Cup of China 2023 Men SP - “Club Pop-icana”

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
91.21 for that??
91 points without a combo? Are they kidding me.
He lost 4.75 points for the -5 on the 4T. Another point for the fall. 3T base is 4.2. So 9.95 points dropped there, plus whatever positive GOE he could've gotten. I don't think it's that surprising of a score. It's not like the rest of the program lacked and the other two jumping elements were excellent.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Thank God Shoma came through, because if Adam had won the short program with that mess ...

Sally1214

Well, THAT was certainly worth waking up for. Way to go, Shoma!!

Eta: Highest sp score of the season. Well done.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Uno - I love his speed in the final minute!

I’m especially delighted to see Shaidorov in top 3 here! (Yay, Urmanov!)

skatingguy

decently
Uno, Shoma 🇯🇵
Coach: Stephane Lambiel
Music: Love You Kung Fu, Clair de Lune

4F
4T+3T
Fly Camel Spin 4
3A
Step Sequence 3
Ch Sit Spin 4

Ch Combo Spin 4

Quality elements throughout - I'll let @tony give you the break down of the technical issues on the quadruple flip - but this is a very strange program. It's very Stephane Lambiel, and maybe the opening music is easier to deal with if you're not a native English speaker. It also has a strange ending with the music slowing to a finish rather than giving the program any energy.

105.25 = 1st Place

Last edited:

tony

I cannot take Uno's scores seriously when the technical panels refuse to address the 4F technique and prerotation (yeah yeah, I know jump physics very well-- that's way too much prerotation). That jump wasn't rotated, either. Even if they want to give him a 'q'.

He's a beautiful skater, but I still think the complexity and the movements in both directions just aren't there.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Results after the Men SP

1​
Shoma UNOJPN
105.25​
59.17​
46.08​
9.14​
9.14​
9.32​
0.00​
#12​
2​
Adam SIAO HIM FAFRA
91.21​
48.85​
43.36​
8.75​
8.50​
8.71​
1.00​
#11​
3​
Mikhail SHAIDOROVKAZ
89.94​
52.65​
37.29​
7.54​
7.29​
7.50​
0.00​
#7​
4​
Boyang JINCHN
87.44​
48.00​
39.44​
7.86​
7.86​
7.89​
0.00​
#4​
5​
Gabriele FRANGIPANIITA
85.19​
46.97​
38.22​
7.57​
7.75​
7.57​
0.00​
#6​
6​
Kazuki TOMONOJPN
80.50​
41.07​
40.43​
8.11​
7.89​
8.21​
1.00​
#10​
7​
Jimmy MAUSA
77.29​
41.25​
37.04​
7.36​
7.46​
7.36​
1.00​
#8​
8​
Sota YAMAMOTOJPN
75.48​
36.51​
38.97​
7.79​
7.68​
7.86​
0.00​
#9​
9​
Sihyeong LEEKOR
74.43​
38.66​
35.77​
7.14​
7.21​
7.07​
0.00​
#5​
10​
Juwen XUCHN
65.57​
33.84​
31.73​
6.43​
6.11​
6.46​
0.00​
#1​
11​
Daiwei DAICHN
64.25​
31.04​
33.21​
6.57​
6.57​
6.75​
0.00​
#2​
12​
Lucas BROUSSARDUSA
61.05​
29.13​
32.92​
6.61​
6.46​
6.64​
1.00​
#3​

Protocols link: http://www.isuresults.com/results/s...------QUAL000100--_JudgesDetailsperSkater.pdf

tony

Uno's 4F +5 from one judge and +4 from two other judges. +3 from everyone else except one. 3A +5 from the same judge who gave the +5 for the flip. It's the French judge.

10.00 from one judge for presentation (USA)

Please. It's too early for this.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
OMG, I just looked at the scores. I’ve got to watch group 2 as soon as I get home from grocery shopping.
I haven’t looked yet and won’t be able to watch until this afternoon but sounds like I will need 🍿:watch:.

Sally1214

Okay, I found a vid of Boyang's skate. Gosh darn it .... say what you want ... I really LIKE him a LOT!! Quad wasn't exactly what he wanted but the rest was really good. And, I loved seeing him look so happy in the K/C. He and Brian Orser seem to have a great student-coach rapport going on. And .... all those stuffies!! It was great to see Boyang have that moment. Hope he has a wonderful free skate.

jenny12

I love Shoma but totally agree with Tony that he’s overscored. His takeoffs are just so bad. Like some of the worst I’ve ever seen bad. I enjoy his style but that technique is unfortunate.

I also wish he used other music from Everything Everywhere All At Once. He didn’t even really use the most famous theme and went with the Clair De Lune remix.

Last edited:

tony

Shoma was overscored, but it doesn't compare to how much Adam was overscored. I still can't believe that one. Yes, I've read the explanation, but we've seen how harshly other skaters get penalized for fall + no combo.
I don't know what you're referring to with the '+ no combo' talk. He was scored as a -5 for that element, obviously got no points for the combo he didn't attempt, and he doesn't get penalized otherwise for not completing the combo. So in the end, the 4T fall gave him a whole whopping 3.75 points. He did a 4Lz that was an absolute beauty. Where else was he overscored? And what are the other skaters' examples you are thinking of here?

And IMO, Shoma was way more overscored because he can't actually do the jump he continues to get full credit (as he has for what, basically 8 years now?) plus an additional 3.5 points for, as a big starter.

Any skater who uses the toe pick to vault themselves straight up on a triple flip has the exact same amount of rotation in the air as Uno has on his quad flip. It's insane he gets credit.

ETA- a 4F< (being nice) with the full -5 for the amount of problems he has with the jump drops him to 4.40 points for the element. He scored 14.46 points here. I don't think there's any debate (based on the video evidence above) that the jump should have been called this as a minimum. So are you suggesting Adam deserved 10 points less than the 91 he received?

Last edited:

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
I don't know what you're referring to with the '+ no combo' talk. He was scored as a -5 for that element, obviously got no points for the combo he didn't attempt, and he doesn't get penalized otherwise for not completing the combo. So in the end, the 4T fall gave him a whole whopping 3.75 points. He did a 4Lz that was an absolute beauty. Where else was he overscored? And what are the other skaters' examples you are thinking of here?

And IMO, Shoma was way more overscored because he can't actually do the jump he continues to get full credit (as he has for what, basically 8 years now?) plus an additional 3.5 points for, as a big starter.

Any skater who uses the toe pick to vault themselves straight up on a triple flip has the exact same amount of rotation in the air as Uno has on his quad flip. It's insane he gets credit.

ETA- a 4F< (being nice) with the full -5 for the amount of problems he has with the jump drops him to 4.40 points for the element. He scored 14.46 points here. I don't think there's any debate (based on the video evidence above) that the jump should have been called this as a minimum. So are you suggesting Adam deserved 10 points less than the 91 he received?
Exactly.

Just the pre-rotation itself (poor take-off) is a minimum of -2 GOE reduction (max -4 GOE). Then you have the -2 GOE reduction from being at least a quarter short (generous) on the landing. Since there was no sign, -1 GOE for being short is obvious.

The jump starts at a +1 or +2 GOE at most due to the take-off and landing errors. Then you subtract GOE for the errors laid out. If the judges are actually judging just based on what the Panel is calling, that jump should have had a GOE ranging from -1 to -3.

I agree with Tony's assessment. 4flip < with a poor takeoff. < is a GOE reduction of -2 to -3. Final GOE should be in the range of -2 to -5, depending on judge's interpretation.

In no scenario with a proper reading of the rules should Shoma's quad flip get positive GOE. That he's getting crazy high GOE from the judges is asinine.

Last edited:

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
This song is so weird. But he's skating great, so I guess it works for him!
Vienna is my favourite all time song! I had such a crush on Midge Ure! Loved Ultravvox. Suffice to say I am now cheering for Jin to do really well. He had improved his artistry so much since going to Tracey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information