JGP #4 Osaka - Ice Dance RD & FD

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Kishimoto/Tamura - Mr Roboto! Does IAM ever care about the pattern? Nope. Does it matter? Probably not, lol. They won't lead or come near the top 3 points-wise.

Kateri

void beast
Kishimoto/Tamura is exactly what I want from an 80s dance. Yes.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Bernard/Bonetto - eh. I thought she was better with her former partner, Jochum.

Karen-W

Kim/Lee - nerves got the better of their twizzles today. This felt a lot tighter than their RD at Bangkok. :(

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Koreans cute as ever.

Israelis were my surprise of the event…so long, lean & sharp in those wild race car driver outfits. I almost preferred them to Neset/Markelov.

Sylvia

TBD
RD protocols: http://www.isuresults.com/results/season2324/jgpjpn2023/data0403.pdf

Pl.CompetitorNationTSSTESPCSCOPRSKDeductionStN.
1Leah NESET
Artem MARKELOV
usa.gif
USA
67.3737.2230.157.647.577.460.00#2
2Elizabeth TKACHENKO
Alexei KILIAKOV
isr.gif
ISR
66.7038.2128.497.147.217.070.00#9
3Celina FRADJI
Jean-Hans FOURNEAUX
fra.gif
FRA
61.3432.7928.557.257.187.040.00#6
4Sara KISHIMOTO
Atsuhiko TAMURA
jpn.gif
JPN
56.9730.1826.796.826.826.500.00#10
5Caroline MULLEN
Brendan MULLEN
usa.gif
USA
55.5031.1324.376.256.145.930.00#8
6Chloe NGUYEN
Brendan GIANG
can.gif
CAN
55.2530.7824.476.186.186.040.00#1
7Eva BERNARD
Amedeo BONETTO
fra.gif
FRA
51.2528.4622.795.865.715.570.00#11
8Xuantong LI
Xinkang WANG
chn.gif
CHN
49.2427.3422.906.005.685.541.00#5
9Jinny KIM
Namu LEE
kor.gif
KOR
48.5526.2722.285.685.575.500.00#12
10Layla VEILLON
Alexander BRANDYS
can.gif
CAN
47.9524.4023.556.075.935.710.00#3
11Catharina GUEDES TIBAU
Cayden Oliver DAWSON
bra.gif
BRA
41.1023.2817.824.504.574.320.00#7
12Renee YUEN
Oliver MA
aus.gif
AUS
37.1621.2115.954.213.963.820.00#4

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Replay

Nguyen/Giang

1 key point total on the patterns, commentator said 2 in replay. They are both strong individual skaters with good bladework and extension and they already match nicely with good unison. They could skate closer together, but much better than last JGP on their spacing--no obvious reaching for each other. Cheery choreo.

Neset/Markelov
Moving comfortably across the ice. 3 keypoints on first pattern and one on second. Precise technique combined with freedom in their movement. Good use of music, they capture that 80's feel quite well.

Vellion/Brandys
little struggle from him exiting the twizzles but got through it. They are getting there on the footwork, but need some more precision and depth of edge on the turns and steps to get the levels. Watching them, I just wanted more. Some fun choreographic moments and they do seem into the performance.

Li/Wang
Miles apart on the twizzles. Nice posture. Lift moved nicely across the ice. More work to do on precision in the steps and extension.

Fradji/Fourneaux
Moment of truth for the French. Performing the midline steps with their whole bodies, choreo engages their arms, heads, etc. Good job! 3 key points in patterns. Fast twizzles. Elements nicely integrated into program. Tres Bien.

Mullen/Mullen
Expression looks bigger than last event, good sync on twizzles, could be a bit faster, great level on the patterns--four key points overall. Could add more power to the program to bring to the next level. And they beat the Canadians!

Tkachenko/Kilakov
This field is really too much--so many great teams, it's like a preview of Jr. Worlds. Good twizzles that moved across the ice. Level 4 on pattern! Impressive glide and flow through their steps and unison is on point too. They came to play!

Kishimoto/Tamura
Nice twizzles, good knee bend throughout, seemed to stop performing as they worked their way through the patterns. Nice stationary lift and fun robot choreo. Score was a bit high for what they did technically IMO.

Bernard/Bonetto
Twizzles right at beginning of program so not much speed into them, good level on the first pattern with 3 keypoints, negative GOE on the second, little stumble from her out of twizzle in the midline, rather generic choreo.

Kim/Lee
Dancey start, good first pattern with 3 key points achieved, only base value for second, some work to do on speed, extension, and making the movements big. Good performance quality.

Last edited:

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
I'm not shocked. Though I admit to being biased toward N/M, I thought all along that their components were stronger.

Agreed. I think T/K had the best skating skills of the group today, but were behind N/M on choreography and performance.

If TkaKil continue to score high on TES, their PCS scores will rise with the consistency. Following their career has been a lot of fun!

Agreed. Plus I think realizing that the judges like you will help them perform with more freedom.

I'm really glad that they stuck together during those years where she was a bit taller than him and that eventually his growth spurt solved the size mismatch. Excited to see them continue to improve!

mtnskater

Random thoughts:

The man and the woman in both Neset and Markelov and The Mullens teams have great hair for ice dance for real 😎😅 Also Caroline Mullen looks so much like young Shae-Lynn Bourne to me.

Thought the scoring was pretty good, though I admit I was surprised the Japanese team scored as high as they did. Seemed sloppy and unison not so great. Peppy, but his over use of the “O” face was distracting.

I always found Tkachenko’s posture for dance a bit off as long as I can remember her. Kiliakov is looking great as a dancer. Cute they have been together for so long.

I remember I really liked F&F from France a lot last year but they look like they haven’t progressed a lot this year…too bad.

Hopefully the Korean team will have a good free skate. Was surprised they were behind the Chinese team.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I really like the baby Koreans, but they need to skate faster and bigger. They slowed down to a crawl going into their twizzles, and then they never got their speed back up again.

Karen-W

And we're live! Still here are home with no Xfinity 3.5 hours into their outage and using my cell phone mobile hotspot data instead. Hmph, but we've got the FD on now and I'll survive!

Go NesMark and Mullens!

Karen-W

Brazilians - meh. She's like the Patsy Simcoe of ice dancing - absolutely, entirely prim and proper and will never know anything beyond missionary.

Karen-W

Veillon/Brandys - oh, yeah, the Chaplin program in the non-Chaplin costumes. I just realized, this team has the potential... to be the next gen iteration of Soucisse/Firus.

ETA - my home internet has been restored! Yay! Back to streaming on the TV!

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Vellion/Brandys

"They're about to get all green boxes if they nail their last thing!" -Mini-grace. Good job, some nice smooth movement in the one foot sequence and handled theme well. :)

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Kim/Lee

Would like to see them get down in their knees more in the transitional steps and linking movement, smooth positioning through the straight line lift, perky choreo character steps

I'd have them below the Canadians, both in that their technique wasn't as strong and that the Canadians had a more complete performance.

Karen-W

The backing track they've thrown on to Fly Me To The Moon is the most unhinged thing I've heard all season.
The season is young, but really? I mean, we just had Latinesque Moonlight Sonata over at ACI earlier today.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Commentators have definitely run out of things to talk about if we have to hear about Mark's driving record.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Bernand/Bonetto

Schindler's List in black, one-foot steps performed with ease, not sure about the interpretation here--definitely have somberness, but then there's these quick arm flaily movements that don't necessarily fit. Music switch to something with a techno beat--they are performing this more. Had some technical problems with 3 elements receiving negative GOE.

Karen-W

Li/Wang - these are different costumes than they had in Linz. I liked the other (green) ones better.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Li/Wang

Swoopy movement on the lifts, some spacing issues on twizzles, but completed, moving with nice speed across the ice, good emotion and presentation, program felt fresh and interesting.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Mullen/Mullen

I appreciate the strength of their technique on the one foot steps, think they could get into and out of their lifts with some more ease, very nice unison, he wobbling on twizzles, drama choreo steps. Good blend of technique and presentation.

Karen-W

Mullens - I really enjoy this FD! One of my favorites on the junior scene this season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information