2023 NHK Trophy Womens FS - You Only Flutz Twice

Tak

Unexpected injuries reduced NHK rating hopes to ashes.
Injuries to Miura/ Kihara (lumbar injury) and Mai Mihara (right ankle) were both really unfortunate.
However, congratulations to the podium finishers, Ava Marie Ziegler, Lindsay Thorngren and Nina Pinzarrone.
I did not expect Ava Marie to act as "spoiler" for the GPF qualifying, I thought that Mai might fill that role.
As I understand it, the GPF showdown in Shanghai will be between Sakamoto, Hendrickx, Levito, Yoshida, Pinzarrone and Sumiyoshi, 3 from Japan, 2 from Belgium and 1 from USA.
Good luck to all qualifiers.

jlai

Question everything
Well, she had 1.5 good comps last season. She rather fell apart in the FS at SCI 2022. But, I find her supremely enjoyable and would love to see her do well at Nats.

Of the US women, I feel like Ava Marie, Lindsay and Isabeau are a cut above the rest of the field. Lindsay is finding her consistency again and, like I said after SCI, her scores are rising as a result. I want to see Isabeau pushed to be better and these two are showing they've got the goods to do it.

The victory ceremony had me tearing up. I honestly wish we could give our women the 3rd men's spot we've got at Worlds.
Ava got 60 tes in that Sci and for a newbie that was respectable

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
you know I’m right here. You can atleast wait till I go to bed, which is now.
Listen, I realize your girl, technically, has the ability to be competitive with the other 3, but the difference is these 3 are all just 17 and in only their second GP seasons. Let's face it, it took your girl how many seasons on the GP to medal?

I'm not 100% convinced of Ava Marie's mental toughness yet, but cracking 200 on the GP and winning goes a long way in my book. And I'm really impressed with how Lindsay has battled back from a really disappointing senior debut season and her growth spurt to show a huge amount of consistency across the 4 comps she's done so far (Charleston Open NQS, Cranberry Cup, SCI and NHK) - and that's also while dealing with a back injury. That takes a lot of confidence and mental strength. For me, I can't help but feel they're much further along that path than Amber and it makes all the difference.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Ava got 60 tes in that Sci and for a newbie that was respectable
Yes and a newbie that didn't exactly set the world on fire as a junior. I think Ava's results have been respectable. Not everyone rolls onto the senior level and medals at all their events.

SkateFanBerlin

Big step for Lindsay. Steadily improving over the season. What got me excited for her yesterday was her GOE. Almost all + but a big sign was that they were mostly over 1. Today the 3-3 looked solid. The GOE wasn`t as high - probably rushing a bit, dropping some of the nuances. What`s with the time? Shorten her music a couple seconds so if she goes over, no deduction.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Big step for Lindsay. Steadily improving over the season. What got me excited for her yesterday was her GOE. Almost all + but a big sign was that they were mostly over 1. Today the 3-3 looked solid. The GOE wasn`t as high - probably rushing a bit, dropping some of the nuances. What`s with the time? Shorten her music a couple seconds so if she goes over, no deduction.
She finished behind the music both yesterday and today, IIRC, so I don't think the issue is the music length but her keeping pace with it on her last couple elements.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
A friend just called to tell me the result. WOWEE!!! 🇺🇸 🇺🇸
Two - TWO - US women take the top two medals! Amazing…as if I’m back in the 1990s, at least. A friend taped/DVD’d it, so I’ll watch.

I’m not only thrilled with Ava and Lindsay, but also of Ava’s new coach, Larissa Selezneva, who was such a hero of mine back in the 80s!!! (Both Seleznena & Makarov, of the USSR.)

SkateFanBerlin

She finished behind the music both yesterday and today, IIRC, so I don't think the issue is the music length but her keeping pace with it on her last couple elements.
No, I don`t think it`s the music length either. Just suggesting a work around to reduce possibility of an over. Sure, it`s better if she can fit things into the current tracks.

Tak

With the conclusion of the NHK, the final GPS event, one aspect of GPS bothers me.
Ava Marie Ziegler (15 points) and Rino Matsuike (11 points) had only one event assigned, so they had no chance to make it to GPF. Edited to Add: Ziegler was added after Nicole Schott withdrew, and Matsuike was added when Rika Kihira withdrew. Also, Yuna Aoki who got "Up and Comers" slot in NHK did come 5th and scored 7 points.
Is there some changes necessary in GPS qualification rules to allow more competitors in GPS, or to keep out non-competitive ones?
In Matsuike's case, when Mai Mihara withdrew from Cup of China, too late for any replacement, some skating fans in Japan were quite upset. Although, as I understand it, China, as host nation, has the final say in selection of any replacement skater.

Last edited:

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
What a great event for the Americans! Zeigler sure made the most of this opportunity (wish USFS had given her SA, too). Thorngren held it together and has become a more interesting skater artistically this season.

Listen, I realize your girl [Glenn], technically, has the ability to be competitive with the other 3, but the difference is these 3 are all just 17 and in only their second GP seasons. Let's face it, it took your girl how many seasons on the GP to medal?
You know that's not an apples to apples comparison. In Glenn's second season, she was competing against Russians. In her second season, if you remove the Russians' results, Glenn also medals at the 2019 Cup of China.

1Anna SHCHERBAKOVA
RUS.GIF
RUS
2Satoko MIYAHARA
JPN.GIF
JPN
3Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA
RUS.GIF
RUS
4Young YOU
KOR.GIF
KOR
5Sofia SAMODUROVA
RUS.GIF
RUS
6Amber GLENN
USA.GIF
USA

And speaking of the Russians' absence, along with the Korean ladies' struggles, it's about time the U.S. took advantage and won some medals!

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I doubt it - Mai Mihara was supposed to be the female headliner along with the pairs, who are also injured, and Uno & Kagiyama. I'm sure NHK thought they had a great field when the entries were announced.
But this was a comeback skate for Mai after an injury serious enough to force a WD not long ago. I love her and I love her programs -- that free program is delightful -- but she wasn't ready for that kind of pressure.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Whoa. I watched unspoiled and I’m so thrilled with that result!

Three 17 year olds putting their elders on notice they’re not going to wait around. So :wall: about the two American slots at Worlds.

They look so cute together.

Hard to imagine a Japanese GP without Japanese medalists. Although Aoki was a lovely surprise, hope to see more of her.

Colonel Green

Day after viewing:

🇳🇱 Van Zundert - UR city. Not a ton of performance, but even if she was emoting more it'd be hard not to be distracted by how effortful the jumps look (and how painful the falls look).

🇯🇵 Higuchi - Amber Glenn-ing it, though I doubt this time it ends with her making the podium. Her reaction to falling on the choreo sequence was hilarious.

🇬🇪 Gubanova - the best she's looked so far this season on the jumps, but her spins are aggressively terrible now (she somehow got positive GOE on the combination spin?). Those back problems must be chronic.

🇫🇷 Serna - step back from Angers, but I really enjoy her jumps when they work.

🇯🇵 Aoki - :cheer: man, so many countries wish for even one skater like this and she's on Japan's C-team. Great spins and steps. Should have been ahead of Gubanova in the free.

🇰🇷 Kim - I'm sure she is malade based on how this season has gone so far, even if she's challenging Brooke McIntosh in terms of facial inexpressiveness while skating to this music this season. Wow, she should have gotten positive GOE on that opening combination for managing to not fall on it. Overall an improved free skate, so I guess try to build on this.

🇰🇷 Wi - has looked overall improved at this event, but this was obviously a bit of a disappointment.

🇺🇸 Ziegler - those jumps are so exciting. Great performance.

🇯🇵 Mihara - I understand her wanting to make it to the home Grand Prix, but on the evidence of this I'm not sure she really helped herself here, especially with Japanese nationals so close at hand.

🇰🇷 Lee - alright, South Korea's last hope. Performance has some UR issues, but this is trending in the right direction. Oh dear, she might be fourth yet again?

🇧🇪 Pinzarrone - the Golden Age of Belgian women's skating continues. The way the tech scores are trending, she might indeed be able to challenge Loena like she's hoping.

🇺🇸 Thorngren - I'm not overly convinced by her, to be honest, but she did well here. Not enough to lead; not sure anybody at this event will make the Final? Have to check after watching pairs.

sk9tingfan

She would have won without those time deductions. :(

Last edited:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
It’s the choreographers job to make sure all the elements can fit in 3:55, allowing for the skaters to recover from a fall and allowing for the time to exit the final spin and establish the ending pose if a spin is the last element. Lindsay does not have one second of wiggle room in either program.

Wyliefan

I am begging thorngren to move her face in any possible way while skating she gives absolutely nothing
I hate Twilight, but even I was going "Sell it, sell it, sell it!" while she skated that. You can redeem even a Twilight program if you sell the living daylights out of it (witness Kostornaia). Unfortunately, I don't think Lindsay heard me.

Baby Yoda On Skates

I hate Twilight, but even I was going "Sell it, sell it, sell it!" while she skated that. You can redeem even a Twilight program if you sell the living daylights out of it (witness Kostornaia). Unfortunately, I don't think Lindsay heard me.
The program worked for me and I would have pulled out my DVDs if I hadn't packed them already.

I'm so impressed with both the US women at this comp. I fully expected Lindsay to melt down after being in the lead and she didn't. I know Ava Marie also has her ups and downs, but I hope this win gives her confidence going into Nationals.

Going into this season I was pretty ho hum about the loss of the third spot, but the women are doing well on the GP and now I'm all damn it because my favorites are going to be left at home.

skatingguy

decently
But this was a comeback skate for Mai after an injury serious enough to force a WD not long ago. I love her and I love her programs -- that free program is delightful -- but she wasn't ready for that kind of pressure.
But no one would have known that when the assignments were handed out, and Sakamoto chose to go to Canada/Finland instead.

Wyliefan

True. I just meant that, by the time the event rolled around, she didn't have a lot of potential to be a headliner. But you're right that they didn't know that back then.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
What a great event for the Americans! Zeigler sure made the most of this opportunity (wish USFS had given her SA, too). Thorngren held it together and has become a more interesting skater artistically this season.

You know that's not an apples to apples comparison. In Glenn's second season, she was competing against Russians. In her second season, if you remove the Russians' results, Glenn also medals at the 2019 Cup of China.

1Anna SHCHERBAKOVA
RUS.GIF
RUS
2Satoko MIYAHARA
JPN.GIF
JPN
3Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA
RUS.GIF
RUS
4Young YOU
KOR.GIF
KOR
5Sofia SAMODUROVA
RUS.GIF
RUS
6Amber GLENN
USA.GIF
USA

And speaking of the Russians' absence, along with the Korean ladies' struggles, it's about time the U.S. took advantage and won some medals!

you are a gem and wise wise wise. DM me your address so I can send you a gift basket

euterpe

She would have wo without those time deductions. :(

🇧🇪 Pinzarrone - the Golden Age of Belgian women's skating continues. The way the tech scores are trending, she might indeed be able to challenge Loena like she's hoping.

🇺🇸 Thorngren - I'm not overly convinced by her, to be honest, but she did well here. Not enough to lead; not sure anybody at this event will make the Final? Have to check after watching pairs.
Pinzarrone made the final; Thorngren is 2nd alternate

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
What a lovely teenage podium! Excited for the surprise winner, she has lovely height on her jumps. Hope those favourites from Korea and Japan rest up and heal up. Sweet hugs backstage I bet they are rooming together too!

Milan

That was quite bad-ass of Yelim to not only do the literally out-of-this-world 3lutz (-3toe combo) but also to take out a chunk of the barrier!

zigzig

Callers out for blood with everyone except Lindsay T and Nina who received some pretty generous benefit-of-the-doubt calls.

To me the highlight here was Yuna Aoki. Congrats to AMZ but her being first here just reflects what a blah fest this was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information