AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Congrats on the VPN @AngieNikodinovLove.

Yes. Rooting for the headcases since 2010 (but watching skating since the early 90's). Abbott, Czisny, Nagasu, Glenn.

Some takeaways - she has a PB short program score for the weekend. Someone said it was the highest GOE on a women's 3A? She was solid enough to do a 3/3 immediately after. Plus this was her first comp of the season. On to Finland!

Looking forward to seeing what the US ladies can do this weekend in Canada.

well said, great takeaways

Jonas

I'm not riding the Levito train by any means, but I will say that I do like her short program -- somewhat refreshing stylistically. Get the 3Lutz-3loop back in there and it could be stellar. Her free, on the other hand, only makes me long for Kolyada's rendition of the program. Sorry, not sorry; but hers just doesn't compare.

Love both of Glenn's programs this year and a nice contrast stylistically. The 3Axel was just gorge and I'm sure she's happy to have that wrench off her back. I'll say it: I think she's got World medal worthy material this year; and I'm just hoping she's still hungry for it!

Your thoughts...

layman

Congrats on the VPN @AngieNikodinovLove.

Yes. Rooting for the headcases since 2010 (but watching skating since the early 90's). Abbott, Czisny, Nagasu, Glenn.

Some takeaways - she has a PB short program score for the weekend. Someone said it was the highest GOE on a women's 3A? She was solid enough to do a 3/3 immediately after. Plus this was her first comp of the season. On to Finland!

Looking forward to seeing what the US ladies can do this weekend in Canada.
I have been rooting for the headcases since a bit earlier than 2010 and I would include Angela Nikodinov and Sasha Cohen in that illustrious group (along with Abbott, Czisny, Nagasu and Glenn) of some of the most talented skaters that the US has ever produced.

aliona22

I’d like to see Isabeau work with Kaitlyn Weaver on a FS. Kaitlyn created excellent material for Amber and Hana Yoshida this season; those programs were refreshing and fun. I think she could tap into another side of Isabeau’s personality than the bird stuff.

Allskate

I watched Andrea interview Amber after her free program performance and she did say that after the foot work she had nothing left in her, so does she mean energy wise or emotionally?
I think she said she had a huge adrenaline rush after the lutz and that she then was down to 10% at the end. I took it to mean she was talking about energy. But, it could also mean that she just couldn't focus.

If only one could have happened, Amber does the free program and lands the triple axel just as she did and finally accomplishes it in competition or botched the triple axel, and everything else was cleanish which would you rather have? But remember still no credited triple axel in that scenario

I would take triple axel. It was gorgeous. Plus, I hope that, now that she has accomplished that, she won't have as big of an issue with the rest of her program the next time she lands one. Amber often makes a mistake in a program, but not to the degree she did with the Skate America long program.

Alissa Czisny may have jinxed her though. I listened to her on TSL last night and she loved Amber's triple axel, thought her programs really suited her (especially the short), and predicted that she would become National Champion.

Alissa also said that she thought Isabeau was excited about her short program. Alissa toured with Isabeau over the summer and said that Isabeau was a little burned out at the end of last season (not surprising) and wanted a break from skating, but she was a little rejuvenated by the end of the tour. I hope Isabeau and her team and USFS are learning from that experience. But, I realize that some of the burn out might be due partly to the pressure she puts on herself. I don't want her to be another Alysa Liu.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Love both of Glenn's programs this year and a nice contrast stylistically. The 3Axel was just gorge and I'm sure she's happy to have that wrench off her back. I'll say it: I think she's got World medal worthy material this year; and I'm just hoping she's still hungry for it!

Your thoughts...

I hope so too but someone else pointed out to me that she doesn’t really have a second combination in the free program. she does have a second one it just isn’t a triple triple. But when I watched the Tara and Johnny broadcast, they say that between her Isabeau and Loenas she has a higher base value and by the look by by about five points, at least.

Sylvia

TBD
Amber GLENN - planned FS technical content from the ISU's Skate America event page:
1 3A Triple Axel
2 3F+3T Triple Flip+Triple Toeloop
3 3Lo+2T Triple Loop+Double Toeloop
4 3S Triple Salchow
5 FSSp Fly. Sit Spin
6 StSq Step Sequence
7 3Lz+2A+2T Triple Lutz+Double Axel+Double Toeloop
8 3F Triple Flip
9 3Lo Triple Loop
10 ChSq Choreo Sequence
11 CCoSp Change Foot Comb. Spin
12 LSp

Allskate

I hope so too but someone else pointed out to me that she doesn’t really have a second combination in the free program. she does have a second one it just isn’t a triple triple. But when I watched the Tara and Johnny broadcast, they say that between her Isabeau and Loenas she has a higher base value and by the look by by about five points, at least.
The triple axel gives Amber the higher base value if she performs the jumps. Loena doesn't have a loop and doesn't plan to get one or to get a triple axel or quad. She says it's not worth the risk of injury. Loena won the technical score both because she completed her jumps and because of GOE. Amber obviously did not complete all her planned jumps and ended up with a lower total base value than planned. Isabeau landed her jumps but did not have the GOE. Isabeau said that her short program is designed so that there is something for her to do every moment and, if she makes one little mistake, it probably will lead her to make another little mistake. (I don't remember, but I think she might have lost levels on some of her spins at Skate America. To me, some of her spins have looked slower and a bit off this season.) I think that might be a problem for her to some extent in the long program, but IMO the bigger scoring issue is that she just doesn't get enough GOE on her jumps. She may pick up a little GOE because of the entrances to some of her jumps, but it's not enough. A Loena who lands her jumps will get a higher technical score than an Isabeau who lands her jumps.

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
And then someone else mentioned today that Amber had the highest GOE on a triple axel ever of any ladies skater? Wow.
The scale changed with the +5 system but she’s not even close to having the highest score internationally. Valieva in the Olympic team event and then quite a few other skaters before Glenn’s score. Almost 20 different 3A’s actually.

Mirai still has the highest US women’s score, from the 2018 Olympics and under the +/-3

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Sweetie: Kihira, Kostornaia, Yoshida, Young You, Higuchi, Tuktamysheva, Watanabe.

Pick one you won’t complain about. They are all higher in the +5 system.

I only referenced one person lol

and I’m just repeating what someone else said on the boards today, about her having the highest GOE

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

They said Amber is the sixth American woman to do the triple axel, I can count five. is Mia , one of them? If so, she is what I miss.

Ton, Kimmie, Mirai, Alysa, Amber

SidelineSkater

Oopsy. I saw the ‘highest scored 3A’ on Instagram. If you read it online, you know it’s true!

Apologies for the confusion.

SkatingScores has a handy dandy element database. I looked. Amber isn’t even top 30 (including multiple jumps from the same person and including those drinking grandpa juice).

Who knows, she’s done it once. Room to do it again with a higher GOE!

VGThuy

I know Kimmie’s was ratified, but it really should not have been. It seemed the excitement of it being attempted and not fallen on and encouraging other skaters to try may have led to it being ratified… and probably trying to change the fact that Tonya Harding had been the only other US female skater to land it at Nationals or ever.

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
Phoebe Stubblefield's 3A with + GOE was landed in her 4th place Junior FS at the Midwestern Sectional Singles Final in November 2022: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2022/32047/SEGM021.html
She's in the ISP but has not competed this season - not sure what's going on there.

Somehow I missed this. What a strange protocol, with the 3A as the only clean triple and one of only three (lutz and toe loop being the others) attempted. Were the doubles intentional / does she have the other triples? I'm not sure I've ever come across a female skater who learned the 3A before many of the basic triples!

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
Phoebe's FS protocol from the August 2022 Cranberry Cup International (won the Junior bronze; planned 7 triples with no sal or loop): https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/lea...OR----FNL-000100--_JudgesDetailsperSkater.pdf

Thanks! She did attempt a 3S here, at the end of a 3F+1eu+3S combination. And it looks like she tried a 3Lo (and fell) at Nationals in the short program before she withdrew. So I guess she has all of the triples to some degree. Maybe she got excited and starting doubling at Sectionals. The 3A clip looks beautiful.

Sylvia

TBD

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Not to take anything away from the mental game, but Glenn lost a lot of training time due to her recent concussion. Hope her stamina improves as the season progresses.
Of course! I forgot about her injury and that this was her first international event for the season.

Most of the other women competing at Skate America would have had a Challenger Series or two under their belts by this point.

Onwards and upwards. I really like Amber's programs this year, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information