2023 Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships & International, July 31-Aug. 2

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Their FD score is worth watching also. They'll have to make up over 5 points, though, just to catch Ilin & Cain. It's not the same event, of course; but this is the only one B&S have entered.
True enough. Or both Ilin/Cain and Bland/Sperry (as well as Cui/Eckert) make it really easy on the USFS by not getting close to the 135+ scores the top 6 teams at Dallas Classic put up. Carhart/Horovyi are looking good to score at least that as well - if there's 7 teams that are a good 5 points or more ahead of the rest of the junior field, it makes it really easy to just give those 7 teams 2 JGPs each and call it a day.

Dobre

True enough. Or both Ilin/Cain and Bland/Sperry (as well as Cui/Eckert) make it really easy on the USFS by not getting close to the 135+ scores the top 6 teams at Dallas Classic put up. Carhart/Horovyi are looking good to score at least that as well - if there's 7 teams that are a good 5 points or more ahead of the rest of the junior field, it makes it really easy to just give those 7 teams 2 JGPs each and call it a day.
Ah, I'm forgetting the Mullens.

So the fight would likely be to get the first spot open if a team doesn't earn whatever score USFS requires in order to earn a second berth at the team's first JGP. Provided no other teams crack the top 6 from Dallas. I still think worth watching because as long as I've been watching the JGP, we've never had a season in which every U.S. team earned an invite for a second berth.

Karen-W

68.11 for McNamara/Spiridonov - not the strongest of scores, but they tend to improve a lot as the season progresses.

58.72 for Bashynska/Beaumont - ouch. Even for a just-up-from-juniors team and a season debut, that's a rough score.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
What the heck is going on with the scores for the Senior Domestic RD. They still haven’t made them final and posted the protocols.

Dobre

Oh, that's a nice RD score for Tkachenko & Kiliakov. 64.20

Their previous PB (in juniors, obviously) was 59.72.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Not the best night for L/R. Robinson/Portz are the top Canadians after the RD! PORTZ, you idiot autocorrect, not Portland.

Dobre

Robinson/Portz are the top Canadians after the RD!
I know. I'd say that's the biggest surprise.

Bashynska & Beaumont had a fall on the footwork. (Yeah, that can be brutal. Their components mark is 5th).

Looks like McNamara & Spiridinov had issues on their rotational lift and Nosovitskaya & Nosovitsky + Hensen & Lickers had issues on the twizzles.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Checked in to see the scores. Drat that Z/K withdrew, I was hoping for a top 3 from them. Really surprised to see the Browns ahead of DavSmo, already IAM is working it’s magic?

Karen-W

That account also gave us DavSmo!!!

ETA - The Browns packaging already looks 100% better than last season, though I loathe the black tights half over the boots thing. And that goes for Diana as well - I don't care if you're going for that classic '80s legwarmers look - either go all in like PapCiz or don't even bother.

Last edited:

Dobre

Larson & Kapran:). Yes, it's rough; but someone on their team understood that the assignment was nostalgia.

Robinson & Portz. OK, that's pretty cute, team Madison & Diaz. All one concept. Smooth transition in the music. Within the level of the skaters.

Not to name names, but some people are so totally out of their element:rofl:. The dancing is gonna take some work.

Dobre

I like the Ferris Bueller's music off the top of the car program.

Also you have to love the very 1980s synthesizer sound that kicks in here, there, & everywhere throughout the event.

I'm going to like this RD season. There's going to be nice variety, I think; by the time we've seen everybody from all over the place.

Karen-W

@EdgyIceMarks - you just made my evening!

Jr Int'l RD thoughts -
NesMark - I said it when reviewing the photos from Dallas Classic, but it bears repeating - Leah is ALL IN on the '80s makeup and hair and I'm loving it! Pretty good RD too - I can't wait to see it by Nats or Jr Worlds when they've had another 6-7 months to polish it and add speed.
Peals - I don't think choosing "Rhythm Nation" only 2 seasons after HubDon used it so brilliantly (and had Leslie Jones tweeting about it during the Olympic TE) does them any favors. They're a junior team that lacks the power and finesse HubDon had by that point in their career and the memories are too fresh for any comparison to be good. I do like her costume though - his not so much.
CarHor - Bit rough, but should look much better by next month when they make their JGP debut. He is a credible Freddie Mercury, but her costume isn't even trying for the '80s and I disapprove. How hard would it have been to make her look like a groupie to his Freddie?
Mullens - first third is EVERYTHING we were hoping for with this RD theme (though they could use some work on matching their lines on the twizzles), kind of fizzles for the Argentine Tango section, and the energy level for the last third isn't there yet, but I give them solid marks for effort and look forward to seeing what this looks like by Nats.
Stanley/Sosnenko - real improvement from them since last season! Also, big props to her for the neon pink legwarmers. They have a Jazzercize look, but with black, neon pink and electric orange, so it didn't quite feel '80s, but I'll give them a pass because I do believe she crimped her hair.
Goodstadt/Bennett - lots of potential with this team; really like the "Love Shack"/"Black Velvet" mix, though I really don't recall fringe skirts being a thing in the '80s - their team should have given Emma a bubble skirt instead.
Gover/Wilson-French - still don't understand their costumes and they move like molasses (not at all surprising seeing as they're a new team), which doesn't work with a song like "I Love Rock & Roll".
Chung/Mackenzie - well, their costume designer would have gotten it right had they omitted the side cut-outs from her dress; not much there yet with this team, but as others have said, it's a rebuilding year for Canada on the junior level.
Bland/Sperry - Paula Abdul mix including "Straight Up"! She really biffed it on the twizzles and they're definitely looking very early season not quite ready; not sure they're going to earn a JGP assignment this season with the improved depth of US juniors overall.
Guedes Tibau/Dawson - I give her credit for committing to the '80s with the high pony and the huge, neon pink costume jewelry earrings. He botched their twizzles and overall, they were really slow. They'll just be happy if they can earn the TES mins for Jr Worlds, methinks.

Karen-W

Jr NQS RD thoughts -

Pedersen/Chen - Jeffrey never ever looked as happy and joyful with Wolfkostin as he does with Yahli. He is a total star, but Yahli matches his energy! He looks like he is taking such care of her, which is a very different dynamic from his last partnership. Lots to get excited about with this new pairing! Also, mad props to their costume designer for not making it obvious that they're skating to Queen. (I'm lookin' at you - Yaro, CarHor, Cui/Eckert, etc) Watch me have to eat my words, but I'm predicting they're going to be assigned to JGP Istanbul.
Cui/Eckert - first time seeing this team and I like them! Nice lines and decent speed for a junior team - the depth of US ice dance is just insane. Making the top 10 at Nats, or even just making it to Nats out of the junior ranks, is going to be a major accomplishment, but they're in the mix. I hope they get added to the ISP. Also, their costumes are much better than the ones CarHor have.
Ilin/Cain - they're so young!!!! Their talent and potential is undeniable though. They're going to be in the mix as a JGP 1st alternate should any of the assigned teams have to withdraw, but I suspect they're going to have to wait until next season to make their JGP debut once some of these older teams age out.
Stapert/Korotcov - this costume is giving off late '00s vibes rather than '80s vibes, and she couldn't even manage a high ponytail with all that hair - hmph. Having said that, they had better Paula Abdul energy than Bland/Sperry in the Jr Int'l event.
Renzi/Lissauer - Footloose! Not bad at all - I especially enjoyed their midline step sequence to end - really captures the character of the music and the dance sequence at the end of the original movie!
Bushell/Haddad - So, Oona Brown needs to find out who Sophia Bushell's costume designer is and get in touch - they have very similar body types, yet Sophia's dress is far more flattering than pretty much anything I've ever seen on Oona. Big biff from him on the twizzles, but I like their look together. Good potential with more time.
Calhoun/Veselukhin - Down she went at the end of their twizzles, but they had some nice choreo between the 1st & 2nd twizzle that really embodies the character and feel of "Billie Jean".
Epps/Gilman - shame she struggled on her twizzles, but they're young, so they've got plenty of time ahead of them to make the JGP since this season isn't looking like it's in the cards.
Cialella/Goldshteyn - His hair is giving me strong early '80s vibes, so props for that. Gotta love '80s synthesizer - that's the only thing memorable about the program, which means I'll probably remember them for the music alone when I see them next at the US Ice Dance Final in November.
Melillo/Mintz - well, I have no opinion since it looks like Bushell/Haddad's RD was uploaded twice and labeled as Melillo/Mintz once. Oh well - that just gives me permission to also skip Hagan/Hagan.

Karen-W

Sr NQS RD thoughts - only five teams to watch, which I can plow through tonight. Gonna try and wake up early to watch the rest of the Sr Int'l RDs.

Wolfkostin/Tsarevski - they're really good together! Close on the twizzles and pretty good synchronicity! Program does seem a bit on the generic side, though.
Flores/Desyatov - I don't think this is the same costume she had a Dallas Classic - they're giving off the '80s metal vibe hardcore here. Good choreo on the twizzles that goes pretty well with "Pour Some Sugar On Me". 2nd half of the program isn't as strong as the 1st half.
Koncius/Shchepetov - I really like their energy and style - a bit more sophisticated than the two teams ahead of them, but I kind of hope the USFS throws them a bone and assigns them to a Challenger this season.
Kowar/Schwappach - they came, they competed. We'll see if they can make it to Nats again this season.
Murphy/Levitt - oh, this dress is giving such mid-80s prom vibes! Awful fall on the lift entry and that cost them a lot of points! Such a shame.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Wolfkostin/Tsarevski changed their opening piece of music from “The Promise” by When in Rome to “Love is a Battlefield” by Pat Benatar. I preferred the former!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information