2023 Skate America Women FS - Not Landing

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
Protocols are up. It was a tight race, but the underrotation queen is.....

[drumroll]

Chiba, with one << and two <.

[The below is corrected with thanks to @skatingguy]
Next is a five-way tie among You, Kawabe, and Kurakova, each of whom had three < calls, plus Wi and An who had one <<, one <, and one q each. a tie between You, with three < calls plus a q, and Wi with one <<, one <, and two q. That's followed by Kawabe and Kurakova, with three < calls, tied with An who had one <<, one <, and one q.

Followed by:
Glenn: two <
Levito and Petrokina: one < and one q, tied with Seo (shocker) who had three q.
Hendricks and Yoshida: one q

(I'm treating as << as three points, < as two points, and q as one point. Feel free to argue over methodology :lol: ).

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Women
Result
FPl. Name Nation Points SP FS
1 Loena HENDRICKX BEL 221.28 1 1
2 Isabeau LEVITO USA 208.15 3 2
3 Niina PETROKINA EST 194.55 4 4
4 Hana YOSHIDA JPN 190.98 9 3
5 Amber GLENN USA 189.63 2 5
6 Mone CHIBA JPN 177.79 5 6
7 Ekaterina KURAKOVA POL 173.75 7 7
8 Mana KAWABE JPN 168.98 6 8
9 Xiangyi AN CHN 165.40 8 9
10 Clare SEO USA 163.77 11 10
11 Young YOU KOR 157.36 12 11
12 Seoyeong WI KOR 156.02 10 12

Pl. NameNationTSS
=
TES
+
PCS
+
COPRSKDed.
-
StN.
1​
Loena HENDRICKXBEL
145.36​
72.42​
72.94​
9.14​
9.14​
9.04​
0.00​
#12​
2​
Isabeau LEVITOUSA
138.08​
70.69​
67.39​
8.46​
8.57​
8.21​
0.00​
#10​
3​
Hana YOSHIDAJPN
131.58​
72.76​
58.82​
7.25​
7.21​
7.57​
0.00​
#4​
4​
Niina PETROKINAEST
129.53​
66.57​
62.96​
7.93​
7.86​
7.79​
0.00​
#9​
5​
Amber GLENNUSA
118.18​
56.95​
63.23​
7.93​
7.71​
8.04​
2.00​
#11​
6​
Mone CHIBAJPN
113.55​
55.84​
59.71​
7.43​
7.43​
7.50​
2.00​
#8​
7​
Ekaterina KURAKOVAPOL
113.30​
54.56​
58.74​
7.29​
7.50​
7.21​
0.00​
#6​
8​
Mana KAWABEJPN
106.18​
50.11​
58.07​
7.11​
7.14​
7.50​
2.00​
#7​
9​
Xiangyi ANCHN
105.66​
51.40​
54.26​
6.82​
6.71​
6.79​
0.00​
#5​
10​
Clare SEOUSA
105.63​
50.41​
55.22​
6.82​
6.82​
7.04​
0.00​
#2​
11​
Young YOUKOR
101.15​
49.12​
53.03​
6.57​
6.43​
6.86​
1.00​
#1​
12​
Seoyeong WIKOR
97.47​
49.19​
50.28​
6.25​
6.04​
6.54​
2.00​
#3​

skatingguy

decently

[drumroll]

Next is a five-way tie among You, Kawabe, and Kurakova, each of whom had three < calls, plus Wi and An who had one <<, one <, and one q each.

Followed by:

(I'm treating as << as three points, < as two points, and q as one point. Feel free to argue over methodology :lol: ).
Bonus point if more than one jump in a combination gets called.

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
I think overall the women's event was not that good. So many skated downright poorly. My faves were Isabeau, I like ballet types. Dress was overwhelming but I loved her program. I also liked Petrokina and Kurakova. Not a fan of Leona or Amber. Props to Amber for the 3A, sorry to see her implode after that. I missed most of Yoshida's skate, I see she did a 3A, too? underrotated. Wondered why she scored 72.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Many of you are too young or not from the US to remember Wild World of Sports on ABC back in the 60s and 70s. The opening montage was a downhill skier who was leading the World Cup and on the last run hit a patch of ice and cartwheeled off the mountain falling 30 meters, hitting a ledge then falling an additional 15 meters. ABC called it the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. That so applied to Glenn in this competition.

When my imaging students annoyed me, I'd make them calculate the amount of work done by the skier during the fall. (It's not that hard if you've had basic physics but most of them couldn't do word problems).

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Many of you are too young or not from the US to remember Wild World of Sports on ABC back in the 60s and 70s. The opening montage was a downhill skier who was leading the World Cup and on the last run hit a patch of ice and cartwheeled off the mountain falling 30 meters, hitting a ledge then falling an additional 15 meters. ABC called it the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. That so applied to Glenn in this competition.

When my imaging students annoyed me, I'd make them calculate the amount of work done by the skier during the fall. (It's not that hard if you've had basic physics but most of them couldn't do word problems).
That same clip was on Wide World of Sports well into the 90s, probably even the early 2000s.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Just caught up on the women, put me in the minority but I loved all the whacking and dance moves by Leona. Love the whole package. Also enjoyed Isabeau but shame about Amber! It did look like her legs went she was so stiff for the second half, not sure why the lactic acid build up?? Look forward to a clean Amber and hope she makes it to worlds,

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Just got home and I wanted to mention that I really feel like Amber's adrenaline and excitement got the best of her. You could see that her timing just got rushed and I could just feel the falls coming on. Regardless, she really drew us in through the beginning and I was almost teary which considering how I feel about Exogenesis that's quite a statement. I'm hoping she will figure out how to harness that energy and keep calm throughout.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
Lorena and that pairs girl with unicorn fart glitter on her unitard should go clubbing together.

Amber Glenn’s dress was gorgeous and it should be replicated in many colors in my size. And I feel like Isabeau’s team were told they had to use ALL the fabric, every piece, or they would be cursed or something.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
That so applied to Glenn in this competition.
Except on WWS, the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat were two different athletes...

The opening montage was a downhill skier who was leading the World Cup and on the last run hit a patch of ice and cartwheeled off the mountain falling 30 meters, hitting a ledge then falling an additional 15 meters. ABC called it the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. That so applied to Glenn in this competition.
Years later on some kind of tribute/award/anniversary show, ABC flew him in, and he walked onto the stage in black tie looking pretty sheepish as the crowd cheered. (I can't remember if there was a standing O, but there probably was.)

mtnskater

Isabeau’s costume in the gala looked great! Made her look more mature. She wore that in Stars on Ice. I noticed her gala split jump was much more a full split than the competition and her flip jump entry was much faster, spins better.

She said in an interview that her coach choreographs her programs and designs her costumes, including her snake costume. Unusual. Maybe okay for juniors and lower levels, but not when you are in the big leagues.

Free Isabeau :mitchell:

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Isabeau’s costume in the gala looked great! Made her look more mature. She wore that in Stars on Ice. I noticed her gala split jump was much more a full split than the competition and her flip jump entry was much faster, spins better.

She said in an interview that her coach choreographs her programs and designs her costumes, including her snake costume. Unusual. Maybe okay for juniors and lower levels, but not when you are in the big leagues.

I think she would really benefit from some outside ideas. There's a whole skater in there waiting to burst free! (And yes she looked amazing in that gala dress she just shined)

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
The dress in person up close looks like rabid wolves took to it. It's too heavy and weighs her down.

She has improved a lot but the costume is...not a good choice. I actually was impressed seeing the improvements she has made in her skating. Less labored. The jump technique is questionable of course and that last spin traveled a bit, but I enjoy her live more than watching her on my computer screen.

(Isabeau is such a sweet, friendly young lady and has been so generous when I've seen her with fans. A+, kiddo.)

My request is can we stop with the board grabbing and vamping :rofl:

I still stan Kurakova

Um, what else

Loena I love you but that program was a lot of empty

Amberrrrr my heart broke but that axel was a thing of beauty, I think she just got nervy working almost against the momentum she'd built rather than going with it

Niina was so excited, I was happy for her

skatingguy

decently

[drumroll]

Next is a five-way tie among You, Kawabe, and Kurakova, each of whom had three < calls, plus Wi and An who had one <<, one <, and one q each.

Followed by:

I think you missed that You had a q on her triple-triple combo - 3Lzq+3T< - and Wi had two q's so I think that moves them into 2nd place together.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

It’s probably less expensive when the coach designs the programs snd costumes.

Does the USFS have a costume fund for athletes?

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
I think you missed that You had a q on her triple-triple combo - 3Lzq+3T< - and Wi had two q's so I think that moves them into 2nd place together.

Oops, you're right; thanks for the correction! I see how I missed You's, with both q and < in the same combo, but no excuses on Wi.

It was all in jest anyway; I like to come up with predictions around most underrotations, most falls, etc. to make some of the lower-ranked ladiezzzzz more exciting to watch. :lol:

SkateFanBerlin

Just watched Petrokinas skate which was for elite skating ordinary. She seemed accepting of her score; I'm sure she didn't expect to medal with that mark. Just shows you to do your best; you can't know what others will do.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
She benefited from Hana having a supbar short and Amber having a subpar long. As you say, sometimes that's how it shakes out!

Icetalavista

I get that it needs to have more skating and they need to tweak the posing to have more movement and skating.

It just seemed like people were complaining about the actual dance style and Loena executed it in a way where I felt she was attempting to really respect the art form unlike a lot of Bollywood routines that aren’t very good but make winks and nods to what they think are features of Bollywood dancing.

I guess we are in a new world where transitions are no longer their own PCS category and skating skills are the last listed one.
For me it's the fact that it doesn't translate well to skating. I thought the same thing with PapaCiz BTW. Thought in their case they were checking the box of hip hop without having it affect anything below the waist.

Leona's clubby programs are fun and she has terrific skating skills, and she doesn't have to fit the classic mold, but I'd like to see her do a SP or LP that goes in a nonclassic direction that isn't always clubby. Or at least uses more full-body club dance styles.

off topic somewhat, but Davis & White's Bollywood RD is the textbook example of respecting a not-traditional-to-skating dance form and doing it brilliantly. Detail, MOVEMENT, excellent use of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information