Taylor Swift

VGThuy

Oh dear tangled mass of pasta, is that the title of that repetitive piece of kidpop?

Having watched the first 15 seconds of the video at the link, I recognize having heard it as background music played in some of the restaurants/lounges I visit.

Believe me when I swear to you on the Kween's 5 WC gold medals that I didn't know the title of the song, who wrote it or sang it - nor did I care at all one single bit about learning any of these facts.

I think I'll survive and so will she. Haters will just have to take her advice and shake it off/shake it off (the only song of hers that I recognize at all).
I remember when we used to talk about music we’ve liked in the past (seems like another life haha), so I’m curious to get your take on this song:

PeterG

Oh dear tangled mass of pasta, is that the title of that repetitive piece of kidpop?

On my local radio station they talked about "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" as a song Taylor wrote after breaking up with Jake Gyllenhaal. He had talked about hating repetitive pop music, which Taylor felt was a bit of a swipe toward her work. So she decided to write a really repetitive pop song in reference to him which would fall under the category of something he would hate. :lol: In the wikipedia entry for this song it says:

..she wrote "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" in hopes of commercial success to spite the ex-boyfriend, "Not only would it hopefully be played a lot, so that he'd have to hear it, but [also] it's the opposite of the kind of music that he was trying to make me feel inferior to."

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
I remember when we used to talk about music we’ve liked in the past (seems like another life haha), so I’m curious to get your take on this song:

The lyrics (to me, and I did bother to look for them to read) lead in several disjointed directions, and all I get from them is that person singing the song wants the person being addressed to interrupt the singer's path and lead him/her in a different direction, but I don't get the reason why from the content or flow of the lyrics. Maybe (probably) I've lived much longer than the singer and am wary of seeing my solutions strictly in what another person wants or can provide.

The music and arrangement are beautiful and along with the visual style of the video remember me of a less fey and eccentric Kate Bush. I am impressed with Taylor's direction and visual style.

Is that too pompous a set of thoughts? :p

VGThuy

The lyrics (to me, and I did bother to look for them to read) lead in several disjointed directions, and all I get from them is that person singing the song wants the person being addressed to interrupt the singer's path and lead him/her in a different direction, but I don't get the reason why from the content or flow of the lyrics. Maybe (probably) I've lived much longer than the singer and am wary of seeing my solutions strictly in what another person wants or can provide.

The music and arrangement are beautiful and along with the visual style of the video remember me of a less fey and eccentric Kate Bush. I am impressed with Taylor's direction and visual style.

Is that too pompous a set of thoughts? :p
I love the disjointed observation because I think that’s what got me into the song. I think it represents Taylor, who is somebody who usually has a clear path of knowing what she wants and working towards her goal (and who was hardened by being “roughed up” by past experiences) and is rooted in her straight path meeting someone who isn’t like that. It’s like the other person has a different mindset from her and isn’t as narrowly focused, and that confuses her (“the more that you say, the less I know.”). But it also intrigues her and she’s becoming more willing to explore and be more willing to go in different directions dictated by feeling/gut rather than thinking (“bend with the wind”).

You definitely touched on the fact that it’s most likely a song that is representing the beginnings of a relationship with potential and captures a very relatable moment where somebody who put up walls has their fortress kind of knocked over a bit rather than a song reflecting on experienced love and analyzing what love really means in hindsight.

To me, it’s less about dependence or hedging your happiness on somebody else, but more that Taylor is becoming less rigid or rooted, and is opening her perspective and is deciding to just go with an energy she found herself admiring and vibing with. Thus, allowing herself become flexible and “soft” again.

I think that last part resonated with me personally because I never saw romance, softness, vulnerability, and devotion to a partner having to mean a loss of strength or independence (but it definitely can be when that leads to a loss of self in many different ways). I see all of that as something that, if healthy, can give a person a unique chance to evolve and grow. Having somebody (who will grow too) who can provide support for you when you need it through understanding or at least validating you, challenging you, and just being there for you and vice versa (giving you the opportunity to do that for another) can make both partners be bigger and better than themselves. It’s like romance is empowering in its own way.

Last edited:

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
@VGThuy I appreciate your response - you have put a great deal of thought and reflection into your analysis of the song and your feelings about it, and that's a wonderful thing.

becca

Nope. Not familiar at all. If I ever did hear it somewhere, it immediately left my memory, it’s just not the sort of thing I relate to, or am interested in.
It’s absolutely not Taylor’s most mature song. Not even when she wrote it.

I honestly think it’s one of the best break up songs of all time because it comes across as a scream! Enough I am done! Bye! It’s incredibly catchy.

I think it’s honestly the key of her success is the simplicity at times of her music that gets her point across

Fifty years from now you can play that song to some heart broken teenager and they will relate to it.

I really like Wildest Dreams, Exile, I don’t want to live forever, you belong with me.

A Better man was not performed by her but beautiful written

jenny12

I think Taylor Swift has honestly become one of the strongest lyricists in pop music. Sometimes her music gets a bit same-y to me but she has a really nice specificity in her lyrics. Her Folklore album was really poetic.

PeterG

Taylor Swift's rare Billboard feat gets praise by the last artist to do it: 'You deserve it all'

Last week, Taylor's newest album, "Speak Now (Taylor's Version)" debuted at #1, where it remains this week. At number four is her album Midnights, at number six is her album Lover and she also has the #10 album, Folklore. This is the first time an artist has had four albums in the top 10 since 1966, when Herb Alpert achieved the same feat.

Alpert made a TikTok video congratulating Swift on this accomplishment, the first time someone had done it since he did it "150 years ago". :lol:

On My Own

Am I missing something? I didn't see Taylor Swift mentioned in that article.
The original post was about sociology of Taylor Swift fans. Instead of starting a thread about fandom in general, I just posted other fandom behaviour here instead.

Badams

The original post was about sociology of Taylor Swift fans. Instead of starting a thread about fandom in general, I just posted other fandom behaviour here instead.
Ahhh, gotcha! I was so confused. Thanks for the clarity!

puglover

My D took her two oldest daughters - 12 and 14 to a TS concert. She did not come to their city so they went to Santa Clara which meant air fares and hotel room. The 14 year old really wanted to go and my daughter was less enthusiastic. They all had a fantastic time. They had so much fun dressing up, making friendship bracelets and said the concert was fantastic. My daughter said she sang for over 3 hours straight and it was just electric. They did not have expensive seats but said they could see and hear well and had the whole experience. They think this will be a memory for a lifetime.

sk9tingfan

The Federal reserve weighs in.

An update: It now includes a downstream ripple effect:

Not the time for the MAGA community to be attacking her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information