressed with Uezono today: strong basics, clean technique, and complete performance.

Hedwig

Antique member
Rena Uezono (13) 🇯🇵
Coach: Mihoko Higuchi
Music: New Moon, F for You

2A
3F+3T
Layback Spin 4
3Lz
Fly Sit Spin 4
Step Sequence 4

Ch Combo Spin 4

Big fan of this program, and this skater. Great quality in all the elements, and a great performance to go with them.

67.87 = 1st Place
that was pretty wonderful! :swoon: My favorite program of the night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information