Worlds Exhibition, live on Peacock today at 2pm est

kemc

I could 100% do without Stojko and Messing but Patrick was an ambassador for these Worlds (with Joanie Rochette) and Elladj has a huge SM following created by making his skating (and by extension, skating in general) popular despite not being a title holder.

The four are also all men (pretty sure Dr. Rochette chooses not to skate in shows) which is far from ideal for me.
Also Elladje is a role model and takes that responsibility very seriously.

Andrey aka Pushkin

Playing ping pong with balls of chocolate jam
There's a reason I never watch galas. Wow that was boring!!!

With one exception: who knew Malinin has a personality after all :eek:
That was easily the best choreographed program he ever had. It's a shame he's always given these classics he obviously don't care for.

Also: 4a at the gala? Common! You don't have to humiliate your fellow skaters :drama:

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Honestly? I'm more than a little offended that Canada is having these 4 retired skaters performing in the Worlds gala. I have no problem with Les Supremes seeing as they are one of the best synchro teams in the world but this event is supposed to be about celebrating the skaters that made Worlds so memorable. They are riding the coattails of past greats instead of supporting their current skaters. Wesley is the national champ, despite his poor result here. Spend some money to fly Kaiya Ruiter in as she is also your national champ. I can understand 1 or 2 of those retired skaters but 4? That's just wrong.
Obviously the viewing audience and the actual audience (including me) disagrees totally with you. The got great reactions and it’s our country and competition. Those “retired” skaters are icons in this country
It’s already been very well established that Canada sucks, so we just don’t give a shit what anyone thinks anymore. :p
Oh I am so glad you said that. We were discussing an appropriate response (you know us Canadians actually here) and that was perfect!

4rkidz

So, uhm... Where are the folks who were b*tching last night (and at other points in the season) about Lukas Britschgi's African program? Does Elladj have any more of a personal connection to Africa than Lukas? If so, is that just because of he's black? Generationally, how far back are the African ancestors for him? Lovely program but I'm gonna guess that no one here will question whether or not it's cultural appropriation the way they did Lukas last night... :shuffle:
You really are clueless sometimes

4rkidz

I typically don’t go to the gala, but I am so glad I actually went to this one and literally had the best seat in the house. Thanks to someone who shall not be named lol.
I really enjoyed Ilia’s program, I don’t normally like that kind of music but his conviction totally hooked me! He has really grown on me this week and I’m also impressed with his respectful behaviour and how well liked he is by the other skaters.
Lucas is a new find for me this season I can’t wait to see what he brings next season, same with Adam! Yuma is now my favourite Japanese skater, although when Shoma is on he is incredible.
Our new pairs world champs really created an atmosphere that was very moving in the building with everyone waving their phone flashlights. Just so glad that most of my long term favourites are not retiring and already talking about next season!

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
I always enjoy a gala live but hate it otherwise. That being said, if it’s not included in my all-event I am for sure not paying for it.

Andrey aka Pushkin

Playing ping pong with balls of chocolate jam
@Andrey aka Pushkin wasn't 13 six years ago so he shouldn't think its old! ;)

If its a classic it eluded me but that's probably because I am old. :lol:
The point is not whether he once had a program set to a music that was written less than 200 years ago, but the style of the aforementioned music, and Ilia's connection to it, or rather lack of it.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
So, uhm... Where are the folks who were b*tching last night (and at other points in the season) about Lukas Britschgi's African program? Does Elladj have any more of a personal connection to Africa than Lukas? If so, is that just because of he's black? Generationally, how far back are the African ancestors for him? Lovely program but I'm gonna guess that no one here will question whether or not it's cultural appropriation the way they did Lukas last night... :shuffle:
If you were interested in checking you would know that he was able to visit his GRANDFATHER in Africa several years ago along with his FATHER who was born there.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
A beautiful homage to his family. Thanks for attempting to educate those that can’t be bothered.
Back at all the jerks who couldn't be bothered about Lukas Britschgi or take exception to skaters not staying in their racial/ethnic lane. :rolleyes:

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Call me an un-nice Canadian, but I take exception to some folks who seem to take every opportunity to denigrate all things at all connected to 🇨🇦

I have never gotten on the "cultural" bandwagon and am proud to live in a multicultural country of generations of immigrants. We celebrate both our diversity and that of those on whose ancestral land we dwell.

I know my country is not perfect, but what country is?

Just call me a proud Canadian 😺
🇨🇦

Last edited:

skatfan

Back at all the jerks who couldn't be bothered about Lukas Britschgi or take exception to skaters not staying in their racial/ethnic lane. :rolleyes:
Your defensiveness is misplaced. There were questions about Lukas, it wasn't a take down by any means. One does have to be respectful of other cultures in selecting music, especially us white folks using colonized people's music, and questions were asked. You were the one that then got triggered into questioning a black skater who literally has living relatives in Africa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information