Euros 2024 Free Dance: “We Want More Rocky Horror Score”

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Saulius kinda looks like Robby from "Cobra Kai".
I demand a "Cobra Kai"/"Karate Kid" program for Reed/Ambrulevicius for next season!

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
Isn't it a staple of their education system? Most Italians I know (millennials and gen z) are quite fluent in a few languages.

English is mandatory in school, but generally not taught well. Many of the teachers are barely fluent, and English fluency of the population is low by European standards.

That said -- Marco is from Milan, the richest, most international, most cosmopolitan city in Italy. I also presume anyone involved in skating is from at least a moderately wealthy background. I would expect someone with his profile to speak very good English, as he did.

One other thought - Charlene is originally French. Did she speak Italian when they paired up? English may have been their common language until she learned Italian.

Despite his English being excellent, he did make a couple of mistakes that (IMO) someone who spent significant time in the US or UK would generally not make, so I didn't have the same thought as PRlady. I think he has a great voice, speaks authoritatively, and enunciates his words well. He also doesn't have the typical Italian accent in English, or the pattern of adding a vowel sound at the end of every word.

FWIW, his Italian also sounded beautiful to me - very clearly enunciated. As a non-native Italian speaker, I have trouble understanding people who don't speak clearly, but Marco is SUPER easy to understand for me - like 10/10. I'm fine understanding Charlene when she says basic things, but the French accent in Italian is very hard for me, though not hard for any native speaker.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
tss_box_2024_ec_sr_dance_i_long.png

GBR judge not biased at all.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
English is mandatory in school, but generally not taught well. Many of the teachers are barely fluent, and English fluency of the population is low by European standards.

That said -- Marco is from Milan, the richest, most international, most cosmopolitan city in Italy. I also presume anyone involved in skating is from at least a moderately wealthy background. I would expect someone with his profile to speak very good English, as he did.

One other thought - Charlene is originally French. Did she speak Italian when they paired up? English may have been their common language until she learned Italian.

Despite his English being excellent, he did make a couple of mistakes that (IMO) someone who spent significant time in the US or UK would generally not make, so I didn't have the same thought as PRlady. I think he has a great voice, speaks authoritatively, and enunciates his words well. He also doesn't have the typical Italian accent in English, or the pattern of adding a vowel sound at the end of every word.

FWIW, his Italian also sounded beautiful to me - very clearly enunciated. As a non-native Italian speaker, I have trouble understanding people who don't speak clearly, but Marco is SUPER easy to understand for me - like 10/10. I'm fine understanding Charlene when she says basic things, but the French accent in Italian is very hard for me, though not hard for any native speaker.
That tracks, one of the friends of my daughter I am thinking of is from Milan.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
FWIW, his Italian also sounded beautiful to me - very clearly enunciated. As a non-native Italian speaker, I have trouble understanding people who don't speak clearly, but Marco is SUPER easy to understand for me - like 10/10
I figured he was deliberately speaking clearly since he was asked to speak Italian to a crowd of people who mostly don't speak Italian :lol: Even I could understand him, and I don't speak Italian at all!

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I figured he was deliberately speaking clearly since he was asked to speak Italian to a crowd of people who mostly don't speak Italian :lol: Even I could understand him, and I don't speak Italian at all!
Everyone can speak Italian. You just have to make the right moves with your hands.

Which reminds me of a hilarious incident we witnessed in Rome while walking to our AirBNB through some ruins: A dude on his Vespa was somehow cut off by a car driver. He immediately lost it, stopped his vehicle, did the mandatory hand move and screamed: "CHE CAZZO FAI?!"
I love Italy, Italians, their way of driving and reacting to one another. It's very close to my own heart.

GoneWithTheWind

They've said in previous interviews that, when they teamed up, she spoke almost no Italian (and not a lot of English either) so they used Marco's basic French to get by. They also said that now they mainly speak Italian to each other, but use French if they don't want anyone else to know what they're saying! Charlene's English has either improved a lot or she's got a lot more confident with it because in older interviews she seems to mainly let Marco do the (English) talking, or looks at him a lot to check what she's saying is correct.

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother

Marco speaks very good English. He has always answered for the team in English when needed in the backstage. Charleans English has improved in last years. Befor she was very coy withit. I would switch to Italian with her. Her Italian is great. Fiy since they have been around, she is French.

Asli

So happy that Charlene and Marco won! The best Italian couple to date!

I actually found the Rocky program fun, but can't understand how Fear/Gibson are considered rivals for G/F. With their skating quality and whole body movement they look like a couple from the penultimate group. It won't be surprising if they slip down next year IMHO.

How exhilarating for Allison and Saulius! We watch skating for such emotions too! :cheer2:

I'm also delighted that the judges appreciated Loicia and Théo's masterpiece of a program. They must be the talk of the town though, so let's hope the FFSG doesn't stick its claws into the Villard-de-Lans school and try to destroy them. :rolleyes:

AYS

🌻
I'm just dropping in to gush a bit about Demougeot/L-M's performance today, what a moment; that program was not this magical earlier in the season. From the opening dance spin, which was exquisite, the choreography was so nuanced and perfectly expressive of the music all throughout. :cheer:

And wonderful for Reed/A - it was a feel-good program and result. Kudos to them both, but especially Allison for staying the course over her long career, steadily improving and accomplishing more with each passing year.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
It takes emotional intelligence to know your audience and not make it seem like you're talking down to them. In all of the interviews where I've heard him speak, he's always sounded more intelligent than your average bear and tuned in.

They've said in previous interviews that, when they teamed up, she spoke almost no Italian (and not a lot of English either) so they used Marco's basic French to get by.
I remember reading once that she left France to skate with her boyfriend (and was let go because she wasn't considered important), so I had to un-do that thought, since it's hard to be long-distance if you don't have a common language.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information