2023 Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships & International, July 31-Aug. 2

Marta24

It's so unreasonable to not provide a livestream. The last few days felt like 2008 again, where I would sit in my dorm searching desperately for a stream, giving up out of frustration and refresh the page like a mad woman.

barbk

❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️
Tutu magic!!!!!! Davis & Gentleman Smolkin did it!!!! 🇬🇪
OMG! OMG! OMG!
…with the adorable Browns second? 🇺🇸
Life is Perfect. Can’t wait to see this.
❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️
I'm a fan of the Browns, but Davis and Smolkin looked a lot sharper. I'm still not sure why they didn't win the first segment. (It would undoubtedly help to look at the protocols, but I'm a I-see-but-don't-understand-ice-dance judging person)

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I'm a fan of the Browns, but Davis and Smolkin looked a lot sharper. I'm still not sure why they didn't win the first segment. (It would undoubtedly help to look at the protocols, but I'm a I-see-but-don't-understand-ice-dance judging person)
Maybe it’s the youth of the Browns? It’s not fair but sometimes it’s the physical vibe…Browns are full of the vibe.

SidelineSkater

Do we know if D/S had this program last year too and never competed? Upthread someone seemed to indicate that was the reason for the polished performance. Or is their Eteri bonus still in effect?

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Oona and Gage skated closer together. Their lines matched better. Their extension was better. Their twizzles were better. They did a lot more in hold than Diana and Gleb did. They didn't keep stopping to pose like Diana and Gleb did.

Tinycities

Update! Digging around and noticed the senior and junior domestic frees have now been posted to the link above, hopefully senior international comes soon. (I had noticed the Korean twitter account had been posting them too)

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Update! Digging around and noticed the senior and junior domestic frees have now been posted to the link above, hopefully senior international comes soon. (I had noticed the Korean twitter account had been posting them too)
Fantastic news! I've got 45 minutes before work which gives me plenty of time to watch the senior NQS FDs!

Wyliefan

Thank you!!

Bella and Ivan's WSS is very simple, and again they probably need to punch up some of the content and choreography, but it does have a nice classic feel. And their connection, flow, and energy are good. And honestly, Bella looks thrilled to death just to be back on the scene. No wonder, after all she's had to go through to get there.

Wyliefan

I would not have recognized Katarina with her hair pulled back like that! She survived the twizzles again (barely :lol: )! That's a very good tango program, but they still need some work on their speed and sharpness -- there are some great moves in there, but they need to really refine them so they stand out. They do have some nice lines. And they need to try to match their expressions a little better -- right now he's doing fierce tango and she's doing happy tango.

Karen-W

Senior NQS FD thoughts -

WolfTsar - WOW! I love this FD! A tango that actually tangos! Lots of skating together, even in dance holds! This was great!
FlorDes - Nice enough FD, definitely agree with @Wyliefan, especially skating right after WolfTsar.
KonShch - I finally figured out who they (and Carhart/Kolosovskyi, for that matter) remind me of - Garabedian/Proulx Senecal - all very nice, pretty skating, but overall pretty vanilla and yeah... Not sure about that lift at the end - seemed like it was aborted or something. Still, it's a shame she doesn't have a passport from some OES and the best they can hope for from the USFS is maybe a Challenger every other season.

Decisions, decisions... Watch the other 2 senior teams or some of the junior teams I'm far more interested in... Junior NQS teams it is!

PedChen - POTO and it's sequel? I'm not a POTO aficionado so I'll leave it to others to fully identify the music. Fine for what it is, but they aren't bringing anything new to the ice dance rink here. Should be enough for at least 1 JGP.
Cui/Eckert - Ghost - someone needs to burn that CD up there at SCoB. Just because Chan/Howe made it work last season doesn't mean y'all need to inflict it on the skating world any more. Oh, and borrowing Hot!Ghost's tunic doesn't make you inherently hot, junior ice dance boy. I have no real thoughts on the program itself. It's generic in the same way that PedChen's program is generic. They did have twizzle issues - or, well, mostly him.
Ilin/Cain - not bad, given how young they are. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if the USFS gives them a JGP should any of the teams that have managed to score 135+ not score well enough at their 1st JGP to warrant a second.

Okay, time for work - the senior Int'l FDs are slowly being uploaded, btw.

Marta24

It's great to see the Browns to be so ready already in August. I'm not sure if that FD works 100% for them, though. I hoped for something more powerful.

That skate from Davis/Smolkin was not a 117 points skate regardless what the judges are saying.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
ok now that people have seen most of the performances and talked we can now discuss the most important tidbit of info: cpom was there to watch the international senior fd.

lol I didn't want to take away from the actual competition but also it was nice of them to presumably support their friends or gamer of them to psych out the competition idk

Karen-W

ok now that people have seen most of the performances and talked we can now discuss the most important tidbit of info: cpom was there to watch the international senior fd.

lol I didn't want to take away from the actual competition but also it was nice of them to presumably support their friends or gamer of them to psych out the competition idk
Maybe a mix of both?

All I gotta say is they (and SmaDie) best show up next week and compete at the Quebec Summer Championships and not withdraw last minute. We need to see more of these teams' material. Like yesterday, lol.

platniumangel

Last break of the day and time to watch the last two Sr Int'l RDs!

Ritter/Brykalov - they have really good twizzles; program was bland and I was distracted by the mismatched reds of their costumes - he was in a red & black shirt while her leather pants were burgundy & black. I do give her major points for the very crimped, big hair.
Shilling/Baeten - "Walk Like an Egyptian" complete with the faux Egyptian choreo from the '80s - good, Lord, Igor, do better than this schlock for Zingas/Kolesnik, please. Oh, man... this transitions into "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" - someone's living their best late '80s life here. Shame about the fall, though I'm not sure this program can be saved even without a fall.

I think Shilling/Baeten work with Matteo Zanni now?

Debbie S

They may have also been getting critiqued there. I believe the plan was to critique the GP teams at the Dallas Classic (which they used to do at Chesapeake Open) but maybe the teams training in Canada elected to do it at LP/closer location.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
They may have also been getting critiqued there. I believe the plan was to critique the GP teams at the Dallas Classic (which they used to do at Chesapeake Open) but maybe the teams training in Canada elected to do it at LP/closer location.
This is actually very interesting information, although I'm not sure anyone else was spotted (which doesn't mean no one was there, just that no one I saw mentioned it).

Karen-W

I think Shilling/Baeten work with Matteo Zanni now?
They have been in Michigan, for the most part, since Worlds. I think they were working with Zanni in Jan/Feb while they chased the TES mins at the dance comps in Europe.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Sorry about Oona Brown’s fall early on. That made a difference.

Davis & Smolkin obvious #1. Sounded like the Black Swan film snd not an outright Swan Lake. FABULOUS deep-edged footwork and two spectacular upside-down high lifts…esp the early one with “no hands” holding! My oh my!

I’m wondering if the “infamous” blonde Georgian-federation President was there to support them in Kiss & Cry? It was hard to tell who was standing by the boards.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Senior Domestic FD

Flores/Desyatov
She has such soft knees and they both have strong basics. Program has potential, perhaps could use a bit more variety in the expression. Very open skating in places so there's room to up the content if they so desire.

Wolfkostin/Tsarevski
I like the bones to this program, there's a lot going on choreographically. Lifts really slow down before the dismounts and could use more flow out. I suppose the stacatto music is somewhat brilliant to hide that. Good potential.

Wyliefan

The site seems to have gone down for the moment, but at least the tweets are still up.

McNamara/Spiridonov's (edited because I screwed up the names!) free looks like a rehash of their last free, boyshorts and all.

I actually like Pate/Bye's Polovetsian Dances, except the part near the end where they start hopping around. That part's too much like the infamous Rachmaninoff Irish jig.

Oona's a gutsy girl to pop right up out of that fall and go into her twizzle. I heard she was upset afterwards, but the rest of the skate was so beautiful, she should be proud of how she recovered.

Diana Davis is about as swanlike as I am.

ETA: Bashynska/Beaumont's R&J is so smooth and gorgeous. Love that opening pose. And what a great mix of Rota and Prokofiev. If you're gonna go warhorse, that's how you do it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information