Allskate

and that's not saying Isabeau was necessarily bad by any means, it just appeared a bit nervier and not as powerful and dynamic which I know Isabeau is completely capable of
I suspect that Isabeau sometimes backs off with her speed when the nerves are there - like during her first Grand Prix event of the season when she is demanding a lot from herself and others are expecting a lot. (Tara referred to Loena finishing in front of Isabeau as an "upset." What?! :lol: )

I was listening to The Runthrough podcast recently and Adam, Ashley, and Sarah all said that Isabeau skates with a lot of speed except for when she's going into some of her jumps. Ashley says that she's always surprised when she watches on tv and Isabeau looks slower. She thinks it's because Isabeau's movements are so deliberate that this is deceptive and you can't tell how fast she is really moving over the ice. That might be part of it. But, I think it's possible that sometimes the speed isn't there when she gets nervous or isn't comfortable yet with a program. To me, it looked like her speed was inconsistent across competitions last season. And like all skaters, her attack and the presence she has on the ice isn't the same at all competitions.

I hope that the short program performance and placement doesn't get in Isabeau's head and that she skates great in the free program.

I also hope that Amber skating and placing so well in the short doesn't get in her head and that she skates great in the free program.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I was listening to The Runthrough podcast recently and Adam, Ashley, and Sarah all said that Isabeau skates with a lot of speed except for when she's going into some of her jumps. Ashley says that she's always surprised when she watches on tv and Isabeau looks slower. She thinks it's because Isabeau's movements are so deliberate that this is deceptive and you can't tell how fast she is really moving over the ice. That might be part of it. But, I think it's possible that sometimes the speed isn't there when she gets nervous or isn't comfortable yet with a program. To me, it looked like her speed was inconsistent across competitions last season. And like all skaters, her attack and the presence she has on the ice isn't the same at all competitions.
This is correct at least in practice. She is very fast and has really beautiful skating...except when going into jumps. Tonight she looked much slower and more nervous though. It happens.

Allskate

I just watched the video of the press conference. This might be the most touching skating press conference I've seen.

Isabeau clearly respects and appreciates Amber a lot. The quote above is just a snippet of what Isabeau said. She talked a lot about why she said that Amber inspires her. Among other things she said: "If someone on this earth doesn't like Amber, they need their brain scanned." Amber was visibly touched. It sounds like Amber's dad was at the press conference and that was part of why it meant so much to Amber for Isabeau to say that.

Isabeau did say that she thought parts of her program were slow and that she didn't put enough intensity into it and made little mistakes because she wanted it so badly. The girl demands a lot from herself.

Last edited:

Miezekatze

I suspect that Isabeau sometimes backs off with her speed when the nerves are there - like during her first Grand Prix event of the season when she is demanding a lot from herself and others are expecting a lot. (Tara referred to Loena finishing in front of Isabeau as an "upset." What?! :lol: )

I was listening to The Runthrough podcast recently and Adam, Ashley, and Sarah all said that Isabeau skates with a lot of speed except for when she's going into some of her jumps. Ashley says that she's always surprised when she watches on tv and Isabeau looks slower. She thinks it's because Isabeau's movements are so deliberate that this is deceptive and you can't tell how fast she is really moving over the ice. That might be part of it. But, I think it's possible that sometimes the speed isn't there when she gets nervous or isn't comfortable yet with a program.

My friend and I really enjoyed Isabeaus skating live at Nebelhorn, but we also thought she was a bit slow there (generally throughout the programs, not just before the jumps). Kimmy Repond's skating definitely was faster and smoother and looked bigger (of course maybe helped by her actually being very tall), it looked like she was just flying over the ice. Of course in both cases it doesn't translate into big jumps, so just having more basic speed, might not change that with Isabeau either.

SkateFanBerlin

LEVITO/GLENN pretty close to tie. A not perfect day for Hendrixs (I prefer her skating) and Levito could get in there. Amber's consistency has improved so much but I don't think she's up to a win.

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
I said after Nebelhorn that I was underwhelmed by Levito this season. Her programs have lower base value than in the past. She hasn't added or even attempted new elements. She has invested a lot in choreography, with some results, but her overall look continues to be derivative. I'm still waiting to see who she is as a skater.

I was not surprised to see her lutz get a warning call. It's looking much flutzier to me this season. I was perplexed that her flip, rather her lutz, was getting warning calls earlier in the year.

I don't understand the strategy - hope that the Russians stay banned forever and maybe squeak in for a bronze medal if others make mistakes?

Sylvia

TBD
I just watched the video of the press conference. This might be the most touching skating press conference I've seen. [...]

Isabeau clearly respects and appreciates Amber a lot. The quote above is just a snippet of what Isabeau said. She talked a lot about why she said that Amber inspires her. Among other things she said: "If someone on this earth doesn't like Amber, they need their brain scanned." Amber was visibly touched. It sounds like Amber's dad was at the press conference and that was part of why it meant so much to Amber for Isabeau to say that.
USFS uploaded this 2:20 clip from the presser of Isabeau speaking about Amber + Amber's response :): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bRbajkJZY0

Last edited:

Allskate

I said after Nebelhorn that I was underwhelmed by Levito this season. Her programs have lower base value than in the past. She hasn't added or even attempted new elements. She has invested a lot in choreography, with some results, but her overall look continues to be derivative. I'm still waiting to see who she is as a skater.

I was not surprised to see her lutz get a warning call. It's looking much flutzier to me this season. I was perplexed that her flip, rather her lutz, was getting warning calls earlier in the year.

I don't understand the strategy - hope that the Russians stay banned forever and maybe squeak in for a bronze medal if others make mistakes?
What new elements do you want her to add? A triple axel or a quad? That's not easy to do - especially in a healthy way. Who else has added those jumps this season and completed them successfully?

The most common criticism of Isabeau has been the unattractive takeoffs on her lutz and flip, and those seem to have improved. If Isabeau and her coach made that a priority, I can't fault them for that. I am guessing that there is a good reason why she is not doing a loop in her combo right now and therefore has a lower base value. (A mistake on that did cost her a medal last season as I recall.) Unlike most of her competitors, she landed every one of her jumps at Skate America. Perhaps, like Ilia, she is saving the higher risk for after she qualifies to the GP Final.

IMO, the speed is not a technical issue. She started working with Platov when she was quite young and her stroking is not a problem. When she skates slower it appears to be more of a mental issue, and she pretty much acknowledged that at the press conference yesterday. Overall, though, I think she handles the pressure incredibly well. But, I do hope that USFS is providing her with a sport psychologist. I would be surprised if they were not.

I don't know why you're waiting to see who Isabeau is as a skater. She's shown us. When she did Polina's podcast last year, it was very clear that she loves skating in a balletic style. That is who she is. Of course, she's only 16, so who she is as a skater may change, but I don't think it's unclear who she is right now.

Isabeau seems excited about her short program and about Merle. And maybe that excitement is what her mom and coach want for her. I can't fault them for that. At least she's experimenting, and I do love her entry into the axel in that program.

I do wish someone new would choreograph programs for her. I'd like her to go beyond talking to Madi about choreography ideas. I know that extra travel to a choreographer may be a bit of a challenge, but she's getting older, so maybe she can travel alone for choreography next summer. Since Madi has become a mentor to her, perhaps Isabeau could visit her and work with Marie-France Dubreuil?

Last edited:

leilaofpaper

I just watched the video of the press conference. This might be the most touching skating press conference I've seen.

Isabeau did say that she thought parts of her program were slow and that she didn't put enough intensity into it and made little mistakes because she wanted it so badly. The girl demands a lot from herself.
What's up with Amber's dad?

SkateFanBerlin

I think Isabeau is in it for the win. Some skaters saythey want to skate in competition like they do in practice. I think Isabeau says I better skate better in competition than in practice if I need it to win. And, she did.

layman

I was heart broken for Amber. She had such a great SP and then started her long program so strong, but it looked to me like she ran out of gas half-way through (the LP). Still, for the 1st time out with the program, it was not a bad place to start the season and if she can deliver that (super ambitious 8-triple program) cleanly at Nationals, she will be the new National Champion.

I saw improvements with Isabeau's speed and ice coverage in her LP but she is still no where near Amber or Loena in those areas and her jumps still look muscled and eked out.

Sylvia

TBD
It sounds like Amber's dad was at the press conference and that was part of why it meant so much to Amber for Isabeau to say that.
I missed hearing a reference to Amber's dad in the post-SP press conference? He is a police sergeant in the Dallas area.

Elyce Lin-Gracey has a bye to nationals now that she’s been assigned to the Warsaw Cup challenger (in addition to her 2 JGPs).
Good, this will be her CS debut. :)

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
All in all, Amber was going for 8 triple jumps some more than any other competitor that I can see. Do you think that’s probably too aggressive?

Loena only went for six of them

Going for 8 triples which included the triple axel of which she finally had a fantastic first one in competition fully credited

I watched that a couple times now I would give that a +4 of which one of the judges did. You did not even need to review that jump. I can’t believe two judges gave it only a plus one.

did she look out of breath or winded? Maybe she was visiting a lot with family the past two days since they were all there? all I can really tell you is that I am jetlagged and I’m going to sleep.

edited a moment later oh wait Hana did go for 8 triple jumps

SkateFanBerlin

After the 3a she came down for the 3-3. It looked a little frantic. I agree she didn't look tired. In the excitement she lost her timing, finally giving up on the last popped jump.

Allskate

I missed hearing a reference to Amber's dad in the post-SP press conference?
At the end of the press conference video that I posted (not the shorter 2 minute clip @Sylvia posted) Amber goes over to Isabeau and hugs her. It's hard to hear, but it sounded to me like Amber told Isabeau that her Dad was right there and that he has told Amber that it's who she is as a person that matters, not how she skates. It sounded like Amber was saying that was part of why Isabeau's comments meant so much to Amber.

Discussing Amber's father reminded me that Isabeau's father passed away several years ago. Isabeau also is an only child. So, I think it's especially nice that she has older skaters like Amber and Madi being so kind to her and taking her under their wings.

Last edited:

SidelineSkater

All in all, Amber was going for 8 triple jumps some more than any other competitor that I can see. Do you think that’s probably too aggressive?

Loena only went for six of them

Going for 8 triples which included the triple axel of which she finally had a fantastic first one in competition fully credited

I watched that a couple times now I would give that a +4 of which one of the judges did. You did not even need to review that jump. I can’t believe two judges gave it only a plus one.

did she look out of breath or winded? Maybe she was visiting a lot with family the past two days since they were all there? all I can really tell you is that I am jetlagged and I’m going to sleep.

edited a moment later oh wait Hana did go for 8 triple jumps

Loena doesn't do the 3 Loop, which puts her at a disadvantage in base value - having to do 2 2As, but she does repeat the Lutz and Flip. Last season I think she was repeating the Lutz and Sal.

If Amber could have still squeeked out a clean 3Loop she would been bronze. And she only did two combos.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

If only one could have happened, Amber does the free program and lands the triple axel just as she did and finally accomplishes it in competition or botched the triple axel, and everything else was cleanish which would you rather have? But remember still no credited triple axel in that scenario

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Oh and speaking of accomplishments…ANL FINALLY DOWNLOADED AND GOT TO WORK A VPN!!!!! Hold your applause until the end!!!!

my peacock app which I pay for doesnt work in Germany even though I pay for it…. Was able to download a vpn, marginally understand who it works and watch the rest of SkAm.

ok….I will accept your congratulations!!!!! @SidelineSkater you first

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I love Amber to pieces. Whether she scores a big win or not is irrelevant at this point. She skates for the people and it is all that matters.

But like some of my favourite skaters with consistency issues, I avoid becoming too emotionally invested in them when they crumble.

That being said, it's great to see her finally being rewarded by the judges for her skating.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

I watched Andrea interview Amber after her free program performance and she did say that after the foot work she had nothing left in her, so does she mean energy wise or emotionally?

I always wondered that when Amber did get the triple axel the first time, how the rest of the program would end up

SidelineSkater

I love Amber to pieces. Whether she scores a big win or not is irrelevant at this point. She skates for the people and it is all that matters.

But like some of my favourite skaters with consistency issues, I avoid becoming too emotionally invested in them when they crumble.

That being said, it's great to see her finally being rewarded by the judges for her skating.

Congrats on the VPN @AngieNikodinovLove.

Yes. Rooting for the headcases since 2010 (but watching skating since the early 90's). Abbott, Czisny, Nagasu, Glenn.

Some takeaways - she has a PB short program score for the weekend. Someone said it was the highest GOE on a women's 3A? She was solid enough to do a 3/3 immediately after. Plus this was her first comp of the season. On to Finland!

Looking forward to seeing what the US ladies can do this weekend in Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information