2024-2025 NQS Series (U.S. qualifying competition season dates/locations)

Karen-W

So a parent who has never been a member, for example, would not be able to volunteer?

I think the background check and safesport training are pretty standard. Surprised a background check is $30, though. Our org is $8.
My nieces' youth org background check was $30. It can vary depending on the company that USFS has contracted with for the services.

ice coverage

So a parent who has never been a member, for example, would not be able to volunteer? ...

Without any past or present membership in USFS, I have volunteered at lots of USFS events.
As a non-member volunteer, I understandably am allowed to enter only limited areas of of the vast USFS portal. I have access to the compliance area, where I can take care of my background check and SafeSport training. (They need to be renewed periodically.)

Last edited:

emilieh

So a parent who has never been a member, for example, would not be able to volunteer?

I think the background check and safesport training are pretty standard. Surprised a background check is $30, though. Our org is $8.

You can sign up for a member number as a volunteer. I was never a skating member of USFS before I got a membership number as a volunteer.

marshallpond

It all depends on how strict the competition is, how big it is, and what volunteer position you will hold. I have worked with some competitions that required volunteers to sign up in the EMS portal, requiring you to have a USFS number.

But suppose you work in the Officials' or Coaches' Hospitality or in preparing/buying items for the goodie bags, for example. In that case, you don't need a background check and Safesport training as you won't interact with the skaters.

There are many positions available. I, for one, help out yearly with our old club, doing email marketing for them remotely and post-competition surveys and analysis, as I moved to a different state years ago.

Reach out to your LOC and check what positions may be available

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Reach out to your LOC and check what positions may be available

According to @emilieh and @ice coverage, you don't need to be a member to get a number.

I'm not in an area where there are competitions, I was more trying to understand the process in general and how much of a barrier it is to volunteering. It seems like it is enough of a barrier to turn some people away, but not a huge one.

marshallpond

According to @emilieh and @ice coverage, you don't need to be a member to get a number.
That's true - you can create an account as a volunteer.

If you have a kid competing in a competition or you just plan to watch a particular competition, some competitions allow volunteers from outside their club. I do it sometimes to score free tickets (for paid events) so I get in for free LOL.

Some clubs require members to volunteer X number of hours per year, and if they don't meet that requirement, they are fined.

Last edited:

Jonas

Anyone know whether the Philadelphia Summer Championships are open to the public and, if so, how much are tickets?? I left a voicemail and an email w/the Club, but haven't received a response.

Any intel on which skaters are slated to compete would be nice too!

Debbie S

Anyone know whether the Philadelphia Summer Championships are open to the public and, if so, how much are tickets?? I left a voicemail and an email w/the Club, but haven't received a response.

Yes, the Philly Summer Champs are open to the public and they have never charged for entry before (except for the Senior B, that rink only, the first year they held it).

ice coverage

... Philadelphia Summer Championships ...

Schedule for Aleksa Rakic of Canada "includes a summer event at the end of July in Philadelphia," per Rob Brodie's recent article (well worth reading).

I like Aleksa -- wish I could see him.

masik

Yes, the Philly Summer Champs are open to the public and they have never charged for entry before (except for the Senior B, that rink only, the first year they held it).
From the email that was sent out two days ago:

2. Credentials: each skater is given one skater credential, one chaperone credential and one coach credential. Parents must show ID to receive their credential. Credentials are not interchangeable. Coaches must show their ID and have their compliance in order to receive the credential.​

All other spectators are ticketed.​

Debbie S

From the email that was sent out two days ago:

2. Credentials: each skater is given one skater credential, one chaperone credential and one coach credential. Parents must show ID to receive their credential. Credentials are not interchangeable. Coaches must show their ID and have their compliance in order to receive the credential.​

All other spectators are ticketed.​

Interesting, thanks for the info. Philly is a little different than many other club comps in that the (paid) staff of IceWorks is also involved with the comp. It's easier to staff the doors to check for credentials when you have paid employees in addition to volunteers helping out.

marshallpond

I've always found Philly to be very, very strict with their paid policy. All doors to the rinks are manned and you need to show your wristband as proof of payment. At least they are allowing for a chaperone credential. There was a time when even parents had to pay back when it was still the regionals - sectionals format.

Debbie S

I've always found Philly to be very, very strict with their paid policy. All doors to the rinks are manned and you need to show your wristband as proof of payment. At least they are allowing for a chaperone credential. There was a time when even parents had to pay back when it was still the regionals - sectionals format.
Yes, they would charge for Regionals and Sectionals when they hosted, as most clubs hosting those comps did, but not for their summer comp. The only time I remember paying was the first summer they hosted the Senior B and it was just for that event...so in order to get into Rink 2 you needed to show your wristband but not for the others.

I've attended Liberty/Philly almost every year since it's been in Aston (and a couple years at The Pond/Patriot before that). Not sure about this year, I want to see who is competing first. I may go watch Potomac later in August instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information