2024 Canadian Championships Sr Women FS - Baby it's cold outside!!

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Kaiya is going to win this (or she should). I know she's going to Youth Olympics so the scheduling is tight but is there a senior international she can go to before worlds to get the TES minimums?
OMFG - I'm sorry but Skate Canada should have been planning to send her to 4CCs not the WYOG. F*cking shooting themselves in the a$$ every which way they can, they are.
She needs the SP, has the FS. I'm sure she'll be sent to 4CCs in the hopes she can get it.
Challenge Cup in late Feb is where most skaters are sent for Worlds TES mins.

honey

Something still needs to change. It’s not working and hasn’t been for some time. There have been more bright spots this season compared to last year, but essentially it’s the same outcome.

That said, for me still no question she has to go to worlds. I don’t think Kaiya would get out of the short program. And no one else here has demonstrated that they should going anywhere near worlds. So…it is what it is. If she skates well she can do reasonably well at worlds, thus she should go.

pat c

SC has dealt with this situation before. I'd think MS will go to worlds and 4c's as ruiter is going to youth olys. just my guess. HOw many women do we send to worlds?

Karen-W

FFS - Skate Canada really is stupid. Hetty Shi or Lulu Lin should have been tapped for WYOG not Kaiya. Their decision-making on so many of their international assignments is just batsh*t inexplicable.

Colonel Green

FFS - Skate Canada really is stupid. Hetty Shi or Lulu Lin should have been tapped for WYOG not Kaiya. Their decision-making on so many of their international assignments is just batsh*t inexplicable.
Lulu isn't eligible for the Youth Olympics; she's too young, like Kaiya was last time.

It's far from inexplicable. Youth Olympics is a bigger opportunity than 4CC, which happens every year.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Lin is too young and Shi doesn't have a reliable triple lutz which is the required jump in the short. They picked Ruiter has she had the highest international score of those age eligible which was basically what the selection criteria said. I'm sure this was a goal for Ruiter as she was too young to go in 2020, the year she won juniors.

Karen-W

Ruiter has been to four senior internationals and has yet to get the short program TES minimums. It's not like she hasn't had a lot of chances.
I don't disagree, but I also feel like Skate Canada has been sort of tepid in its support of her move to seniors. It really feels like they want her to stay in juniors as long as possible to keep earning extra spots. That's got to mess with your head at some level. Also, Scott Davis & team really should have had her go to a minor, low pressure senior B like Cranberry or Kings Cup to get her TES mins.

kylet3

I think the most likely scenario here is that Schizas probably still goes to worlds. She's had by far the most consistent season and has the minimums. Send Ruiter to the Youth Olympics and Junior Worlds. Like others say, I suspect Ruiter would struggle to get out of the short if she somehow did get the worlds minimums and to Montreal.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I think the most likely scenario here is that Schizas probably still goes to worlds. She's had by far the most consistent season and has the minimums. Send Ruiter to the Youth Olympics and Junior Worlds. Like others say, I suspect Ruiter would struggle to get out of the short if she somehow did get the worlds minimums and to Montreal.
Fond as I am of Kaiya, I expect you're right.

Karen-W

Sometimes what seems inexplicable actually has some rationale/rules behind it :D
It actually IS still inexplicable. That's the sort of rationale that would have the USFS sending Ilia, Isabeau & Ava Marie to Jr Worlds even though they have been competing exclusively as seniors this season and last.

kylet3

Fond as I am of Kaiya, I expect you're right.
I like Kaiya too, but Maddie I think is still our strongest overall skater. Kaiya tends to struggle with the short and as danafan mentioned, she's had ample opportunity to try and get the minimums and hasn't. I think Maddie still likely goes. Maddie you could tell in the KnC was not happy and she knows this was her worst effort of the season, hopefully this will light a fire under her because she has all the skill to be in the top 10.

Colonel Green

Also, Scott Davis & team really should have had her go to a minor, low pressure senior B like Cranberry or Kings Cup to get her TES mins.
She did go to Cranberry. Was on the podium, in fact.
It actually IS still inexplicable. That's the sort of rationale that would have the USFS sending Ilia, Isabeau & Ava Marie to Jr Worlds even though they have been competing exclusively as seniors this season and last.
It's not, because Junior Worlds is another annual event. Kaiya wanted to go to Youth Olympics, it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

fsfann

Thinking a skate off makes sense. Is it too late for Ruiter to drop the youth Olympic Games? Schizas has not really had a stellar year, but I agree she has been stronger than Ruiter…

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Thinking a skate off makes sense. Is it too late for Ruiter to drop the youth Olympic Games? Schizas has not really had a stellar year, but I agree she has been stronger than Ruiter…
I mean I doubt that Ruiter would want to drop the Youth Olympics. Miclette is the first alternate. They are probably leaving for Korea very soon.

Sally1214

The only woman I got to see skate (after Euros dance finished) was Maddie ... and it was not good. From reading your posts, it appears Kaiya had some issues too but was better than Maddie. And, you say Kaiya doesn't have the TES minimums for the SP.

Good heavens, what HAS happened to figure skating in Canada? It's a very sad situation right now. I think we are pretty good in dance (and there's hope for that to continue into the future). Pairs? Don't know about that. Ladies: scary situation. Men: Terrible inconsistency in that discipline. Best of luck to Wesley (and everyone else tonight) though. I always wish them the best but I've reached the point where I have ZERO expectations.

I've watched skating since the days of Toller and have seen and cheered on so many Canadian "greats" in all the disciplines over the decades but we are at a very low point right now. No TV coverage and just the hardcore fans (that would be us) watching livestreaming from a nearly empty arena. I love this sport and all of this makes me very sad.

I won't be watching the dance, pairs or men live tonight as I won't be home but I'll catch up on the videos tomorrow. As I said, GOOD LUCK to all the competitors. Maybe there will be some really pleasant surprises. There is ALWAYS hope. :)

fsfann

I mean I doubt that Ruiter would want to drop the Youth Olympics. Miclette is the first alternate. They are probably leaving for Korea very soon.
That certainly would take the pressure off Skate Canada if she chooses to stick with the youth Olympics!

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Final standings!

1 Kaiya Ruiter AB/NT/NU 58.25 122.61 180.86 (2) (1)
2 Madeline Schizas ON 63.63 109.27 172.90 (1) (3)
3 Hetty Shi ON 52.31 110.20 162.51 (6) (2)
4 Uliana Shiryaeva BC/YK 53.20 106.09 159.29 (5) (5)
5 Fée-Ann Landry QC 51.05 106.64 157.69 (7) (4)
6 Sara-Maude Dupuis QC 57.87 99.77 157.64 (3) (7)
7 Audréanne Foster QC 53.22 98.99 152.21 (4) (9)
8 Justine Miclette QC 50.75 99.63 150.38 (8) (8)
9 Rose Théroux QC 49.07 100.17 149.24 (11) (6)
10 Marie-Maude Pomerleau QC 50.55 97.51 148.06 (9) (10)
11 Marie-France D'Amour QC 49.60 92.80 142.40 (10) (13)
12 Cristina Lyons ON 48.56 88.90 137.46 (12) (14)
13 Katherine Medland Spence ON 41.71 94.03 135.74 (16) (11)
14 Nour-Houda Foura QC 47.58 86.15 133.73 (13) (15)
15 Natalie Roccatani ON 39.61 93.67 133.28 (17) (12)
16 Fiona Bombardier ON 44.91 77.46 122.37 (14) (17)
17 Julianne Lussier QC 35.29 80.80 116.09 (18) (16)
18 Breken Brezden MB 44.76 68.47 113.23

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
OMG OMG OMG! KAIYA WON!!!! 🥳 🎉 💥
Now let’s get her to Four Cs to get the World minimums.

Schizas 3rd in the FP? Kaiya & Hetty 1-2 in FP? Hmmm…

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information