2023 Skate America Mens SP - Malininguena

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
I just want it on record that I NEVER liked this cover, even when I was loving James and… skating to it.
Agree, but I actually heard a worse cover of Sound Of Silence yesterday - it sounded like it had a programmed Casio keyboard beat in the background.

But I digress. Bit of a mixed competition. Glad Vasilijevs finally got a hair cut. Has Litvintsev never seen a lion? Enjoyed Aymoz as always but agree could do with some fresh moves. Malinin much improved but as others commented the artistry doesn't seem natural (some people can never achieve that sort of flow, but glad he's trying).

Primorskaya

Catching up on replay and on everyone's wonderful commentary, I wish I could watch live but the scheduling is painful for a European!
Don't have much to add as I'd be paraphrasing what was already said, but I really enjoyed Ilia's skating for the first time, this is all going in the right direction, I'm glad I can get excited about him too! Egadze is so stiff, he reminds me of Morisi, is this a Georgian man curse? What I really want for Christmas is Deniss landing his jumps because everything else about his skating delights me. I'm totally fine with the outrageous V-neck, too. And this frenchwoman is very proud of Kevin, even though he does have the same programme every year :D

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Watched last night, and I was totally impressed with how much Ilia has improved with his artistry and presentation, and I loved his Raspberry Twist! Way too cool, and it looked like fun!

I'm also now a fan of Kevin Aymoz and Shun Sato! I also like Nozomu Yoshioka. We have a lot of great figure skaters to watch this Grand Prix season especially with the Men! Congratulations to the success of the SP's Ilia, Kevin and Shun! Great job!

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Watched last night, and I was totally impressed with how much Ilia has improved with his artistry and presentation, and I loved his Raspberry Twist! Way too cool, and it looked like fun!

I'm also now a fan of Kevin Aymoz and Shun Sato! I also like Nozomu Yoshioka. We have a lot of great figure skaters to watch this Grand Prix season especially with the Men! Congratulations to the success of the SP's Ilia, Kevin and Shun! Great job!

Ha! I actually screamed with joy when I saw The Raspberry! It’s a very cool move. My (Russian) husband got it, when I began to explain the name. 🤣

sk9tingfan

ITA. But am I being a little too picky wishing for a more muted costume palette?

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Catching up on replay and -
Was that Vitali “truck driver” Novikov in the KnC with Litvintsev?

Sylvia

TBD
Catching up on replay and -
Was that Vitali “truck driver” Novikov in the KnC with Litvintsev?
Yes - I couldn't think of his name last night so thank you!!!
Wasn''t Litvintsev's coach in the k&c that Russian ice dancer who's in the USA .... name??
ETA - just did a quick search on FSU and Novikov was coaching a few younger ice dance teams in SoCal with Christine Binder (now working with Jenni Meno) in 2016.

Last edited:

mtnskater

As always enjoy reading everyone’s comments this morning!

A bit gutted for Torgy and Naumov. Both are great skaters and should be near the top not the bottom, but looking for consistency. Torgy really disappointed because he did so well in his previous short program at his challenger. But when you consider how little Grand Prix experience they both have, I sure hope they can get more assignments and figure it out. For instance Aymoz has been a Grand Prix mess for years and is finally getting some consistency.

Speaking of Aymoz, I’ve always been a fan. However he is really getting a bit over the top for me. And like others, I’d like to see new moves. But he stands out as an artist and the quality and ease of his skating is beautiful.

Deniss looks great with the haircut and like others I yearn for a clean skate from him because he is so good.

Shun Sato is forgettable to me but definitely an excellent technician and hard worker.

Agree with all about the cringe worthy Lion King from Livintsev. Costume too. I was surprised the judges scored it so high.

Gogo at least not a train wreck but he really needs to improve his skating skills. Does he ever smile???

I about puked seeing Eteri’s smirky face in the K&C. I guess coaching Georgians (or Russians skating for Georgia?) is her ticket to travel from Russia now.

Ilia stole the show and I’m so glad for his improvements this year. He’s working hard! So nice to see.

Evgeniafan

Catching up on replay and on everyone's wonderful commentary, I wish I could watch live but the scheduling is painful for a European!
Don't have much to add as I'd be paraphrasing what was already said, but I really enjoyed Ilia's skating for the first time, this is all going in the right direction, I'm glad I can get excited about him too! Egadze is so stiff, he reminds me of Morisi, is this a Georgian man curse? What I really want for Christmas is Deniss landing his jumps because everything else about his skating delights me. I'm totally fine with the outrageous V-neck, too. And this frenchwoman is very proud of Kevin, even though he does have the same programme every year :D
Your Christmas present for Deniss needs to be opened at Europeans.

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
Skating after Egadze should REALLY give Aymoz a boost on skating skills. Aymoz looks good anyway, but compared to the rest of the competition, he looks Patrick Chan levels of good.
Maybe comparing to rest of field, but he doesn't look Chan level of good at all to me.

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
Ilia is just amazing...I totally loved that skate, he is for sure my #1.

ETA: Thanks, Peacock for replays.

Vagabond

Aymoz is shedding tears of joy, and Nicky says, "He didn't disappoint, did he?" No, Nicky, he did not. :giggle:
That was Chris Howarth?!

ETA: I am confused, partly due to not having watched any previous Seniors events this season. :slinkaway

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
That was Chris Howarth?! I admit that it sounded like Chris, but I am shocked that he has been allowed to come back. Disgusted too.
Wrong person. Simon Reed was behind the incident you are surely remembering.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Brown just got an assignment. Perhaps your speculation isn't that far off ;)
:rolleyes: No, Jason made it clear in the summer that he would do Nats again this season. Getting a CS is a bit of a surprise, but probably a smart move just to get his programs out there in a competitive environment before Nats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information