2023 Grand Prix Final - Men FS: “Succession of the Quad Squad”

Andrey aka Pushkin

Playing ping pong with balls of chocolate jam
I think he pretty much could have stopped jumping in the middle of the program and still reach the technical mark of Shoma.

I'm not liking his skating skills and choreo, but a)it's better than the SP, and b)there's as much as one can bitch about skating skills when the boy literally doesn't have any triples lower than axel.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Good job, Ilia. Now please forget to put that costume in your suitcase before you go home.
Better yet, bring it to Nats and let the other IM use it for his FS so that we can still see snark about it but not care since we'll never see it again after that.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
FS results

1​
Ilia MALININUSA
207.76​
121.49​
87.27​
8.82​
8.71​
8.68​
1.00​
#6​
2​
Shoma UNOJPN
191.32​
98.95​
93.37​
9.25​
9.36​
9.43​
1.00​
#5​
3​
Adam SIAO HIM FAFRA
189.92​
102.55​
88.37​
8.86​
8.86​
8.82​
1.00​
#1​
4​
Yuma KAGIYAMAJPN
184.93​
93.12​
91.81​
9.07​
9.11​
9.39​
0.00​
#4​
5​
Kao MIURAJPN
166.67​
82.82​
83.85​
8.43​
8.36​
8.39​
0.00​
#3​
6​
Kevin AYMOZFRA
126.71​
50.42​
80.29​
8.14​
7.86​
8.11​
4.00​
#2​

Overall results

1Ilia MALININ
USA.GIF
USA
2Shoma UNO
JPN.GIF
JPN
3Yuma KAGIYAMA
JPN.GIF
JPN
4Adam SIAO HIM FA
FRA.GIF
FRA
5Kao MIURA
JPN.GIF
JPN
6Kevin AYMOZ
FRA.GIF
FRA

Protocols: http://www.isuresults.com/results/s...------FNL-000100--_JudgesDetailsperSkater.pdf

beckab81

I think he pretty much could have stopped jumping in the middle of the program and still reach the technical mark of Shoma.

I'm not liking his skating skills and choreo, but a)it's better than the SP, and b)there's as much as one can bitch about skating skills when the boy literally doesn't have any triples lower than axel.
He had a 3Z-3A combo. Just insane tech.

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
Beats Shoma by 15 with a fall on the 4A. It must be so demoralising for the other guys. He’s a freak of nature.
Putting a bazillion quads in your program is a high-risk, high-reward strategy. Sometimes it works out for Malinin, like it did today, and he runs away with the event, and sometimes it doesn't. The other guys know he's fallible.

What would demoralise me personally was seeing him get 87 in PCS for a jumping drill with a fall when he could barely move through his steps and didn't hit an edge once, but I guess they're used to it. He totally deserved to win today, but the judges didn't need to do all that.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Personally I prefer this costume to the electrocuted heart he had earlier this season.
Nope. This costume is a straight up fail. The jacket is too long and flaps around obnoxiously at his hips. And the less said about the stoning applied to look like suit lapels on the front and suspenders in the back, the better. Spend some of your GP earnings, kid, on an actual shirt and suit jacket instead of that cheap faux effect.

ETA - I guess it is an actual suit jacket and shirt. The problem is that there's no contrast. It's really just a terrible costume. His original shirt was much better.

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
Malinin's technical prowess is truly phenomenal.

I've not seen a skater so far ahead of their contemporaries since Midori Ito. Like Ito, it may take 30 years for Malinin's tech content to become commonplace.

What would demoralise me personally was seeing him get 87 in PCS for a jumping drill with a fall when he could barely move through his steps and didn't hit an edge once, but I guess they're used to it. He totally deserved to win today, but the judges didn't need to do all that.

Well, the judging is broken all around. Please tell me why Uno got hugely positive GOEs for barely landed jumps.

I don't feel like Malinin got any more of an "unfair boost" than the other guys. I'm not going to pick on Kevin Aymoz given how awful he was today, but he receives enormous PCS for programs that are spent almost entirely on two feet with a few highlight moves thrown in.

They're all ending up with ~10 points more than is fair, one way or another, with the exception of Kagiyama. I'm not an uber of his the way other people here, but he's the only skater in this field whose marks are unassailable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information