2023 Skate America Pairs SP - The Best Little Code Whorehouse in Texas

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
So pairs was interesting because honestly there wasn't any pair that really stood out to me as better than the others by a large margin. The free skate will be very interesting. Basically all the twists were right in front of us and Liu/Nagy were probably the best one.

The collision between Caldara and Fernanadez wasn't really anyone's fault per se. I thought their jump patterns would not get that close either. And Fernandez did immediately go check on her. But the blood spot kept getting bigger and I kind of wish the ref would have stopped and made them bandage it or something. But I guess it ended up alright for them

BrightSkates

Flop era commenced
Irma landed a jump right into Maximiliano. She looks shaken but hopefully not injured.
From Golden skate, a quote from Max-
"On the collision with the ltalian team: we didn't see them coming. But we got up, got the program done. Such things just happen.'

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Watching unspoiled.

Wow Martins/Bedard had a great throw and SBS spins. Undermarked.

Liu/Nagy. Nice smooth skating despite jump error. Can’t believe she held on to that throw jump. Wow, two reasonably decent US pairs. Not sure on 9 point difference on first pair, why.

P/M: unbelievable how much more watchable they are than him with Walsh. She’s fast and expressive.

Generic Italians.

Oof. Awful fall on throw for Brits. Still see nothing interesting there.

I have a soft spot for P/F but those jumps and throws are just awful. Judges didn’t like lift but I did.

Were H/K looking to join the RD 80s party? Fun program and they have the most speed of everyone.

All in all, fairly meh and typical of pairs comps these days.

Last edited:

once_upon

Better off than 2020
The title was amusing I think for Americans or theater buffs or movies...but I can see where the rest of the world would say What.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Watching unspoiled.

Wow Martins/Bedard had a great throw and SBS spins. Undermarked.

Liu/Nagy. Nice smooth skating despite jump error. Can’t believe she held on to that throw jump. Wow, two reasonably decent US pairs. Not sure on 9 point difference on first pair, why.

P/M: unbelievable how much more watchable they are than him with Walsh. She’s fast and expressive.

Generic Italians.

Oof. Awful fall on throw for Brits. Still see nothing interesting there.

I have a soft spot for P/F but those jumps and throws are just awful. Judges didn’t like lift but I did.

Were H/K looking to join the RD 80s party? Fun program and they have the most speed of everyone.

All in all, fairly meh and typical of pairs comps these days.
I'm in much agreement with you on this. Now I know it's hard enough with the jumps and for them to keep in sync with doing them. There were a lot of falls, and I'm just wondering about the ice. Maybe it was the angle of the cameras or the lighting in the arena. I'm not sure but the ice looked a little wet or soft when I was watching on E!. I noticed this especially during the Mens competition. It looked like little puddles of water out there.

I've seen this on occasion through the years that I've watched (the ice being wet with little puddles of water) Figure Skating. With some skaters, I think it messes up their programs. But with more experienced skaters, I don't think it presents as much of a problem of difficulty.

BrightSkates

Flop era commenced
I've seen this on occasion through the years that I've watched (the ice being wet with little puddles of water) Figure Skating. With some skaters, I think it messes up their programs. But with more experienced skaters, I don't think it presents as much of a problem of difficulty.
If there are puddles on the ice it means that the ice is pretty warm/soft and could deter timing and take off on jumps and speed going into them. I believe most skaters are used to skating on harder (colder) ice due to sharing the ice with hockey.

Rukia

Ok so I've skated on that area ice many times. It does get a little soft where the lights are, but it's not terrible. But honestly they usually have the best ice for figure skaters in all of the Dallas area. A lot of the places around here keep it really hard and cold for hockey, but our rinks typically have beautiful figure skating ice.

BrightSkates

Flop era commenced
Ok so I've skated on that area ice many times. It does get a little soft where the lights are, but it's not terrible. But honestly they usually have the best ice for figure skaters in all of the Dallas area. A lot of the places around here keep it really hard and cold for hockey, but our rinks typically have beautiful figure skating ice.
There's nothing wrong with soft ice, a lot of skaters actually prefer it. It's just a theory to why things can change and there were more falls- especially with nerves and maybe only 3-4 practices to get used to the ice.

Skaters like V/D, P/F, due to location where they live are probably used to hard ice.

Rukia

There's nothing wrong with soft ice, a lot of skaters actually prefer it. It's just a theory to why things can change and there were more falls- especially with nerves and maybe only 3-4 practices to get used to the ice.

Skaters like V/D, P/F, due to location where they live are probably used to hard ice.
No I know. I had to do some ice dance tests at a different arena and it felt so weird! Like I couldn't get into the ice enough. We all feel best with what we're used to haha.

Dobre

Thoughts:

First half-This is what a second season in a quadrennium is like. We have the new teams formed and building back up the depth in the pairs event.

Second half-Oh, yes. And this brings back last season;).

Actually, I enjoyed the SPs for this event. I haven't had time to follow all the disciplines during the junior & preseason so this is my first pairs event of the season.

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
HocKun funding sob-story from the NBC talking heads.
I cannot stand Andrea Joyce anymore. Also enjoyed the pairs. Love P/M from Canada and they are virtually tied with Germans who I thought were ok. I like the other German team more. Enjoyed L/N but she needs to stay with a partner. Still don't get why she split with Mit, must have been something personal.

Last edited:

BrightSkates

Flop era commenced
Another quote about the collision
"Irma Caldara/ Riccardo Maglio" 52.22
"After the collision with the American we just tried to focus get ourselves together. We are pretty happy with our skate today."
-golden skate

emason

Why would a Team Germany jacket say "Germany" and not "Deutschland"? (Stupid questions on a Friday night after a long work week.)
I’m just catching up on this thread now; my guess (and it’s just a guess) would be that an ISU event requires that one of the official ISU languages be used.

BrightSkates

Flop era commenced
I’m just catching up on this thread now; my guess (and it’s just a guess) would be that an ISU event requires that one of the official ISU languages be used.
What About Vaipan Law/Digby. Do they have GB or UK on their jackets?

Evanstonsktr

At the Pairs practice Saturday afternoon, Kunkel was wearing a team jacket that used "Deutschland". Fwiw.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
"Panties for Patrick" (Chan) spawned by some FSU peeps is surely up there too.
That would have been a short-lived one-off until PJ Kwong publicized and encouraged it.

There was an article in, IIRC, Sports Illustrated years ago about Dorothy Hamill after she and her husband bought Ice Capades in an attempt to revive it. The company showed up for a show in a rink that was frozen to ice hockey temperatures and the arena people refused to soften it. She said that figure skaters needed it soft enough to be able to dig their edges in it, and she refused to go on with the show until the ice was soft enough. And they changed their tune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information