2023 Grand Prix Final - Rhythm Dance: “Here Come The Brits Again, Scoring In My Heart Like A Tragedy”

skatingguy

decently
Piper Gilles/Paul Poirier 🇨🇦
Coach: Carol Lane, Juris Razgulajevs, Jon Lane
Music: No More I Love You’s, Addicted to Love

Pattern Step Sequence 4
MiStW3+MiStM2
SqTwW
3+SqTwM4 - Piper spun the 2nd twizzle (level 4 after review)
Choreo Rhythm Sequence

Rotational Lift 4

Solid skate - small twizzle error from Piper. (Edited: Piper's twizzles called level 4 after review - cost them some GOE compared to the other two teams but no base value.)

85.17 = 3rd Place

Last edited:

LeafOnTheWind

Once again I find myself in an alternate universe where some people sound like they think G/F are P/C level :lol:
In my no-technik eye I recognize that they have better skating skills than Fear/Gibson but they lack so much in terms of presentation and excitement. G/F just lack something to keep my attention on them and always have. So you have one team with massive presentation and decent skating skills against a team with decent presentation but great skating skills.

I have no problem with personality and presentation being a factor in winning.

Ka3sha

I love this program for Piper and Paul - it has some interesting choreo and is not choreographed simply to be a people’s pleaser.
Just as C/B they lack the skating skills and speed sometimes, but I would put them on the same level scores-wise.
Yet, it won’t happen.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Not that sharp to my eyes despite them having the most prep time. It seemed Paul dragged Piper through a few steps in the midline as well as the pattern.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Piper & Paul. Fun but not perfect. I’m no fan of her hunched back & curved neck during the fast steps.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
So, Gilles & Poitier don't have the lines of Chock & Bates, and don't have the ability to create the same images and shapes, but they have a performance authenticity that is unmatched. Nothing about this RD feels like a struggle, or that I'm just waiting for them to get through an element so I can enjoy the program.

I'd have this 2nd, behind Guignard & Fabbri.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
After both groups, the RD results:

1​
Madison CHOCK / Evan BATESUSA
89.15​
51.06​
38.09​
9.57​
9.61​
9.46​
0.00​
#5​
2​
Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRIITA
85.82​
48.52​
37.30​
9.36​
9.39​
9.29​
0.00​
#4​
3​
Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIERCAN
85.17​
47.84​
37.33​
9.43​
9.39​
9.25​
0.00​
#6​
4​
Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSONGBR
76.24​
40.51​
35.73​
9.11​
9.00​
8.75​
0.00​
#3​
5​
Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SOERENSENCAN
74.82​
39.82​
35.00​
8.86​
8.75​
8.71​
0.00​
#2​
6​
Marjorie LAJOIE / Zachary LAGHACAN
74.74​
40.45​
34.29​
8.64​
8.64​
8.50​
0.00​
#1​

The protocols: http://www.isuresults.com/results/s...------QUAL000100--_JudgesDetailsperSkater.pdf

sk8nlizard

I know very little about ice dance but I thought that C/B looked faster (for them) than their last GP. It’s interesting to watch G/F and then C/B. G/F look like they can skate but they are boring and it almost looks like they are checking things off a list as they do elements. C/B aren’t boring and I’m buying whatever Madi is selling! Also, C/B’s lift was way better than G/F or G/P. The only lift I think comes close is L/L.

peibeck

Simply looking
And now off to work and then our office Christmas party. Will have to catch up with the rest of the skating super late tonight.

Colonel Green

My favourite RDs this season are Lajoie & Lagha and Lopareva & Brissaud, partly because of how coherent they are in terms of perspective.

With Gilles & Poirier’s program, which objectively is just two unrelated songs, I couldn’t really explain why I like it so much more than many of the other programs that similarly are just music the dancers liked.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
My favourite RDs this season are Lajoie & Lagha and Lopareva & Brissaud, partly because of how coherent they are in terms of perspective.

With Gilles & Poirier’s program, which objectively is just two unrelated songs, I couldn’t really explain why I like it so much more than many of the other programs that similarly are just music the dancers liked.
I think it's because Gilles/Poirier choreography has so many little nods to the 80's in the choreography and mood that it just comes together. It's a very cohesive and authentic nod to the 80's in every way. And I say this as something who was VERY critical of their song choices when they announced them, wondering how the hell they would blend those together 🤷‍♀️

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I think it's because Gilles/Poirier choreography has so many little nods to the 80's in the choreography and mood that it just comes together. It's a very cohesive and authentic nod to the 80's in every way. And I say this as something who was VERY critical of their song choices when they announced them, wondering how the hell they would blend those together 🤷‍♀️
I love that RD. It's far and away my favorite of all the RDs here (and one of my favorites in general this season).

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Looking at the protocols the Italian judge gave C/B all 9.75 and only 9.50 to their team. Only the German judge gave G/F the PCS nod and by just 0.25. Seems like they let TES decide the order overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information