2023 Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships & International, July 31-Aug. 2

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Browns into 1st with 180.66 total -- with a deduction, yet! Personal best by a mile. With a score like that, I'm guessing the deduction wasn't for a fall.

ETA: No, I'm wrong. Poster at Goldenskate says that Oona did fall. Also that Ling/Wein's issue was a "bootstrap fiasco." (Forgive me for board-dragging, but with no livestream, we have to take our info where we can get it.)

Pate/Bye into 2nd. Only .23 behind Browns in the free.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Browns into 1st with 180.66 total -- with a deduction, yet! Personal best by a mile. With a score like that, I'm guessing the deduction wasn't for a fall.

ETA: No, I'm wrong. Poster at Goldenskate says that Oona did fall. Also that Ling/Wein's issue was a "bootstrap fiasco." (Forgive me for board-dragging, but with no livestream, we have to take our info where we can get it.)

Pate/Bye into 2nd. Only .23 behind Browns in the free.
bootstrap fiasco sounds like what happened to Maxim Naumov at Budapest Trophy last year - if the stoppage is more than a certain amount of time to get it fixed, it's an automatic 5.0 deduction.

Wyliefan

Davis/Smolkin into 1st with 191.82. I would have preferred a Brown win, but still, silver in this crowd, and with PBs in both programs, is a very nice feather in their cap.

Karen-W

That's one heck of a score for DavSmo! Puts them firmly in the realm of Worlds Top 10 if they can manage to beat KazRev for Georgia's spot this year.

Wyliefan

Current Overall Standing
Pl.NameNationPointsRDFD
1Diana DAVIS / Gleb SMOLKIN
GEO.GIF
GEO
2Oona BROWN / Gage BROWN
USA.GIF
USA
3Eva PATE / Logan BYE
USA.GIF
USA
4Lorraine McNAMARA / Anton SPIRIDONOV
USA.GIF
USA
5Molly LANAGHAN / Dmitre RAZGULAJEVS
CAN.GIF
CAN
6Nadiia BASHYNSKA / Peter BEAUMONT
CAN.GIF
CAN
7Elizabeth TKACHENKO / Alexei KILIAKOV
ISR.GIF
ISR
8Alyssa ROBINSON / Jacob PORTZ
CAN.GIF
CAN
9Mariia NOSOVITSKAYA / Michael NOSOVITSKY
ISR.GIF
ISR
10Lily HENSEN / Nathan LICKERS
CAN.GIF
CAN
11Angela LING / Caleb WEIN
USA.GIF
USA
12Zoe LARSON / Andrii KAPRAN
UKR.GIF
UKR
13Sandrine GAUTHIER / Quentin THIEREN
CAN.GIF
CAN
14Leia DOZZI / Pietro PAPETTI
ITA.GIF
ITA
15Samantha RITTER / Daniel BRYKALOV
AZE.GIF
AZE
16Adrienne CARHART / Oleksandr KOLOSOVSKYI
AZE.GIF
AZE
17Livvy SHILLING / Leo BAETEN
BEL.GIF
BEL
Segment Result Details
Pl. NameNationTSS
=
TES
+
PCS
+
COPRSKDed.
-
StN.
1​
Diana DAVIS / Gleb SMOLKINGEO
117.47​
68.71​
48.76​
8.00​
8.25​
8.13​
0.00​
#16​
2​
Oona BROWN / Gage BROWNUSA
105.40​
59.16​
47.24​
8.06​
7.81​
7.75​
1.00​
#13​
3​
Eva PATE / Logan BYEUSA
105.17​
59.03​
46.14​
7.75​
7.69​
7.63​
0.00​
#14​
4​
Nadiia BASHYNSKA / Peter BEAUMONTCAN
104.84​
59.84​
45.00​
7.56​
7.56​
7.38​
0.00​
#8​
5​
Molly LANAGHAN / Dmitre RAZGULAJEVSCAN
103.85​
58.99​
44.86​
7.56​
7.56​
7.31​
0.00​
#11​
6​
Lorraine McNAMARA / Anton SPIRIDONOVUSA
101.04​
57.14​
44.90​
7.63​
7.38​
7.44​
1.00​
#15​
7​
Elizabeth TKACHENKO / Alexei KILIAKOVISR
99.18​
56.80​
43.38​
7.13​
7.31​
7.25​
1.00​
#17​
8​
Alyssa ROBINSON / Jacob PORTZCAN
98.69​
56.29​
42.40​
7.13​
7.19​
6.88​
0.00​
#9​
9​
Lily HENSEN / Nathan LICKERSCAN
96.94​
56.06​
40.88​
7.00​
6.81​
6.63​
0.00​
#5​
10​
Mariia NOSOVITSKAYA / Michael NOSOVITSKYISR
96.08​
55.20​
40.88​
7.00​
6.75​
6.69​
0.00​
#10​
11​
Angela LING / Caleb WEINUSA
93.27​
57.75​
40.52​
6.88​
6.75​
6.63​
5.00​
#12​
12​
Zoe LARSON / Andrii KAPRANUKR
90.70​
51.70​
40.00​
6.75​
6.81​
6.44​
1.00​
#7​
13​
Sandrine GAUTHIER / Quentin THIERENCAN
90.54​
52.16​
38.38​
6.56​
6.25​
6.38​
0.00​
#4​
14​
Leia DOZZI / Pietro PAPETTIITA
87.02​
45.88​
42.14​
7.31​
6.88​
6.88​
1.00​
#6​
15​
Livvy SHILLING / Leo BAETENBEL
84.15​
49.39​
34.76​
5.94​
5.88​
5.56​
0.00​
#1​
16​
Samantha RITTER / Daniel BRYKALOVAZE
84.07​
49.81​
34.26​
5.94​
5.69​
5.50​
0.00​
#2​
17​
Adrienne CARHART / Oleksandr KOLOSOVSKYIAZE
73.24​
41.24​
34.00​
5.94​
5.50​
5.56​
2.00​
#3​

Karen-W

It's almost as if they had a year to practice;).

Looking forward to watching all the free programs when I get the chance!
Sure, but they also have had almost 18 months out of competition, so one might expect a bit of rust there, in addition, just because they had a year to practice wasn't any assurance that their material was any good.

Karen-W

I am positively SCREAMING at Pate/Bye doing Scheherazade like someone please delete this from igor's computer or whatever
Didn't they move to MIDA? Or am I confusing them with Bratti/Somerville?

Karen-W

You are confusing them. They are some of the last Igor holdouts.
Yeah, well, see my comments earlier about Shilling/Baeten's RD music - Igor really must be stopped. I fear whatever he's scraped out o' the ol' barrel for ZingKol.

Tinycities

Yeah, well, see my comments earlier about Shilling/Baeten's RD music - Igor really must be stopped. I fear whatever he's scraped out o' the ol' barrel for ZingKol

If I remember right, Z/K’s free this year was done by Benoit. Not sure if that’s much better.

Dobre

With Benoit it's a 50/50 shot of being fine or just completely bonkers
You are forgetting the 75% chance it looks like an Igor program by the time it's done regardless.

That said, good for them for trying choreography by someone else. I think I've only ever liked a couple of Richaud's programs--Adam's from last season--but other fans have much higher approval ratings. Anyway his style should be different than Igor's usual schtick.

Tinycities

Hopefully the senior ones get posted. Is there any likelihood they’re being withheld due to the RD being posted on twitter?

Wyliefan

Oh, I like that LOTR program for the Peals. Good idea to use hobbity music instead of just being EPIC EPIC EPIC all the way through. It works really well.

But someone needs to tell them, if they must touch the boards, just to touch them and not collapse into them. It breaks the flow.

(That reminds me, I need to go back and finish The Rings of Power. Even though I already had it spoiled for me by about five thousand Twitter users.)

Karen-W

Okay, Jr Int'l FD reviews -

Gover/Wilson-French - how many cuts from the Overture of "Beauty & the Beast" can one fit into the first 1:15 or so of a Jr FD? At least 4 from what I could hear, but it's been awhile since I've listened to that piece, so there might have been more in there. :eek: Of all the versions of the title song from both the original and the live action film, why would one ever choose the one with Emma Thompson singing? Rough twizzles during "Be Our Guest" - could be a real highlight, but only if you can manage to hit them. I dunno... They seem too old for this literal of a program - and that's saying a lot because everyone around here knows how much I love that music and adored Kao Miura's program last season.

Goodstadt/Bennett - well, I'd watch but it seems like GovWF's FD was uploaded twice.

Bland/Sperry - I don't recognize the music, but their costumes and the music itself make me think it's from one of the dystopian teen movies like the Allegiant series or something similar. The program itself is fine, if not remarkable. Might be enough to move them up to 1st alternate spot for any JGP spots since that's the highest FD score any of the teams outside the top 7 from Dallas Classic and LPIDI have managed.

Chung/Mackenzie - I liked Enchanted 10 days ago at NextGen, how do I feel today? Yup, I still like it. If you're a junior team that wants to skate to cutesy Disney, you need to go beyond the staples of Beauty, Aladdin, Hunchback, or Lion King - we need more Enchanted, Tangled, Princess & the Frog, heck even The Little Mermaid is under-used by comparison to those first four. They can use some work on her position in their combo lift - I was getting SierKhob crotch-shot-lift vibes from it and that's never a good thing. Still, overall, the program works for this team at this stage in their development.

Guedes Tibau/Dawson - why am I getting WSS from these costumes? Oh! Elvis! Well, can't have a competition without at least one of those! Nice dance spin during "Are You Lonesome Tonight", random fall on footwork during him about halfway through. They just seem rather slow. The program's fine enough for what it is - Carol Lane didn't dig too deep into her ideas repository for this team, lol.

Carhart/Horovyi - And we have our first Carmen of the season!!! Oh, Marina, you don't work any harder than your old pal Igor at digging deep through your shallow music collection! Ooooo - that was an interesting almost half-illusions from both of them during the first part of their dance spin! But, apart from that - absolutely nothing new brought to the table, which isn't going to move them up the rankings and get them back to Jr Worlds this season.

Mullens - "I'm a Survivor" - red dress with slashes and sequins, black shirt with slashes and sequins. Bit messy in parts, and not necessarily amazing, but it works for them, I think - speed noticeably picks up in their choreo step sequence near the end. I like it and I think they could be a darkhorse podium contender for US Nats.

Stanley/Sosnenko - Blues - I LOVE her dress. There was something off about their twizzles but I don't feel like re-watching. They got an extended lift deduction per the protocol - makes sense now that I've seen the FD.

NesMark - very different feel and tone from their fantastic POTC program last season - more mature and deliberate. It's a good vehicle for them as they make their push toward the JWC podium.

Peals - So, I have to admit, I was extremely inclined to dislike this program for a couple of reasons - 1) I'm not the biggest fan of the Peals in general because I think the lack of size difference between them is going to limit their future potential and 2) I've steadfastly avoided all things LOTR my entire life - never read the books, never watched even one of the movies, etc - because that's just a bridge too far into fantasy nerd-dom for me, lol. Having admitted this - I really enjoyed this program! It works remarkably well for them, the music is wonderful (can't wait for some LOTR fan to tell me what awful cuts they chose because that's the way we roll here at FSU, lol), and they're coming out of the gate this season with very strong material overall - look for them as a darkhorse to qualify for the JGPF and stand on the JWC podium next March!

Karen-W

Hopefully the senior ones get posted. Is there any likelihood they’re being withheld due to the RD being posted on twitter?
My guess would be that it's simply a matter of time. The Jr NQS FD hasn't been posted yet either. Given that the last competition ended just under 2 hours ago, I'm going to hope we see the rest of the events posted later tonight or tomorrow.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series

Gover/Wilson-French - how many cuts from the Overture of "Beauty & the Beast" can one fit into the first 1:15 or so of a Jr FD? At least 4 from what I could hear, but it's been awhile since I've listened to that piece, so there might have been more in there. :eek: Of all the versions of the title song from both the original and the live action film, why would one ever choose the one with Emma Thompson singing? Rough twizzles during "Be Our Guest" - could be a real highlight, but only if you can manage to hit them. I dunno... They seem too old for this literal of a program - and that's saying a lot because everyone around here knows how much I love that music and adored Kao Miura's program last season.

Goodstadt/Bennett - well, I'd watch but it seems like GovWF's FD was uploaded twice.

Bland/Sperry - I don't recognize the music, but their costumes and the music itself make me think it's from one of the dystopian teen movies like the Allegiant series or something similar. The program itself is fine, if not remarkable. Might be enough to move them up to 1st alternate spot for any JGP spots since that's the highest FD score any of the teams outside the top 7 from Dallas Classic and LPIDI have managed.

Chung/Mackenzie - I liked Enchanted 10 days ago at NextGen, how do I feel today? Yup, I still like it. If you're a junior team that wants to skate to cutesy Disney, you need to go beyond the staples of Beauty, Aladdin, Hunchback, or Lion King - we need more Enchanted, Tangled, Princess & the Frog, heck even The Little Mermaid is under-used by comparison to those first four. They can use some work on her position in their combo lift - I was getting SierKhob crotch-shot-lift vibes from it and that's never a good thing. Still, overall, the program works for this team at this stage in their development.

Guedes Tibau/Dawson - why am I getting WSS from these costumes? Oh! Elvis! Well, can't have a competition without at least one of those! Nice dance spin during "Are You Lonesome Tonight", random fall on footwork during him about halfway through. They just seem rather slow. The program's fine enough for what it is - Carol Lane didn't dig too deep into her ideas repository for this team, lol.

Carhart/Horovyi - And we have our first Carmen of the season!!! Oh, Marina, you don't work any harder than your old pal Igor at digging deep through your shallow music collection! Ooooo - that was an interesting almost half-illusions from both of them during the first part of their dance spin! But, apart from that - absolutely nothing new brought to the table, which isn't going to move them up the rankings and get them back to Jr Worlds this season.

Mullens - "I'm a Survivor" - red dress with slashes and sequins, black shirt with slashes and sequins. Bit messy in parts, and not necessarily amazing, but it works for them, I think - speed noticeably picks up in their choreo step sequence near the end. I like it and I think they could be a darkhorse podium contender for US Nats.

Stanley/Sosnenko - Blues - I LOVE her dress. There was something off about their twizzles but I don't feel like re-watching. They got an extended lift deduction per the protocol - makes sense now that I've seen the FD.

NesMark - very different feel and tone from their fantastic POTC program last season - more mature and deliberate. It's a good vehicle for them as they make their push toward the JWC podium.

Peals - So, I have to admit, I was extremely inclined to dislike this program for a couple of reasons - 1) I'm not the biggest fan of the Peals in general because I think the lack of size difference between them is going to limit their future potential and 2) I've steadfastly avoided all things LOTR my entire life - never read the books, never watched even one of the movies, etc - because that's just a bridge too far into fantasy nerd-dom for me, lol. Having admitted this - I really enjoyed this program! It works remarkably well for them, the music is wonderful (can't wait for some LOTR fan to tell me what awful cuts they chose because that's the way we roll here at FSU, lol), and they're coming out of the gate this season with very strong material overall - look for them as a darkhorse to qualify for the JGPF and stand on the JWC podium next March!
I think Carhart is Malagueña and not Carmen? There is a recycled D/W lift though lol.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Junior International

Gover/Wilson French
Very yellow dress. Obviously Beauty and the Beast. Captured a waltz feel nicely. Got far apart in the steps. She looks quite cheery and he could add more emotion. Nice split from him during choreo steps! Looks like they had an invalid choreo element according to protocol.

Goodstadt/Bennet
Skating close together. They did a pretty good job of finishing the leg line. Everything quite credible. Think they could now work on adding more interpretation to the theme.

Bland/Sperry
He looks much older than last year. Dramatic style and nice departure from previous Middle Eastern program. I liked the way they performed the one-foot steps, digging into the turns and using the music and expressing it. They could extend their movement more and work on unison.

Carhart/Horovyi
Careful performance. There's a lovely fluidity to their movement and eventually they'll probably add a lot more intensity once they are more comfortable with the program. Could use a lot more speed.

Mullen/Mullen
Survivor cover homage to Z/G. Good amount of polish for this early in the season. Twizzles in the steps didn't look all that secure but actual twizzle sequence was fine. Lifts looked especially strong with good rhythm throughout.

Stanley/Sosnenko
Looked comfortable with their material. Steady and composed. Out of sync on twizzles. Nice final slinky lift.

Neset/Markelov
Twizzles timed right to the beat of the music. Great lean of the blade on the steps. Secure movement. Uber dramatic as is their style.

Peal/Peal
A bit slow at the beginning. Nice dance spin. Think they could express the mood changes in the music a bit more. OTOH, they look comfortable with their choreo and well-trained and ready to go but I think I want some folk dance or something that reflects the hobbity-theme, like mime :40beers: or something.

Wyliefan

@her grace, where did you see Goodstadt/Bennett? They're not at the link with the others. (As @Karen-W noted, Gover/Wilson French were posted twice, including in G/B's spot.)

ETA: Oh, just saw your post. Thanks!

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri

Ha, ha. As a LOTR fan, I would have liked to see some reference to the source material in the choreo, felt rather generic to me--so :rofl: that you like it and I think it's okay and could be so much more!

Mr. Grace, though, overheard the music and asked excitedly, "Is someone skating to that?" He seemed fine with the music cuts.

As far as their JGP Final chances, I think a lot will depend on if they can precisely hit their steps as low levels have kept them down in the past.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Jr NQS RD thoughts -

Pedersen/Chen - Jeffrey never ever looked as happy and joyful with Wolfkostin as he does with Yahli. He is a total star, but Yahli matches his energy! He looks like he is taking such care of her, which is a very different dynamic from his last partnership. Lots to get excited about with this new pairing!

Chen is skating with such freedom and Pedersen looked like an entirely different (less nervous) skater from Dallas Classic. And Wolfkostin looks great and at ease with her new partner, too. This is a really happy outcome to the W/C split with two strong new teams.

cygnus

Oh, I like that LOTR program for the Peals. Good idea to use hobbity music instead of just being EPIC EPIC EPIC all the way through. It works really well.

But someone needs to tell them, if they must touch the boards, just to touch them and not collapse into them. It breaks the flow.

(That reminds me, I need to go back and finish The Rings of Power. Even though I already had it spoiled for me by about five thousand Twitter users.)
I think LOTR is woefuly underused in skating. I know there were a few 20 years ago or so, but not much since, and the music is wonderful, and varied. Still waiting for an Eowyn freeskate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information