2022 U.S. Sectionals, Pairs & Ice Dance Finals - Nov 7-13 in Norwood MA, East Lansing MI, & San Francisco CA

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Last Jr pairs group!

Delis/Schwab - he sort of reminds me of John Baldwin Jr (except he has hair) and that's not really a compliment. "Paint It Black" in black costumes no less. Okay twist. They don't really seem comfortable with each other on the ice. Okay lift. Throw double - she wobbled on the landing but stayed up, no hand down. Really, Great Parks - can you get a spin coach to work with your pairs teams? Color me unimpressed. Oh, wait, black is the absence of color. Seems appropriate for this team after all.

Martins/Felberbaum - "Pink Panther" - they appear to be skating through their first element? And their next element? I'm presuming there must be some sort of injury and they're skating just to be able to go to Nationals because they've skated through pretty much every pairs element. Hey, look, a step sequence! Well, I hope whatever is going on, they're healed by San Jose.

Murray/Gillette - "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" - nice twist to open; SBS 2As - he was practically out of the frame, but I think they both did 2As. Nice throw double. Meh death spiral; and don't get me started on their SBS spins - he spins slower than she does and it's really noticeable. Lift was fine. Lame commitment to choreo.

Last edited:

Amy L

I had to pause the stream for like half an hour and I tried to fast forward through the marks and warm-ups to catch up before the Cock kicked me off. I only got to the end of Martins/Felberbaum when it stopped and recommended that I move on to some sportsball something or other next. :mad:

Karen-W

I had to pause the stream for like half an hour and I tried to fast forward through the marks and warm-ups to catch up before the Cock kicked me off. I only got to the end of Martins/Felberbaum when it stopped and recommended that I move on to some sportsball something or other next. :mad:
Aw, I'm sorry!

I don't see Murray/Gillette beating Smith/Deng or Williams/Lewer at Nationals, but they were okay. I'm not sure if they're still young enough for juniors internationally next season, but if they are, I expect they'll get at least one JGP assignment. Assuming the US has a team on the podium at Jr Worlds, we'll have 3 spots for each of the JGPs, so 6 teams total could get sent out (if we have 6 teams to send, that is).

Sylvia

TBD
Junior Pairs SP protocols: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2022/32047/SEGM016.html

Murray/Gillette (in 3rd, coached by Rockne Brubaker/Stefania Berton) have improved noticeably since Nationals last year! Just saw they were added to the ISP, which must have been recent.

Easterns Novice Women SP scores are not being updated "due to technical difficulty": https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2022/30614/CAT011SEG003.html
First time I've seen Alysa Zhang who's in 1st (landed 2A, 3Lz-called 'q', 3T+2T) before the scores stopped being updated.

ETA that all scores are now updated - protocols: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2022/30614/SEGM003.html

Last edited:

Amy L

I thought Lewer would have a tougher time getting assignments since he switched from Australia, but it looks like he'll do okay in that regard!

Sylvia

TBD
MIDS Senior Women SP is underway: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2022/32047/CAT013SEG008.html

Currently in ISP:
5 Maryn Pierce, Broadmoor SC
9 Sonja Hilmer, Centennial SC
14 Wren Warne-Jacobsen, Go4Gold Shakopee Skating Academy
15 Elsa Cheng, Skokie Valley SC
(Hannah Lofton & Finley Hawk both must have WD from Mids before the SP was drawn. :( Paige Rydberg is still listed in the ISP but did not compete in a NQS comp.)

Other notables include:
2 Audrey Meredith, Skokie Valley SC (previously in ISP as a junior)
4 Isabelle Inthisone, Wisconsin FSC (competed in 2 JGPs in 2019, 4th in Egna)
8 Alexa Gasparotto, Arctic FSC
10 Emilia Murdock, Broadmoor SC (competed at the 2019 JGP in Lake Placid)
12 Alyssa Rich, Dallas FSC
16 Julia Biechler, Broadmoor SC

ETA that Novice Pattern Dances (Westminster Waltz & Argentine Tango) will be the final event at Easterns today: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/watch/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
So the first two here go on to Nationals, right?
Yes, plus the next 3 highest total scores - below the top 2 - from the 3 Sectionals (I've heard unofficially that Karen will not use her automatic bye to Nationals): https://www.usfigureskating.org/sites/default/files/media-files/SanJose_PreAnnouncement.pdf

Lindsay Thorngren, Robert Yampolsky and Baram/Tioumentsev (latter have byes due to having qualified for the JGP Final) have elected to compete at Easterns/Pairs Final and the singles skaters "will advance regardless of [their] placement and will not displace a qualifier from [their] section to the U.S. Championships."

ETA - Sonja Hilmer scored 53 and is in 1st after 2 groups - 2S(oops)+3T(<?), 3Lo (landing a bit off balance), cool rotating knee slides up into 2A, great energy in 2nd half to "Fighter" and ends with reverse (clockwise for her) spin. Eddie Shipstad is with her here. I SO want to see this program at Nationals!

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Very much Enjoyed top 3 so far:

Sonja Hilmer…unusually lovely spins both ways
Maryn Pierce…emotes beautifully
Alexa Gasparotto…fab Spanish outfit - agreed!

Karen-W

Sarah

I really liked Alexa Gasparotto! She had great energy. I loved her performance AND how she held her final pose. Can she tell her fellow competitors to hold their ending positions?

Karen-W

For here for now. I haven't decided whether or not to venture into that thread just yet. :p
Probably don't want to, if you wish to keep your sanity. But, it's good to know that the USFS plans on filling up the field with the 3 highest scorers should Karen not use her bye.

Sylvia

TBD
I really enjoyed Milly Murdock's West Side Story, both performance-wise and how the music was edited! This article was published early last month:

Sylvia

TBD
Alyssa Rich goes into 1st place (3Lz+2T, 3F fell out, 2A) - she must be a REALLY BIG Whitney Houston fan :D because she kept her SP to "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" for 2 seasons in 2019-20 (when she made Nationals in senior) & 2020-21 and is skating this season to "I Will Always Love You."

Sylvia

TBD
Wren Warne-Jacobsen goes into 1st with 55.05 (3Lo, 3T+2T, 2A) - her Beatles SP medley (Golden Slumbers/Carry that Weight/The End) was choreographed by Alex Johnson.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

I truly-truly enjoyed the elements & overall vivacious look of Wren W-J, who just skated & jumped to first!

Karen-W

Wren Warne-Jacobsen goes into 1st with 55.05 (3Lo, 3T+2T, 2A) - her Beatles SP medley (Golden Slumbers/Carry that Weight/The End), was choreographed by Alex Johnson.
Wren's dress looked like she could be a cheerleader for the Vegas Golden Knights while moonlighting as a show girl at a show on The Strip. Don't get me wrong - I loved it, but yeah...

Sylvia

TBD
First triple-triple attempt of this event was landed by Elsa Cheng in her Piazzolla Tango SP: 3T+3T, 2A & 3Lz - into 1st with 60.89!
Her coaches are Denise Myers and Jeremy Allen.

Frau Muller

Brooke Gewalt. Sounds like a 1950s English-movie Carmen…Carmen Jones?

Sylvia

TBD
Senior Women SP protocols: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2022/32047/SEGM008.html

Final event from today at Mids starting now on Peacock (2 groups of 2 & 3) - all teams will qualify for Nationals:
Senior Pairs [SP] - https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2022/32047/CAT015SEG004.html
Start Name
1 Laiken Lockley, DuPage FSC / Edoardo Caputo, DuPage FSC
2 Nina Ouellette, SC of San Francisco / Rique Newby-Estrella, Dallas FSC
3 Linzy Fitzpatrick, Detroit SC / Keyton Bearinger, Detroit SC
4 Grace Hanns, Broadmoor SC / Danny Neudecker, Seattle SC
5 Sonia Baram, Los Angeles FSC / Daniel Tioumentsev, Dallas FSC
ICYMI, Mark Sadusky's Instagram post last week about his and Nica Digerness' WD from this event "due to injuries": https://www.instagram.com/p/Cke7DTmrGJj/

Last edited:

Karen-W

Whew! Made it back in time from a quick shower between the Sr Women and Sr Pairs!

Karen-W

Lockley/Caputo - light double twist to open, step out/turn out on their SBS jumps - probably an UR for him; and they just skated through their lift. Nice throw triple though! Beautiful positions from both on the death spiral. I have to say, this is probably the best partner match Laiken has had. I'm not sure they'll get the minimum TES with not attempting a lift. Per the US Pairs discussion thread - TES mins are 22/40 for senior teams to qualify for Nationals.

ETA - jazzy cover of "Toxic" - I don't think it was PMB though.

ETA2 - per @Amy L, it was. Ooops, lol. It's been awhile since I listened to PMB.

ETA3 - I rewound the stream to check their TES - no, they didn't get it, only 19.24 :(

Last edited:

Amy L

Getting my husband out the door for a graveyard shift has got to be worse than getting a kid to school in the morning :lol: I missed almost all of Lockley/Caputo, but I could hear they used the Postmodern Jukebox version of Toxic.

Karen-W

Ouellette/Newby-Estrella - her minty green, sparkly dress is so pretty. Airy double twist, he fell on their SBS jumps. His costume/workout gear does him no favors - makes him look hefty. Nice throw! Lift is slow, but okay-ish. It wasn't SCARY, but just... there. They're kind of bland and need to develop some personality. I suppose that will come with time since I know they're both new to pairs. Off on their SBS spins - they shouldn't end on that element, I don't think. Good thing they already have the TES mins from John Nicks Pairs Challenge.

Karen-W

Fitzpatrick/Bearinger - Jim Peterson's other senior team. Nice double twist, and really nice SBS 2As! And she's down on the throw. Good lift though. Really lovely synch to begin their step sequence apart. They have a really good line and match nicely as a pair. As always... Need more time to gel, but they're in good hands with Peterson & Evora. Hopefully that will be enough to get them the SP TES min they need for Nationals.

ETA - yes, they got it easily!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information