Grand Prix De France 2023 - Ladies SP “Don’t Rain on my Blah Skate”

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
It's still crazy to me how some skaters get treated very generously by tech panels. I still go back to 2016 Worlds where the panel for ladies was reviewing everyone left and right, but then got to Medvedeva and did exactly ZERO reviews. Then the technical controller watched the replay on the Jumbotron of Med's giant flutz and didn't even flinch.

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
I thought the rotations and the entrance edges looked ok. Choreography was on a different level to Gubanova. Five point lead seems about right. The judges did give a warning edge on the lutz. It was hard to tell.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Repond with a full 'e' call on her flip which is rare to see in protocols these days. Meanwhile, Higuchi has no trace of a flip at all and she gets zero call. This time it didn't mean anything because the double made it worth 0, but she and Sakamoto are constantly getting away with their jump edge issues while others always get everything super-analyzed.

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
I was fully aligned with the judges except for Repond. But seeing the “e” call makes it make sense. I do think it was a harsh call, though.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Guba was really lowballed on PCS, she’s in Isabeau’s and Lee’s category, not Niina’s.
She always is. She's not fast and never has been. Her best quality is her upper body, arms and carriage.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
pinzaronne. Really nice to see a good skate.

repond. What a shame, she’s been doing so well. Don’t think I’m a fan of the blonde.

Gubanova I like the outfit, program seemed solid

Lee. One of my favorites, shame about the UR

Levito great score, but she seemed even slower in the short program to me than at skate America. so confident

mtnskater

Watched on the Peacock replay, which thankfully it provides for the Grand Prix this year 🙏

Wakaba has a double axel on the level with Kaori. Amazing. Nerves got the best of her, but great to see her power skating and intense expression back. Her intense expression is a stand out among the Japanese women.

Nina Pinzarrone impressive debut. Nice all around skater. Lots to like.

Mone Chiba is having a rough Grand Prix. So little time to regroup after Skate America. I feel like she could be one of my favorite Japanese ladies because of her lovely artistry and spin positions if she could deliver consistent performances.

Repond seems like she has to control so much arms and legs, don’t know how she does it. Looks taller this year. Rough outing for her unfortunately because I have the impression she is usually quite consistent.

Gubanova’s program was very enjoyable and delivered like a mature woman. Her jump take off arm positions are distracting and she is weaker in spins and skating skills. I do like her skating and always enjoy watching her mainly due to her presentation.

Overall loved Haien Lee’s sophisticated program. Music we’ve never seen skated to. Yes! Plus classical. Yes! I could do without the in your face judges ending. Did all the choreographers conspire to bombard us with in your face judges moves this season???? Also I feel like Haien Lee is the queen of mega flailing arms in the footwork. Surprised Lori didn’t tamp that down. I find it not aesthetic or musical and is one of my pet peeves. Under rotations frequently get Haien.

Isabeau improved her spin levels here from Skate America thankfully. The program was delivered without the nerves that were more apparent at Skate America. I really enjoyed her performance. Glad the judges did too! She only had a week to train at home before coming to France so I was not expecting major differences. She and Gubanova are the two performances I plan to watch again from the short.

ChillSkate

lol that was my thought when I heard the announcer

Also, he said that wakaba did her own vocals in the short program… I have that track. No, it’s not.
Yes - this! I rewound like 10 times to see if I heard Mark correctly. At first, I was like - "wow, Wakaba is an incredible singer and doesn't sound Japanese at all when she sings." Then I was like "wait a minute, Mark! No way is this Wakaba singing."

Really don't know what he was talking about. Maybe he got confused and Wakaba will sing in her Long Program?

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Yes - this! I rewound like 10 times to see if I heard Mark correctly. At first, I was like - "wow, Wakaba is an incredible singer and doesn't sound Japanese at all when she sings." Then I was like "wait a minute, Mark! No way is this Wakaba singing."

Really don't know what he was talking about. Maybe he got confused and Wakaba will sing in her Long Program?
Well he said it uses her voice, so I was assuming it was a Taschlers like voiceover at the beginning or something. But there wasn't any of that either.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I have to say, in all things, admire commitment to the bit. Even if I don't like the bit. And Isabeau's short program absolutely demonstrates commitment to the bit.

I will say, I can't believe Evan Lysacek's Olympic free skate costume has been eclipsed in terms of "weird attached snake," but I kind of think it has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information