U.S. Ice Dance 2023-24 news & updates

emilieh

Wasn't it Deanna who said she had to repay all the training money received from the USFS over the years before she was given her release? I don't expect the USFS to give Lorraine a release any more easily than they did with Deanna.

Pfund & Santillan detailed some of the process on their blog, it's really stuck with me since I read it the first time: https://web.archive.org/web/20201030043456/https://joshica.net/blog/

This was in 2020, they were switching from USA to SUI, and they had not competed internationally since fall 2018.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Anton has also posted on his IG -

He says he is still processing everything and plans on looking for a new partner.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
So it seems to be an either or: they can hold you for up-to-two years from your last international competition, or you can buy your way out earlier at an exorbitant amount of money that, unless you have very wealthy family or a trust fund, tends to be proportional to your ability to earn it as a skater, ie, if you were sent to very few international competitions and were in a low envelope, you likely had lesser ability to repay that relatively small amount.

What Joshica didn't say in the blog was whether that was a standard contract for everyone, ie, it would be the same contract that would be offered to Chock/Bates, for example, and also if having certain results would extend that two years. Back when Morgan Matthews tried to get a release to skate for Canada, the rules were that they could hold her for up-to-four years, because of either her Junior or 4C's results with Zavozin. (Zavozin was given a release in a much shorter time, although supposedly only after agreeing to repay his ransom to the Hungarian Fed to skate with Nora Hoffmann, but the rules may have changed by then. That or cruelty was the point.)

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I don’t know the drama happening with Lorraine and Anton, or if there was even any as suggested by the wording of their posts. I kept commenting that I thought they’d do Nationals, be buried down the standings, and then split.

While Lorraine may have better skating quality, she’s going nowhere if she doesn’t get out of her camp and doesn’t reinvent the style she constantly tries to give off. Everything is such a vanilla attempt at being sensual, and it looks ridiculous. Wrong outfits, wrong program concepts, wrong facial expressions, IMO just all of it was forgettable.

hoptoad

I think Deanna said in her interview with Polina Edmunds that people she knew in USFS were personally supportive of her career and plans to skate for Canada, but that USFS was (at least currently) applying the same two-year release standard to everyone. I don't think she mentioned anything about either optional or required repayment.

coralline

It’s official! Solo Ice Dance is an ISU event! So excited for this addition and growth of ice dance internationally! The U.S. has some strong contenders especially Brooke Tufts and Lucas Appel!
Great!Now I hope Lorraine can switch to solo dance.

ice coverage

Anton has also posted on his IG -

He says he is still processing everything and plans on looking for a new partner.

To Anton's great credit, his post is exceptionally classy. 🫶
(Beautifully written too. 👍)
I cannot wait to cheer for him at a future competition. 👏

skatfan

litenkyckling

twinsmom

Truly gorgeous: The Browns’ 23/24 FD (All by Myself) in On-Ice Perspectives:

That was stunning! I have really, really liked them since I first saw them in juniors. The music and performance here was so gorgeous! Can't wait to see them at Nationals.

ice coverage

Meryl, Charlie, Tanith, and Ben will be honored at Ice Theatre of New York's 2024 Benefit on Mon May 6 at Chelsea Piers in NYC. :)

Elliana and Ethan Peal hosted a podcast with Team USA pair skaters Olivia Flores and Luke Wang as guests.
(I posted it earlier in U.S. Pairs thread, but thought it was worth mentioning it here too.)

I could not help smiling along throughout this entire conversation. The deep camaraderie is very endearing.
I already had positive feelings about these four skaters, and came away with a stronger sense of each individual.
Lots of laughter, some good anecdotes, also some more serious reflection/thoughts.

(59 minutes, posted Dec 20)​

Last edited:

zee703

I love it when they skate at this outdoor rink in Manhattan (and in their black costumes where all the elements stand out). I wish they'd update their How Do You Like Me Now jr program for senior competition.

peibeck

Simply looking
What’s most crazy to me about that video is that they do appear to be all by themselves... in midtown Manhattan!!! Closing down busy thoroughfares like W. 42nd Street and 6th Avenue to the public and honking traffic to film a skating video??? :eek: Impressed with whoever paid the tab for that feat!

ice coverage

What’s most crazy to me about that video is that they do appear to be all by themselves... in midtown Manhattan!!! Closing down busy thoroughfares like W. 42nd Street and 6th Avenue to the public and honking traffic to film a skating video??? :eek: Impressed with whoever paid the tab for that feat!

As a big fan of Jordan Cowan and of the Browns, I feel pretty sure that streets are not closed for On Ice Perspectives shoots in Bryant Park.
Sometimes Jordan gives a mention of filming early in the morning. For the original Metallica video in 2020 that went viral (now over 28 million views), "6:45 in the morning over the Thanksgiving holiday." For Exogenesis, "just before sunrise ... on Thanksgiving weekend 2021." YouTube description for All By Myself does not specify a time, but the look of the video seems as if it too could be morning golden hour? (Shooting date: Nov 13, 2023.)
The Bryant Park rink is not right up close to the street on any side, so perhaps it helps that any sounds from Sixth Ave, W 42nd, and W 41st are many feet away? (With the massive NYPL building btwn the rink and Fifth Avenue.)
I know nothing about audio engineering, but could post-production also help with any unwanted noise?

Anyway, thanks to Jordan, Oona, and Gage for the latest video!

Last edited:

peibeck

Simply looking
I felt, based on the light between buildings, it was filmed at daybreak. But having worked only blocks from there for several years, there is always, always traffic and people out and about. Anyway, it looks great and I hope this goes viral too.

ice coverage

Will just add that I have attended many an ice show at Bryant Park.
Sometimes I am running late and know that I am missing the first minutes of skating. When I am on foot at the corner of 42nd and Sixth, or 41st and Sixth, rushing to get to the rink itself, I cannot hear the music or announcer from the show. 🤷‍♀️

At least for this year, the park officially opens at 7 am, and the rink officially opens at 8 am. (Off the top of my head, I don't know whether the same was true for previous years.)
Would not surprise me that early access to the rink is arranged for the shoots.

Last edited:

DreamSkates

It’s official! Solo Ice Dance is an ISU event! So excited for this addition and growth of ice dance internationally! The U.S. has some strong contenders especially Brooke Tufts and Lucas Appel!
Could be interesting if everyone can enter the same category - no male or female distinctions as in horseback riding. I know it’s a different sport…but with no jumps, could all skaters be on the same “level”? Not sure what other words to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information