2024 Canadian Championships Sr Men's SP - Wind chill expected to bottom out at -50

puglover

In a very tough sport, no longer dear to Canadians, it would seem, I am all for compassionate commentators. Roman was so amazing and Stephen had all his quads at such young ages but nobody would describe their adult male heights as ideal for a figure skater. Conrad clearly caved under the pressure and appears heartbroken. Now is the time to support them. Over the Christmas break I went and watched my 6 year old grandson play timbit hockey in a multi day tournament. This huge multi ice facility was packed - with parking issues every day and that was some large parking lot. Almost half the hockey players were girls. I worry for the future of figure skating in Canada. Three cheers for these young skaters, parents, and coaches that are trying to keep figure skating alive here.

jlai

Question everything
Oh, for Pete's sakes, guys (speaking of commentators here), you HAVE to be able to prepare to skate last. You HAVE to be able to skate well after hearing the previous skater get a great score. "How do you prepare for that?" Are they serious?

Oh my .... I'm just so depressed by the state of men's skating in Canada right now. But it is what it is. Wesley was wonderful, so there's that.
I think that’s exactly the problem. The skaters who cave are the ones who are used to skate under the shadow of a champion.
What happens when they don’t? Well we know the answer.

If one of gogolev/Roman is healthy perhaps they skate better and there was a shadow for the other guys to skate under.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
As posted on X (formerly Twitter) by Golden Skate about Stephen's health:

Following Stephen Gogolev’s laboured short program performance to “The Sound of Silence” by Distributed-Immortalized” in which he managed no successful triple or quadruple jumps, his coach Lee Barkell advised that the 2023 Autumn Classic bronze medalist is nursing a “flare up in his back” which started four days ago. Gogolev did not practice today and only landed doubles in the warm up. Barkell said they are assessing his health “minute by minute” and “the intention is to keep going” and “keep him in a good mindset.” He scored 53.80 in the SP and sits in 13th place. Gogolev is reportedly getting ongoing physiotherapy in Calgary.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
As far as I can see, there is no starting order up yet for the Sr. Men FS - I think they may be waiting to see if Stephen is going to skate which would reduce the field to 14 after yesterday's 2 withdrawals..

pat c

I think this is a championship where injuries among top skaters/teams + scandal with one male dancer + low audience attendance suck the air out of the competition
This and the temperature, with the windchill this morning in Calgary it'll be at least -40C. If I'm remembering correctly, ice temp for figure skating is better when the ice is softer.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
From the stream, the synchro skaters are getting plenty of noise, as are skaters and teams that are local. Gotta bring your own crowd with you this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information