NHK Trophy 2023 Mens SP - Misters, Can You Tell Us Where Your Quads Have Gone (In A Japanese Void)

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Wedgie Data

Start Order:
Warm-up Group 1
1 Aleksandr SELEVKO EST
2 Tatsuya TSUBOI JPN
3 Luc ECONOMIDES FRA
4 Mihhail SELEVKO EST
5 Gabriele FRANGIPANI ITA
6 Wesley CHIU CAN

Warm-up Group 2
7 Yuma KAGIYAMA JPN
8 Nika EGADZE GEO
9 Camden PULKINEN USA
10 Deniss VASILJEVS LAT
11 Lukas BRITSCHGI SUI
12 Shoma UNO JPN

ISU Stream

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
bonus for anyone who knows where the title comes from!

skatingguy

decently
Selevko, Aleksandr 🇪🇪
Coach: I. Kononova, K. Kalenda, K. Davydenko
Music: Pharaoh Ramses II, The Mummy’s Curse

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Selevko #1 hurled himself into those first couple of jumps as if he was just hoping they'd work. I mean, one of them did, but I'm not sure wild abandon is what you want when doing triples and quads. Good spins and efforts at interpretation though.

skatingguy

decently
Selevko, Aleksandr 🇪🇪
Coach: I. Kononova, K. Kalenda, K. Davydenko
Music: Pharaoh Ramses II, The Mummy’s Curse

4T< - fall
3A
Ch Camel Spin 4

3Lz+3Tq
Step Sequence 3
Fly Sit Spin
4 (3 after review)
Ch Combo Spin 4

Ted forgot about the fall on the first element by the end of the program. Kind of forgettable men's Euros program to techno music.

75.85 = 1st Place

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
Tsuboi, Tatsuya 🇯🇵
Coach: Sonoko Nakano, Mitsuko Graham, Sei Kawahara
Music: En Aranjuez Con Tu Amor by Joaquin Rodrigo

Andrey aka Pushkin

Playing ping pong with balls of chocolate jam
Out of literally hundreds of Selevkos we have, this one is definitely my favorite. He's better built for figure skating, I feel, and has better basics.

Estonians need some extra spots at the Euros and Worlds, they have three non-embarrassing men. I suggest we give them some of the unnecessary spots of the Latvians (and the Americans).

skatingguy

decently
Tsuboi, Tatsuya 🇯🇵
Coach: Sonoko Nakano, Mitsuko Graham, Sei Kawahara
Music: En Aranjuez Con Tu Amor by Joaquin Rodrigo

4Sq - tight landing
Fly Camel Spin 4
3A< - flipped off the landing edge, big step out
Ch Combo Spin 4
Step Sequence 2

3Lz+3T<< - fall
Ch Sit Spin 4

A bit of rough skate after a pretty solid start on the quadruple Salchow.

64.63 = 2nd Place

Last edited:

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Tsuboi - was about to write 'oh good, Concerto de Aranjuez' then found it was the version with lyrics - bleh - please De-Divo the Il-Divo.

That combo was never going to work. Otherwise, it was fine but bland.

Andrey aka Pushkin

Ah, yes. Aranjuez, ever since the days of Takeshi Honda a mandatory choice of music for the Japanese.

Forgettable to the levels of I already don't remember who he is. But then again, he's the 9th best Japanese boy :eek:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Out of literally hundreds of Selevkos we have, this one is definitely my favorite. He's better built for figure skating, I feel, and has better basics.

Estonians need some extra spots at the Euros and Worlds, they have three non-embarrassing men. I suggest we give them some of the unnecessary spots of the Latvians (and the Americans).
You know, if either Elder Selevko or Levandi could score as high as the half dozen American men who had a higher SB last season then they'd have extra spots for Euros and Worlds.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
How did I miss that Economides shirt looks like it was feasted upon by moths?
Dear lord. I wasn't paying attention in warm-up. You are not wrong. I assume the 'I took to my costume with a dull knife' look has something to do with what I'm generously going to call the music?

That skate was not my cup of hot beverage, but I guess he got through it.

skatingguy

decently
Economides, Luc 🇫🇷
Coach: Florent Amoodio
Music: Selah by Kanye West

3A - hand down
3F!+3T
Ch Camel Spin 3
3Lz
Fly Sit Spin 3
Step Sequence 3

Ch Combo Spin 4

Solid skate. He really lands heavy with a thud on all the jumps like he's got too much height for the amount ice coverage.

74.24 = 2nd Place

Last edited:

Andrey aka Pushkin

Luc and his aerodynamic hoodie. Well, having a shirt full of holes is a sensible passage to Chaplin.

He's one skater who is not only better on TV but also very much different depending on where you watch him from at the arena. Luckily for him, he looks much better on the judges' level than from the higher seats.

I genuinely enjoy this SP but very wild patterns and awkward positions. He leaves the impression of being very tall and being unable to control his limbs, but he's actually so petite in the real life that I didn't recognize him upon bumping into his at the toilets in Angers. He's what I thought Kevin would be - a headcase with questionable technique and fun programs. Glad I was wrong about Kevin - he's only an occasional headcase with questionable technique and fun programs.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I have no real opinion about the skates of the first three men. There were jumps attempted and unremarkable skating.

I'm sure half of FSU will complain about the faux Egyptian choreo of Elder Selevko's program while the other half of FSU either likes it or has no strong opinion either way.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
I'm sure half of FSU will complain about the faux Egyptian choreo of Elder Selevko's program while the other half of FSU either likes it or has no strong opinion either way.
I liked it - he at least had a concept for what he was trying to do.

Selevko#2 on the other hand could really be skating to anything. Good job though, all elements looked pretty clean.

skatingguy

decently
Selevko, Mihhail 🇪🇪
Coach: Irina Kononova
Music: Break My Baby

4T
3Lz+3T
Ch Combo Spin 4

3Aq
Fly Sit Spin 4
Step Sequence 2 - twizzle stumble - what does he think he's an ice dancer? ;)

Ch Camel Spin 3

Good skate for Mihhail.

81.31 = 1st Place

Last edited:

Andrey aka Pushkin

The other Selevko is on today. Lovely jumps, which is very uncharacteristic of him, but I am still thinking he's not as naturally well built for figure skating as his baby-bro. Worse edges and less control over the upper body. He's very handsome, though, so I guess that's good enough.

Kateri

void beast
Does anyone know what that little diamond-shaped choker necklace is that a lot of skaters wear? Both Selevkos wear it, and I've seen several others, too.

skatingguy

decently
The other Selevko is on today. Lovely jumps, which is very uncharacteristic of him, but I am still thinking he's not as naturally well built for figure skating as his baby-bro. Worse edges and less control over the upper body. He's very handsome, though, so I guess that's good enough.
Mihhail is the younger brother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information