Let's Talk Movies #36 - 2020 - Yep it is a new decade

Mozart

I've got 99 problems but a colon ain't 1
Saw Ghostbusters last week with my nephews. It was blah. Seeing civil war and money man this week and Abigail and the King Tide next week. So many movies so little time

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
OK, Delta had two Oscar nominated films on my flights I was so excited to watch, anatomy of a fall and zone of interest. oh my gosh maybe I need to watch these off of the airplane because both seemed so so so boring and slow moving and I was so stoked to finally see them.

Did anyone here watch them?

vgerdes

Has anyone gone to see "Abigail"? I'm just wondering if it's worth spending the $$ or if I should wait for it to be available on streaming.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Slightly off topic:lol:

I noticed in the comment section of the trailer on YouTube a lot of people were liking the like a prayer edit into the trailer. They said it was a prayer and a miracle just to get Hugh Jackman to do the film.

ilovepaydays

Just got back from watching Challengers. Being that it is still in it’s opening weekend, I’ll put my review in spoiler.

So…..this movie has apparently gotten some overall great reviews. And the oscarrace subreddit had Zendaya on the watchlist for the awards season. HOW?! It’s so bad - especially for a sports movie with a supposedly romantic/conflict twist. My score: 3.0/10

If you aren’t a fan of movies that show a nonlinear narrative, you don’t want to watch this movie. I don’t typically mind a back-and-forth timeline, but this was almost unwatchable.

To put in simply, the supposed chemistry between Patrick (O’Connor) and Tashi (Zendaya) didn’t really exist. And the chemistry was worse between Tashi and Art (Faist). But was that the point? I don’t know!! 🤷🏻‍♀️

For the final match, I was just wanting Art to divorce Tashi afterwards. Who cares if he later went on to end his career with a win at the U.S. Open??!!

I’m not going to give away how the final match ends (or doesn’t?), but I said “WHAT?!” out loud when the ending credits came up. And I’m pretty sure others in the theater as well. A lot of us just looked bewildered at each other. 🫤

Last edited:

Seerek

OK, Delta had two Oscar nominated films on my flights I was so excited to watch, anatomy of a fall and zone of interest. oh my gosh maybe I need to watch these off of the airplane because both seemed so so so boring and slow moving and I was so stoked to finally see them.

Did anyone here watch them?
I did enjoy both films (more so "Anatomy", in my top 10 films of 2023).

If slow moving/international films isn't your thing generally, then I don't think it would matter where you would watch them.
Everyone has their "pocket" of film genres/styles - it's all good.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

I did enjoy both films (more so "Anatomy", in my top 10 films of 2023).

If slow moving/international films isn't your thing generally, then I don't think it would matter where you would watch them.
Everyone has their "pocket" of film genres/styles - it's all good.

What’s ironic is that that type of genre usually is my preferred taste. I just found both of them to be such a slow burn. Maybe I should give them both a do over.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Just got back from watching Challengers. Being that it is still in it’s opening weekend, I’ll put my review in spoiler.

So…..this movie has apparently gotten some overall great reviews. And the oscarrace subreddit had Zendaya on the watchlist for the awards season. HOW?! It’s so bad - especially for a sports movie with a supposedly romantic/conflict twist. My score: 3.0/10

If you aren’t a fan of movies that show a nonlinear narrative, you don’t want to watch this movie. I don’t typically mind a back-and-forth timeline, but this was almost unwatchable.

To put in simply, the supposed chemistry between Patrick (O’Connor) and Tashi (Zendaya) didn’t really exist. And the chemistry was worse between Tashi and Art (Faist). But was that the point? I don’t know!! 🤷🏻‍♀️

For the final match, I was just wanting Art to divorce Tashi afterwards. Who cares if he later went on to end his career with a win at the U.S. Open??!!

I’m not going to give away how the final match ends (or doesn’t?), but I said “WHAT?!” out loud when the ending credits came up. And I’m pretty sure others in the theater as well. A lot of us just looked bewildered at each other. 🫤
You got me curious, so I went and looked at The Movie Spoiler. It sounds terrible. This got 88 percent positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes!?

ilovepaydays

You got me curious, so I went and looked at The Movie Spoiler. It sounds terrible. This got 88 percent positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes!?

Well, you know - many people are (apparently) entranced with a story if there’s anything “provocative” enough about it. 🙄 I can’t believe Josh O’Connor and Zendaya read this script, after the careers they’ve had (especially O’Connor - who has won a Golden Globe and IMHO did the best job of playing Charles in The Crown) and thought, “Yeah! This story will be great!” 😑

I’m very much looking forward to watching The Fall Guy on either Thursday or Friday. And what comes out of Cannes later in May.

manhn

Isn’t Challengers directed by the man who did Call Me By Your Name? Haven’t seen the movie, but I can see why young actors would want to work with the director. Zendaya also worked with Timothee on the Dune movies so got advice from him.

ilovepaydays

Isn’t Challengers directed by the man who did Call Me By Your Name? Haven’t seen the movie, but I can see why young actors would want to work with the director. Zendaya also worked with Timothee on the Dune movies so got advice from him.

Yes - Luca Guadagnino. He also directed Chalamet in Bones and All, which I’ve not seen, but…….NOPE. 😬

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Not sure if this belongs in the movie thread, but I am putting it here.

CNN showed a very interesting documentary on the Titanic, with old photos of some of the passengers and the captain (Smith). Now we can remember some names and faces of some real people on the Titanic. They are not just numbers (how many died).

The documentary uses clips from the movie 'Titanic', as well as some real things, and how difficult it was to collect the artifacts from the sunken ship.

Since women and children were the first to board the lifeboats, those who died on the Titanic were mostly men, it seems. It created many widows. Parents and children were separated.

Even though many got on the life boats, help came after many hours. A few died on the lifeboats. It was very cold. They were surrounded by ice and were without food and water for a long time.

There were other ships in the area but they were quite far, like 60 miles away. Ship Californian did not go to rescue after the SOS call from Titanic, but one boat (Carpathian) did. Their captain turned around to help the people on the sinking ship, but he had to move carefully through the ice field, to avoid the same fate as the Titanic.

The lifeboats did not go back to rescue the remaining passengers that were left on the boat (it collided with the iceberg around 11 pm, and it sank at 2 am).

It is still not clear to me why they didn't have enough lifeboats on the ship. Was it because they believed the ship to be unsinkable or was was there a class war (only rich people would be saved)?

There were some miraculous survivors, but overall it was a heartbreaking tragedy. It is a fascinating documentary. I would love to watch it again.

James Cameron did a lot of research to make his movie Titanic. I saw some parallels between history and fiction (the movie). I am tempted to watch the movie again. It's been many years since I watched it.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
It is still not clear to me why they didn't have enough lifeboats on the ship. Was it because they believed the ship to be unsinkable or was was there a class war (only rich people would be saved)?
It was so there were fewer obstructed views for the 1st class passengers. And the owner thought that too many lifeboats made the ship look less pretty.

They got away with it because the regulations on how many lifeboats were required weren't updated for such a large ship.

ilovepaydays

Just got home from watching The Fall Guy. Being that it’s still in its opening weekend, I’ll put my review in spoiler.

Overall, I give this movie an 8.0/10. I was really hopeful to love this movie, but I ended up, well, just liking it. Before the movie, there’s a welcome from David Leitch (director) and Ryan Gosling (Colt) saying that the film to honor the work that the stunt team/second unit does in films. And it ABSOLUTELY delivered on that. 👍

Colt is a stuntman for movie star Tom Ryder (Aaron Taylor-Johnson) and Colt quits after getting badly injured on set. He also breaks up with Jodie (Emily Blunt). Out of the blue, Colt gets called to Australia to double for Tom before he needs to star in an action film, which is a directorial debut for Jodie. Turns out, Colt is framed for Tom killing the original stuntman and Colt is on a chase to clear his name and win Jodie back. Colt succeeds in both, the movie gets recasted to star Jason Mamoa 😊, and the movie becomes a huge hit.

What’s superb: 1) Gosling’s performance, and 2) How well the movie showed the work that the second unit does in films. The ending credits shows the stunt work that went into The Fall Guy.

Nickpick: I hate to say it, but Emily Blunt’s performance fell flat to me. At no point in the movie did I “get” Jodie’s chemistry towards Colt or that she was actually “being” the director of this movie. I feel like a more comedic actress would have been better for the role.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information