U.S. Ice Dance 2023-24 news & updates

Baby Yoda On Skates

For hardcore LOTR fans, I don't think that would matter. :)
I didn't see the dance in question, but as a hardcore Star Wars fan Flores/Wang missed the mark with their SW LP. When the program doesn't use the music effectively to be a recognizable story, it's not going to make a dent in the online fan community. Honestly F/W could have been skating to anything.

But, it was a missed Reylo opportunity. 😭

shuilee

More confirmation that Papadakis & Cizeron are coming back. Wouldn't be surprised if this is last season for Bock. Potentially their last Nationals and Worlds.

IAM is already pushing CPom as the USA #1 starting next season? Astronomically high score in the FD!

Poor Green/Parsons. Many have been saying they need to leave MIDA. Charlie & Tanith are just not ready yet. Time to go to Montreal with Bock and H&B potentially retiring this season?

skatfan

So I hope Bratti and Somerville get the nod for Worlds. I’ve been rooting for Green and Parsons but they have not made a case for themselves this season or at Nationals. I wonder if G&P will stay at their camp with training mates who are realistically the no 1 couple now?

Willin

Well, aren't they getting married this summer? While they may want to continue to 2026, they may also have other things to think about. I mean, they've been competing Senior for 14/15 years and contemplating retirement since at least Beijing. That's a long time to be going that hard. And while Evan does have a college degree (albiet with a 12 year gap on his resume), Madison doesn't - and they're getting to an age where they need to figure out how to live a normal life after skating: a steadier income, health insurance, a house, kids, a retirement account, etc. I'm sure any season could be their last given those factors. Some have gone older, but most of the skaters in their 30s these days are supported by a working spouse and/or have a day job.

I think getting married would be a good point to retire at - especially if they get their team medals this year. One does wonder if part of the motivation for continuing to 2026 is that medal.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Well, aren't they getting married this summer? While they may want to continue to 2026, they may also have other things to think about. I mean, they've been competing Senior for 14/15 years and contemplating retirement since at least Beijing. That's a long time to be going that hard. And while Evan does have a college degree (albiet with a 12 year gap on his resume), Madison doesn't - and they're getting to an age where they need to figure out how to live a normal life after skating: a steadier income, health insurance, a house, kids, a retirement account, etc. I'm sure any season could be their last given those factors. Some have gone older, but most of the skaters in their 30s these days are supported by a working spouse and/or have a day job.

I think getting married would be a good point to retire at - especially if they get their team medals this year. One does wonder if part of the motivation for continuing to 2026 is that medal.
An individual Olympic medal...

sk8nlizard

He said in an interview last week that the 2026 Olympics is their goal. I have to imagine that his emotions now may be because he's currently very sick and they just delivered a poor performance.
I feel very conflicted. If P/C come back, C/B are very likely to be dethroned, so I understand wanting to leave at the top. But they are also halfway through an Olympic Cycle already, with chaos underneath them in the US, feels like a lot of work not to stick with it til Italy. And they are still improving…

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
Even if PC return, CB would certainly be the favorites for the individual Olympic silver. Continuing to another Olympics could help them make a good chunk of money through sponsorships and the media attention to help set up their life after competition
Yeah, there is a hit to the ego but I think it’s leaving a lot of money on the table. Madison is soft launching a design career - losing free Olympic attention on her costuming could be short sighted.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Even if PC return, CB would certainly be the favorites for the individual Olympic silver. Continuing to another Olympics could help them make a good chunk of money through sponsorships and the media attention to help set up their life after competition
Dancers don’t seem to get that much in the way of sponsorship/media, especially since Ilia will get most of the deals/attention. Maybe some with gold but still not much.

Allskate

I just listened to the ice dance press conference. Evan sounded very tired and admitted that he is "depleted and emotionally vacant" right now. He's really frustrated about still not having their Beijing Olympic medals.

Madi felt worse yesterday. She thinks they have some flu bug. (They did wear masks for the press conference and, according to the other skaters, they apparently stayed away from everyone earlier in the day.) The USFSA person made it sound like they are still planning to do Four Continents, though.

Madi said that, coming into the week, they weren't thinking that this would be their last Nationals. But, when they were deciding whether to skate today, she wondered what if, at the end of the season, they feel complete and that's it, would they regret not competing today, and they thought they would. So, they competed.

Here's a link to the press conference:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Madi said that, coming into the week, they weren't thinking that this would be their last Nationals. But, when they were deciding whether to skate today, she wondered what if, at the end of the season,

I’m confused so all along they had been planning to keep on continuing but because they had the flu they’re thinking of retiring?

Allskate

I’m confused so all along they had been planning to keep on continuing but because they had the flu they’re thinking of retiring?
I just wrote what she said. You can watch it for yourself and see what your interpretation is. (They spoke first at the press conference and then left right away.) My impression was that they don't plan to retire but haven't decided 100%. Their thought process seemed to be that, in the unlikely event that they decide not to continue after this season, would they wish they had skated their free program today. But, I'm not in their heads. I'm not sure they're really thinking that straight themselves. Evan, especially, seemed extremely tired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information