Euros 2024 Men FS: "We Want More Clean As a Whistle"

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
A little worried about Fa. And, he doesn`t look so happy either. I thought (and him too) that this might be the year for him on the worlds podium. Malanin is probably for sure if he does what he usually does technically. But, the Japanese boys will smell blood in the water. Fa won`t get there with the stumbles and doubled out bits from tonight. I mean it`s hard to believe but there are so many very strong men skaters now.
They're all vulnerable, though. Malinin's insane layouts inevitably backfire on him from time to time (usually at big competitions, in fact), Yuma has been inconsistent this season as he works his way up to his pre-injury form, and the judges, well, technical committees have been judging Shoma with their eyes open for the first time in 7 years this season. Adam peaked early and is looking beatable now.

I predict a messy Worlds (but hope for clean Kagi of course).

Last edited:

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
They're all vulnerable, though. Malinin's insane layouts inevitably backfire on him from time to time (usually at big competitions, in fact), Yuma has been inconsistent this season as he works his way up to his pre-injury form, and the judges have been judging Shoma with their eyes open for the first time in 7 years this season. Adam peaked early and is looking beatable now.

I predict a messy Worlds (but hope for clean Kagi of course).
I was going to say maybe everyone will be a mess and Kagiyama will walk through that door and come out on top lol

Sally1214

little worried about Fa. And, he doesn`t look so happy either. I bthought (and him too) that this might be the year for him on the worlds podium. Malanin is probably for sure if he does what he usually does technically. But, the Japanese boys will smell blood in the water. Fa won`t get there with the stumbles and doubled out bits from tonight. I mean it`s hard to believe but there are so many very strong men skaters now.
I agree with your thoughts. Adam seemed super nervous at the start of both skates here but probably moreso tonight. He definitely has some work to do to get more confident before Worlds. I also thought (and still hope) that he would be on the podium in Montreal; but, like you said, performances like he did here will not be enough (if others skate their best). And, as for the backflip ... I kind of liked it but then I kind of didn't too. It's an illegal move .... it could cost him.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
It is no consolation for losing a medal, but Britschi is one of the six who will get some cash:
1Adam SIAO HIM FA
FRA.GIF
FRA
2Aleksandr SELEVKO
EST.GIF
EST
3Matteo RIZZO
ITA.GIF
ITA
4Gabriele FRANGIPANI
ITA.GIF
ITA
5Lukas BRITSCHGI
SUI.GIF
SUI
6Deniss VASILJEVS
LAT.GIF
LAT
Even Vasiljevs will be able to buy a few rounds of drinks tonight plus Lambiel's ticket home.

dupa

Home Sweet Home
Yes, but see, there are two interesting options here:

1. he wins a competition despite a backflip, and we all gasp at his audacity, oh the drama.
2. he narrowly loses a competition because of the backflip, cue even more drama, oh how the proud have fallen, etc.

Either way, I win.
The Frenchie tried the back flip trick back in the day. I'm old and can't remember her name but she even landed it on one foot which was a requirement to qualify as being a legit jump. It was a huge F-You to the judges but I will always love her for it. The judges were pissed and she was soooooo done

Edited to add Surya Bonaly

Last edited:

Kateri

void beast
The Frenchie tried the back flip trick back in the day. I'm old and can't remember her name but she even landed it on one foot which was a requirement to qualify as being a legit jump. It was a huge F-You to the judges but I will always love her for it. The judges were pissed and she was soooooo done
Surya Bonaly.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Surya Bonaly 1998 Nagano Olympics.

If they do decide to allow it I think it should be landed on one foot. Bonaly or nothing.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
No, that was something people argued should make it a jump and not illegal but it was still counted as an illegal element.

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
I know what you mean, but he didn’t need to skate his best tonight, good to save something for worlds rather than peak early! I hope he can at least get a medal at Worlds.
My fear is he did too many early competitions/Challengers series and his peak was during the Grand Prix. I would love for him to prove me wrong, but the Japanese men are 🔥 🔥 right now and Ilia wants that gold. Badly. I think Worlds men's is going to either be one for the ages or a :yikes: previously only known by pairs. I think Frangipani is peaking at the right now and Selevko the Elder now has to be in the conversation. Maybe even Cha, if he pulls himself together at 4CC.

Evgeniafan

dupa

Home Sweet Home
Just like the Ruskie ice dancers using the costume straps to fling the chick around on the lifts because the dude had a bum knee and could only skate on one foot. I'm just saying:)

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Yes, but good for her for challenging that rule, right?
Not particularly. Back flips are dangerous. If you mess up a backflip, you can break your neck. This is not true of all the other acrobatic moves that the ISU has let in as "choreography". I'd rather not see a bunch of acrobatics on ice but at least cartwheels and handovers don't risk dying.

Asli

Not particularly. Back flips are dangerous. If you mess up a backflip, you can break your neck. This is not true of all the other acrobatic moves that the ISU has let in as "choreography". I'd rather not see a bunch of acrobatics on ice but at least cartwheels and handovers don't risk dying.
Exactly!

Surya Bonaly trained as a gymnast before starting to skate at the relatively late age of 12. She was world junior tumbling champion and world senior tumbling silver medalist with the French team (although at that time this sport wasn't very competitive.) The level of risk wouldn't be the same for other skaters.

Plus the back flip has nothing to do with skating or the ice. The ISU is right to ban the move IMO.

The cartwheels look extremely stupid and disrupt the choreography :rolleyes: but at least they're not dangerous.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Hi, there, let me introduce you to the disciplines known as Pairs and Ice Dance... There are plenty of lifts that are dangerous enough to break a neck or close to it. Why are we okay with those elements but not allowing a singles skater to do a backflip?

rfisher

Let the skating begin
My uninformed guess is that the skaters who can do a backflip think it might give them a scoring advantage similar to a quad.

The problem with doing it in competition, knowing it's an illegal move, doesn't really move the sport forward. It comes off as arrogant and can become a problem with the judges. Ask Medvedeva when she showed off an illegal move at her last world title. It apparently annoyed the judges and really annoyed her coaches. She was the only one who thought it was funny. But, I have no problem with skaters/coaches petitioning for a rule change if that's what they want to do. The skaters who can do them already do them in shows so doing it in competition is no more or less dangerous. Some pair teams essentially have the woman do an assisted backflip on lift dismounts.

Baby Yoda On Skates

I had forgotten about Medvedeva's illegal triple until Jackie Wong brought it up on Xitter and equated Adam's backflip to Surya's FU. He was penalized per the rules and frankly if the ISU wants to deter illegal moves, they can come up with bigger penalties. I'm not a fan of acrobatics or cartwheels on the ice, but it definitely got people talking. And I like backflips better than getting into the judges' faces at the boards. I'd rather ban that forever.

Evgeniafan

My uninformed guess is that the skaters who can do a backflip think it might give them a scoring advantage similar to a quad.

The problem with doing it in competition, knowing it's an illegal move, doesn't really move the sport forward. It comes off as arrogant and can become a problem with the judges. Ask Medvedeva when she showed off an illegal move at her last world title. It apparently annoyed the judges and really annoyed her coaches. She was the only one who thought it was funny. But, I have no problem with skaters/coaches petitioning for a rule change if that's what they want to do. The skaters who can do them already do them in shows so doing it in competition is no more or less dangerous. Some pair teams essentially have the woman do an assisted backflip on lift dismounts.
Evgenia did it at Russian Nationals and she was told not to do it at Europeans. As her fan, I didn't like her doing it even at Nationals, its not appropriate. And Adam may have had a big lead, but he didn't have the cleanest skate and the back flip looked out of place.

skatfan

Artistic gymnasts risk way more injury when they compete (twisting backflips, rotating on high bars, launching themselves into the air on vaults. It’s way more popular too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information