Worlds Exhibition, live on Peacock today at 2pm est

Desperado

Back at all the jerks who couldn't be bothered about Lukas Britschgi or take exception to skaters not staying in their racial/ethnic lane. :rolleyes:
I’m one of the “jerks” who asked about cultural appropriation in a performance thread a while back.

My exact words were “Is this cultural appropriation? I feel uncomfortable watching this.”

Not exactly pilloring anything or anyone but I do remember the shellacking response.

I think white people not of the heritage shouldn’t be judging was is or isn’t appropriation.

The same principle exists for men judging sexism, white folks judging racism, straight people judging homophobia.

I wish we could’ve left this thread be nice and fun.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Back at all the jerks who couldn't be bothered about Lukas Britschgi or take exception to skaters not staying in their racial/ethnic lane. :rolleyes:

I have no idea what you are talking about with regards to Lukas but your misplaced response to a person (Balde) paying homage to his family which if you bothered to take 5 seconds you could have educated yourself.

You are often such a negative voice on this board, you continually criticize and jump to assumptions without any critical thinking. I have been on this board since it started and I don’t have anyone on ignore and never have but I might join the others and put you on ignore which is a shame as you often have some good information to share and obviously put effort into that. Thank goodness we have so many other knowledgeable posters to fill that gap

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I have no idea what you are talking about with regards to Lukas but your misplaced response to a person (Balde) paying homage to his family which if you bothered to take 5 seconds you could have educated yourself.

You are often such a negative voice on this board, you continually criticize and jump to assumptions without any critical thinking. I have been on this board since it started and I don’t have anyone on ignore and never have but I might join the others and put you on ignore which is a shame as you often have some good information to share and obviously put effort into that. Thank goodness we have so many other knowledgeable posters to fill that gap
You know, it's sort of funny that you're criticizing me for not taking the time to educate myself but you clearly haven't bothered with educating yourself as to why I would have made that comment in the first place.

I realize you were at the competition and not necessarily following along in the pbp threads, so I'll give you the grace you seem to not want to afford me - as soon as someone else replied about Elladj's background I said "Okay, then, my bad."

I do still take exception to the folks who are always calling into question any program as cultural appropriation just because the skater in question doesn't fit their perception of who should be allowed to have certain types of programs. People didn't scream "cultural appropriation" 25 years ago when Elvis Stojko gave us one of the best, most creative short programs ever to taiko drums but I'm not so certain that the same would be true today and that's a shame. Let the skaters be and let them take risks and let them explore different genres of music, art and culture and express those interests on the ice unless they're just completely disrespectful and culturally illiterate like Domnina/Shabalin's aboriginal program.

skatfan

I do still take exception to the folks who are always calling into question any program as cultural appropriation just because the skater in question doesn't fit their perception of who should be allowed to have certain types of programs.
No one is “always calling into question.” You just made that up.

Re: cultural appropriation. You know it’s more complicated than that. Stojko was a known martial artist who knew the culture (and Japan was never colonized). No one would blink an eye today.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I loved his Rap music. He’s definitely in the ethnic groove. I laughed when Mark suggested that Lukas would do Swiss yodeling next year!

Milan

As a program positively inspired by his childhood and travels, I am failing to understand why Lukas' program is potentially causing offense.. I also didn't see anything that would negatively depict or reduce any minority?

skatfan

As a program positively inspired by his childhood and travels, I am failing to understand why Lukas' program is potentially causing offense.. I also didn't see anything that would negatively depict or reduce any minority?
There was one person in another thread who simply asked a question. I'm glad someone is asking questions - it's not a bad thing. At least we are all beyond the Domnina and Shabalin period, which was all the worse because it was an Olympic year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information